ZIDA 4DPS – the story of repairing

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
winuser_pl wrote:

Yeah thats true but show me such board! There are plenty of socket 3 mobos but they are sold at very high price > 100 $ incl shipping to europe it will be 130$

But would it be the worst $130 you ever spent on a computer. I would say no.

Reply 21 of 33, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats lot o money for a hobby 😀
I've found a guy who offers me the replacing of that chips for about 26 USD. Moreover I need to buy both chips and it will costs me 18.9. Thats total 45 USD.
Is it worth doing that? I don't have even guarantee that it will work.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 22 of 33, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

probably not, I don't think both chips would blow. Test them if you have a multimeter small enough or make your own prongs using a sewing needle.

You will still need to find the chips for sale, not so easy and costs too.

I recently changed a chipset on a board I suspected faulty but it wasn't the problem, if I paid somebody to do it id be really pissed, so be certain 100% first

have you tried touching the chipsets with power on to see if they giving any heat?

Reply 23 of 33, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

have you tried touching the chipsets with power on to see if they giving any heat?

Did not tried this, but the cpu goes hot. It is AM486 DX4 @ 100 MHz.
Also the price incl. both chips - they can be obtained from https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/6632666.html

EDIT: I think it is time to say "pass". I've found a motherboard in polish site allegro.pl for about 42 USD. The board is fully functional but has no PCI slots. I think I need to wait for an occasion.

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB

Reply 24 of 33, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could not see any burnt pins on that chip, maybe they are just slightly darkened from corrosion? 50+ USD on any 486 MB is just too much in my eyes, considering that full 486 PCs can still be found localy for 1/3 of that price or even, found dumped. By the way, those 4DPS motherboards are very common, probably 2/3 of all vogons users that are into old PCs have it 😀

Reply 25 of 33, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In Poland we got sick prices. Starting with ~40$ but most of them are priced at 80$ and there are number of boards for about 150$ 😀 It is quite rare product. We got mostly SOCKET 7 boards (but also quite expensive).

Reply 26 of 33, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sucks. I once managed to corrupt BIOS on that same revision 4DPS MB by just fiddling with different CPUs and FSB freqs. Maybe previous owner had done similar rogue damage, which he interpretted as caused by hardware failure and began all sorts of hardware related troubleshooting?

Reply 27 of 33, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
winuser_pl wrote:

Did not tried this, but the cpu goes hot. It is AM486 DX4 @ 100 MHz.

From what you said earlier (the VRM is cold but the CPU hot) it seems to me that the CPU gets 5V.

Just my 2 cents.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 28 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those Zida boards are freakin aDORable. I don't have one -- I've never been a fan of SIS chipsets -- but at some point I'll probably get one, if only to put it in a picture frame and hang on my office wall.

Anyway, if it were me, and this had been a board with a VLSI / UMC / Intel chipset, I would go for the repair and see what happens. It might not work, and then it's money down the drain, but hey, hobbies are never rational. (Though, I would do the soldering myself. Not that $26 is much to ask for the work. Meh, either way.)

Reply 29 of 33, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Replacing the chips shouldn't be that difficult, you just need some hot air, good soldering station, magnifying glass and steady hand. However, it's not worth it. There was other damage on the board as well, so I'd say screw it 😀

Reply 30 of 33, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:

-- I've never been a fan of SIS chipsets --

I'm not a fan of SIS chipsets in general either but for 486 they are very good. SIS471 is probably the fastest for VLB, and the 496 is among the best for PCI.

Intel's 486 chipsets on the other hand... ughhh. But it all changed after the Pentium though.

Reply 31 of 33, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

start by doing a pin test, get a tooth pick and gently rock each pin on the chipset, you will see/feel any lose pin straight away. I also didn't see any burn damage on the pictures

Reply 32 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote:

I'm not a fan of SIS chipsets in general either but for 486 they are very good. SIS471 is probably the fastest for VLB, and the 496 is among the best for PCI. Intel's 486 chipsets on the other hand... ughhh. But it all changed after the Pentium though.

Hm, maybe I need to let go of some old assumptions then. Thanks for chiming in. 😀

Reply 33 of 33, by Robert B

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the pictures I see that the BIOS chip is missing the silver sticker that protects the data on the chip and now it only has a strip of black tape. The chip looks to be a fused quartz window. One of the sides is visible. If that part under the glass is exposed to light it can lose its data. I am not familiar with the EPROM UV erasers or chips but if you could find another BIOS chip or a compatible one you might get a break after all the hard work you put in to save the board.

BIOS Chip 27C010A-12.

27C010A-12.jpg
Filename
27C010A-12.jpg
File size
97.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/74624TI.pdf

http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/zid … tomatoboard.jpg

4-DPS-BIOS-01.jpg S-1.jpg zida-14.jpg

manual http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Zida/ma … ps/4dps0310.pdf

That board should've had a CR2032 socket and you can solder one if you have it.

Check all the pins from both of the chipsets for solder bridges or bent pins.

If you have someone with a BIOS programmer that supports the chip you can check to see if it still has its data. For ex. my Minipro TL866A supports the 27C010A under the TI (Texas Instruments) - TMS27C010A @TSOP32. To erase the chip you would need an UV EPROM eraser but that's out of my area of expertise at the moment.

I repaired a similar board some time ago. I say that yours it is still alive. These socket 3 motherboard can take a beating and still work. Don't give up and try not to throw money away. A chipset replacement might not be the solution. Do it only as a last resort or maybe be pacient and find another motherboard. Keep it simple.

Good Luck! I hope that you will be able to get it to POST.