VOGONS

Reply 120 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rio444 wrote:

Could you change Serial port1 in the BIOS from 3F8 to 3E8?

Unfortunately, I already moved HOT-433 v4 board off the test bed in order to test HOT-433 v1. The v1 board has a different layout from v4. Version 1 of this board has an older AWARD BIOS option and a newer WINBIOS option.

HOT433-v1_motherboard.jpg
Filename
HOT433-v1_motherboard.jpg
File size
639.14 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

a) AWARD BIOS - 433AUS23
b) AMI WINBIOS - 433AUS2C

HOT433-v1_AWARD_BIOS.JPG
Filename
HOT433-v1_AWARD_BIOS.JPG
File size
306.37 KiB
Views
File license
HOT433-v1_COM1_Disabled.jpg
Filename
HOT433-v1_COM1_Disabled.jpg
File size
73.64 KiB
Views
File license

When COM1 is disabled with the AWARD BIOS, it stays disabled in Windows 95 Device Manager. When COM1 is disabled with the WINBIOS, COM1 is NOT disabled in the Device Manager. And in the case of the WinBIOS on the HOT-433 v1 (contrary to the HOT-433 v4), I cannot have the emulator card enabled on COM1 without first disabling COM1 in Windows Device Manager, otherwise, the system hangs on boot (same case with NexGen system).

HOT433-v1_COM1_conflict_with_emulator_card.jpg
Filename
HOT433-v1_COM1_conflict_with_emulator_card.jpg
File size
251.14 KiB
Views
File license

However, and contrary to the NexGen system, I was allowed to change COM1 in BIOS from 3F8 to 3E8, and Windows Device Manager now shows COM1, COM2, and COM3 - and the emulator card still is working on COM1. Again, this didn't happen on the NexGen board, which for the same conditions, crashed shortly after loading the desktop.

HOT433-v1_Change_to_3E8_all_COMs_working_now.jpg
Filename
File size
292.35 KiB
Views
File license

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 121 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This shows HOT433-v1 with WINBIOS COM1 set to 3E8. All 3 COM ports how up - COM1 has the emulator, COM2 has a standard Logitech Serial Mouse. I can use both mice at the same time and did not observe any lag with the emulated mouse compared to the real serial mouse.

Filename
File size
292.35 KiB
Views
File license
Testing_two_mice_at_once.jpg
Filename
Testing_two_mice_at_once.jpg
File size
234.42 KiB
Views
File license

This concludes my testing of the RIO444 PS/2-to-serial port emulator card. I'm packing it all away now. Depending on your system with WINBIOS, you may have some extra steps to fix - be it switching the MB's COM1 to 3E8 to turn it into COM3, or if that does not work, like with my NexGen board, then you may have to disable the motherboard's second COM1 port in the Device Mananger prior to using the emulator card. You could also get lucky as with HOT-433 v4, who's BIOS allowed the emulator card to take over the motherboard's COM1, even though COM1 will shows up in Device Manager when it is disabled in BIOS and without the emulator card plugged in.

Reply 125 of 270, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After reading the thread I'm a bit confused; are these cards for sale at the moment? I have an AT MMX machine that has no PS/2 sockets and it annoys me to no end to keep a third mouse in my desk just for this computer, since my KVM doesn't do PS/2 to serial (although, I assume no KVM does).

If they are for sale, I'd be willing to get one. However, I still seem unable to send PMs :[

Reply 127 of 270, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If I navigate to "Compose message" I get this:

We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature.

And when I go through Rio444's profile under contact I can see nothing to click. Maybe it's because I deleted one or two posts in the past, or maybe it's not instant. 😕

Reply 128 of 270, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is possible that the threshold to send PM's has been increased. I don't follow this stuff very closely I'm afraid. Rio444 will come around. As of 2 weeks ago, I think he had a few remaining.

Reply 130 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vorvek wrote:

After reading the thread I'm a bit confused; are these cards for sale at the moment?

Dear vorvek!
From time to time I make batches of adapters. Now all ready-made adapters are sold or in reserve. Also I have components for assembling one adapter. Parts ordered to assemble another batch of adapters. They almost all are received. But the supplier was mistaken and forgot to put one kind of chips into the package. Therefore, I ordered it again. I look forward to receiving it later this month.
I also understand that users need detailed manual for the adapter. It is ready only in Russian. Now I'm busy with another project, but try to make English translation in the next 2 weeks.
If you are satisfied with one adapter, I will assemble it at the beginning of next week and write to you. The next 3 days I will be absent.

You can contact me by email Email.1569054222.png

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 131 of 270, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Manual and drivers --> http://64hdb.mine.nu/mIRROR/PS2SPE/

Contains the following..:

Filename
Mouse_Drivers.zip
File size
839.94 KiB
Downloads
63 downloads
File comment
Compatible drivers (see manual)
File license
Filename
msip20a.zip
File size
906.64 KiB
Downloads
69 downloads
File comment
Win95 surplus driver (see manual)
File license
Filename
PS2SPE_v1.3.pdf
File size
1.47 MiB
Downloads
170 downloads
File comment
Manual - Revision 3
File license

Reply 134 of 270, by Rio444

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many thanks to Kai (aka jaZz_KCS) for helping me translate the manual!
Without his help, you could hardly understand my clumsy English.
I'm sorry for not meeting deadlines. I was too optimistic.
However, a new batch of adapters is ready (10+ pcs).
Today I will email everyone who was interested in earlier.
If someone else wants to buy an adapter, please write me in private messages or e-mail Email.1569054222.png
The prices are the same. The price of one adapter is $ 25. Shipping one adapter is $ 7, shipping 2-3 adapters is $ 9.
1.1574751322.jpg

My e-mail Email.1569054222.png

Reply 135 of 270, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roman, I was wondering, what is the difference between rev1.0 and rev1.1? The only difference I could spot was the missing resistors below XS1, something to do with the program-ability of the Altera chip?

Reply 137 of 270, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

I thought it was he added a com3 option. thats the difference.

No, the COM3 usage was already an "undocumented feature", which was implemented (and documented 😁 ) in rev1.0 and the Guide/Manual. My cards can do it, and they are rev1.0

Reply 138 of 270, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Revision 1.0 Mustard race (everything soldered) 😎

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.