VOGONS

KVM Switches

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, i finished this for now. I got myself a rs232 switch for the mouse.

WP_20190713_002.jpg
Filename
WP_20190713_002.jpg
File size
166.58 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It is working with my momentary setup. Just have to switch the mouse before booting/starting windows.

Reply 21 of 22, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:
One thing I recommend is getting KVM's that use standard cables. my no name 4 port KVM is good but uses a serial port connecter […]
Show full quote

One thing I recommend is getting KVM's that use standard cables.
my no name 4 port KVM is good but uses a serial port connecter on the KVM side so good luck if I losses a cable.
Where as my 8 port Compaq and most enterprise stuff has the vga and 2 ps2 connecters for each input, so you can buy the kvm cables, or just use a standard vga cable and ps2 extension cables.

Audio really limits your options, I just run audio extension cables from the soundcard up to the KVM and manually plug the speakers into whichever I need

Since I don't need to really switch between different sound sources - never ever using more than one retro computer at once - I'm using a simple homemade passive mixer together with the non audio capable KVM switch my retro computers share the other peripherals through. Posted about it here. Works like a charm, and is really convenient 😀

Except for the extra channels, it's electrically identical to this schematic, using 2k2 resistors. Would also guess something equivalent could be ebayed at a reasonable price if you're not up to some DIY 😀

Edit: the tutorial that schematic came from might be useful too, can be found here.

Reply 22 of 22, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kaputnik wrote:
Since I don't need to really switch between different sound sources - never ever using more than one retro computer at once - I' […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote:
One thing I recommend is getting KVM's that use standard cables. my no name 4 port KVM is good but uses a serial port connecter […]
Show full quote

One thing I recommend is getting KVM's that use standard cables.
my no name 4 port KVM is good but uses a serial port connecter on the KVM side so good luck if I losses a cable.
Where as my 8 port Compaq and most enterprise stuff has the vga and 2 ps2 connecters for each input, so you can buy the kvm cables, or just use a standard vga cable and ps2 extension cables.

Audio really limits your options, I just run audio extension cables from the soundcard up to the KVM and manually plug the speakers into whichever I need

Since I don't need to really switch between different sound sources - never ever using more than one retro computer at once - I'm using a simple homemade passive mixer together with the non audio capable KVM switch my retro computers share the other peripherals through. Posted about it here. Works like a charm, and is really convenient 😀

Except for the extra channels, it's electrically identical to this schematic, using 2k2 resistors. Would also guess something equivalent could be ebayed at a reasonable price if you're not up to some DIY 😀

Edit: the tutorial that schematic came from might be useful too, can be found here.

I like it! Basically the same thing but much more tidy, thanks for the idea 😀