VOGONS

First post, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Iam trying to get my new toy to work and first of all iam looking for drivers!
It is a Mouse Systems Model M-4 Serial mouse from 1987.

And then iam wondering about the mouse pad, i think the pad i have is the pad that came with the Model M-2 mouse and not the M-4 that i have.. Will it work to use the old pad with the new mouse? 😀
As the mouse is so picky you cant even tilt the pad a little or it will stop working, my guess is the old pad might not work with the new one? 😀
Found them in the same basement, i have to go back and find the right pad or maybe an older mouse would be nice to 😀

DSCN1355.JPG
Filename
DSCN1355.JPG
File size
1.89 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSCN1354.JPG
Filename
DSCN1354.JPG
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 10, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote:

Use Genius serial mouse drivers. Or cutemouse.

Thing is i dont get it to work under windows 95, and i dont know if it is the driver, mouse pad or the mouse that is broke. Apparently it wont work at all with the wrong mouse pad. And i know thats the old mouse pad, so might just be the pad.. Iam going to make another try later today 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dont know if its similar here. For my Genius 3-button mouse I had to keep the left (or left+right?) button pressed while switching on the PC to switch the mouse MS-compatible. Maybe worth a try...

Reply 5 of 10, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Dont know if its similar here. For my Genius 3-button mouse I had to keep the left (or left+right?) button pressed while switching on the PC to switch the mouse MS-compatible. Maybe worth a try...

It was worth a try, but nothing. 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_Roffe_ wrote:

CTmouse just gives me cant find mouse.. 🙁

With cutemouse you have to enable mousesystems support with an extra switch.

As these kind of mice do not have a way of giving feedback like the microsoft-compatible ones, there is no way of detecting their presence. This is one of the reasons why back then I put this kind of mice of my do-not-buy list.
So, if the driver installs, there is still no way to tell whether the mouse works at all.

Back then I preferred the Genius mice (had the best ball/rolls combination, worked very well) and generally soldered in a wire to permanently short the middle button.

Reply 7 of 10, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote:
With cutemouse you have to enable mousesystems support with an extra switch. […]
Show full quote
_Roffe_ wrote:

CTmouse just gives me cant find mouse.. 🙁

With cutemouse you have to enable mousesystems support with an extra switch.

As these kind of mice do not have a way of giving feedback like the microsoft-compatible ones, there is no way of detecting their presence. This is one of the reasons why back then I put this kind of mice of my do-not-buy list.
So, if the driver installs, there is still no way to tell whether the mouse works at all.

Back then I preferred the Genius mice (had the best ball/rolls combination, worked very well) and generally soldered in a wire to permanently short the middle button.

Iam going try find some drivers and open the mouse to see how it looks inside..
But i have a couple of other projects with higher prio 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just got my hands on two Unisys-branded Mouse Systems opticals with a pad that also looks too old... will be hooking them up this evening to see how it goes (with CTMOUSE with the right switches) and will report back here with results.

Reply 9 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Right, a day later than planned, but I tried out my Unisys-branded Mouse systems M4 mice.

They work perfectly, with CTMOUSE.EXE /M doing the trick.

If that doesn't work for you, either you have problems/conflicts around your serial port, or the mouse is dead.

Reply 10 of 10, by _Roffe_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

Right, a day later than planned, but I tried out my Unisys-branded Mouse systems M4 mice.

They work perfectly, with CTMOUSE.EXE /M doing the trick.

If that doesn't work for you, either you have problems/conflicts around your serial port, or the mouse is dead.

I think the Serial port is fine, i have to try that /m parameter and i will come back to you with my answer 😀
Nice that it worked for you with the pad and everything! 😀