VOGONS

First post, by Efflixi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had two Pentium 3 1133MHz cpu's and 4 sticks of PC133 SDRAM for a while. I finally found a good deal on a dual socket 370 motherboard on ebay that supports them (most only support coppermine, these are tualatin cores) and I bought it. There are a few hitches with the motherboard though and I wanted some suggestions from you guys.

1. It's a server motherboard, this means it's got an 8MB ATI Rage chip onboard for graphics as well as a Ultra160 SCSI chip onboard.
2. It only a single expansion slot and it's a 3.3v 64bit 66MHz PCI-X slot.

If you need more info here's a link to the actual specs: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboa … E-SL/P3TDER.cfm

I am realizing after doing some research that my choice of motherboard will be limiting what I can do with this setup, mostly due to graphics limitations. I don't think a single gaming graphics card was ever released for PCI-X. It's all workstation class cards and they are extremely expensive still on ebay even if they'd be super slow these days. I'll most likely be using either Windows 2000 Pro, or XP Pro, I haven't decided yet. So, with that in mind... here's my questions:

1. What are my options for 3d graphics cards that would be supported in older games?
2. Aside from vintage gaming, what are some other options that I can use this hardware for?
3. Any decent EATX cases for cheap out there?
4. Anything else I might be missing for this setup?

Reply 1 of 6, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you used it for a (file) server and didn't want SCSI drives you could add a SATA RAID card, Promise had some cheap 64-bit 66Mhz PCI cards with XP / Server 2003 drivers but then you're limited to 10/100 network (~10MB/s) speeds.

If you went with XP for gaming, you wouldn't be gaining any better compatibility over running a Sandy/Ivy Bridge system where you have a massive choice of Geforce cards up to GTX 960. On this system, the better the GPU the more it'll be bandwidth starved by 32-bit 33Mhz PCI unless it's one of those workstation cards you found; even then, you'd fare better with the cheapest Ivy Bridge Dell Optiplex and GTX 750 or many even cheaper predecessors.

Might be OK for Windows NT4 where you can run many Win95 era titles with more stability and maybe DOS 6.22 for those that won't. Soundblaster Live isn't a terrible choice if those OSs run well (not guaranteed).

EDIT: the board has no sound so if you wanted to game, your options are limited further by the single PCI slot, there are parallel port soundcards for DOS if your favorite DOS titles don't like the ATI Rage XL but things are getting very sub optimal by that point.

Last edited by BushLin on 2019-06-16, 05:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 2 of 6, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There weren't many PCI X graphics cards. Apparently a firegl card exists, although I don't know the model. The only card I know of for sure is the Matrox Parhelia DL256. It is roughly the same speed as an 8500le. For windows 98 games, I think you would be better off with a PCI fx 5500. It might be a touch slower overall, but it will support table fog and 8 bit textures, and it a lot easier to find.

As for what you can do with a dual P3 setup, not a lot. Windows 98 doesn't address the second CPU at all, so you will have to install a later version of windows or windows server to make full use of it. At that point, from a pure performance stand point, there a lot of setups that make more sense.

Reply 3 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not only is it a server motherboard, but its a RACKMOUNT server motherboard.

Its designed to fit into a rack. You are going to have to fight to get it to work in anything else. That scsi connector will be a PITA to finger out.

but to answer your questions:

1: Quite a few video cards will work fine with PCI. the options are bountiful. The nvidia 6200 comes to mind. The onboard works very well for dos era games, btw
2: I'd look into a linux router or something similar. Grab a dual-channel gigabit pci-x nic and you are good to go.
3: You aren't going fit that board into a regular case without mods.
4: I'd start with a standard atx motherboard. Less hassle, less things to go wrong.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 6, by Efflixi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea, I pretty much realized everything you guys brought up AFTER I bought the motherboard. I was only researching if it was compatible with a 1GHz+ Tualaltin p3 and not if it had other features I needed. The rackmount issue wouldn't be that hard to solve as I'd most likely be using a SCSI 160 to SD (or CF) adapter and boot off that. My biggest single limitation is no built in sound which means to do anything other than server functions (derp, it's a server mobo) I'd have to use the single available slot for a sound card which would limit me to the onboard 8MB ATI Rage. That'd be ok if all i wanted to do was play 3d games from 1996 and nothing newer... which isn't the case and would be a waste of the power of the rest of the system.

Sigh... I expect what I'll do now is put the CPU's and RAM I've got now into it and just sell it to someone who needs the mobo + cpu + ram combo.

Reply 5 of 6, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Efflixi wrote:

SCSI 160 to SD (or CF) adapter and boot off that.

Once you see the price of those adapters, you're likely to change your mind. If you do follow that particular rabbit down its hole, be super careful which adapter you get.

My biggest single limitation is no built in sound which means to do anything other than server functions (derp, it's a server mobo) I'd have to use the single available slot for a sound card which would limit me to the onboard 8MB ATI Rage. That'd be ok if all i wanted to do was play 3d games from 1996 and nothing newer... which isn't the case and would be a waste of the power of the rest of the system.

IIRC you can put 2 pci cards in the system if you get the correct pci-x riser and subsequent rackmount case. If that's helpful. 😜 The 2u chassis for this board is SC822R-400RC. None are on ebay at the moment. But its likely if you do find the proper chassis, its highly likely to have the motherboard included. soo..... yea...

Sigh... I expect what I'll do now is put the CPU's and RAM I've got now into it and just sell it to someone who needs the mobo + cpu + ram combo.

Sadly.... I can't refute this. I'm probably the biggest fan of dual-cpu systems here and decades ago I fell into the same pitfalls you have here. I don't feel you should be dissuaded from dual-cpu systems, but 2-cpu is certainly a complication on system building.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 6, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on which OS you run and if you weren’t trying to maintain SB compatibility, you could go with a usb sound card.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!