VOGONS

First post, by nextria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and need some advise.
Recently I bought a old Medion PC MT5 1Ghz computer to play some retro games.

I installed a PCI SATA card in it so I can use a SATA harddisk.
This is working I partition the harddrive with fdisk, say it should use the maximum disk space, and I will have one partition 430gb and one 570gb.

But for some reason the second partition I have to format with Gparted to acces.
Also the D: disk is not accessible and give me and error that the partition table is wrong, any advice on this ?

the biggest problem I have, is that windows 98 and XP (I have dual boot) run so slow.
I also is in XP everything I do the cpu is at 99%.

In windows 98 its less but it still feels like it should run smoother.
Could it be because I have a SATA harddisk, should I go back to the IDE ?

Please let me know.

The PC hase 256MB ram, and a Geforce 4 4200 TI card.

Reply 2 of 8, by nextria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a DeLOCK 70146, 2xSata/1xIDE, Raid, PCI, after I installed windows 98 I have to install the drivers,
But it does help a little bit, before the driver install it will hang every other second.

On XP it will find the driver when installing the OS.

Reply 4 of 8, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

High CPU usage, especially if nothing in task manager seems to match up with it, can often be caused by excessive system interrupts. This can be caused by driver problems, and might be happening to you. There's a freeware tool called Process Explorer that's like a more detailed Task Manager, and will show if system interrupts are eating your CPU. I'm not sure if it runs on Windows 98, but I've definitely used it on Windows XP.

If that does turn out to be the problem, solving it isn't necessarily easy, but it's a first step. I've run into issues like this before with other hardware like rogue sound cards, and by disabling unwanted bits of hardware it's been possible to solve some problems.

Reply 8 of 8, by nextria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay quick update I opened my pc today while it was running and noticed the fan on my
GPU was but running, the card was also extremely hot.

One of the wires seem to been broken and I fixed this and it looking that it runs better now