VOGONS

First post, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

y9fPBMxl.jpg

Hey I’m somewhat new to old hardware builds, wanting to make sure I do it right. (Builds log coming soon!)
Was wondering if anyone had a cooler they suggest rocking on one of these modded Tualatin without harming anything, I know it’s slightly thicker so wanted to pop in before I get a random one.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Whilst most coolers will probably fit OK, I think a favourite here would be something like the Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 3 which, as well as a decent heatsink and fan, has a screw-adjustable tension clip (highlighted), and if you don't like the fan style you can change it easily for an 80mm of your choice.

AC_copper_silent_3.jpg
Filename
AC_copper_silent_3.jpg
File size
40.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 10, by x0zm_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've used a Spire WhisperRock IV, the aforementioned Copper Silent III, a waterblock and even forced a couple of stock coolers onto those modded tualatins. Realistically you should be fine with any option, feasibly the larger coolers with the longer mounting brackets, or adjustable mounting brackets will be much better.

Reply 5 of 10, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks guys! Good to hear more stock style coolers can work but I’ll keep an eye out for the coolers mentioned. None sold in recent times on eBay unless they were listed under more generic names.

Reply 6 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, probably wasn't great suggesting all these top coolers if you cant get hold of them 😊 🤣

Another option might be the Akasa AK-786, which is still widely available, slightly smaller 70mm fan, but retains the preferable 6-point clip with a lever-based tension mechanism.

Akasa AK-786.jpg
Filename
Akasa AK-786.jpg
File size
38.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 10, by donhonk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote:

Ah, probably wasn't great suggesting all these top coolers if you cant get hold of them 😊 🤣

Another option might be the Akasa AK-786, which is still widely available, slightly smaller 70mm fan, but retains the preferable 6-point clip with a lever-based tension mechanism.

Akasa AK-786.jpg

Darn, would have gone with this one had I seen it sooner!

Zero_sugar wrote:

I would just bend the clip so there slightly is less pressure.

This is what I ended up doing with a NOS Cooler Master.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bend the clips myself also, works well enough.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜