First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting thing I found tonight -

1QCJpyll.jpg

ApBIedel.jpg

I plugged in the correct voltage and polarity, the speakers made a slight pop, and otherwise there is no difference in sound output. The regulator does get hot, and there are no jumpers on the board.

How to use this?

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 4 of 6, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:

It was a power output...

How was it?

It still is:

7Nika0fh.jpg

I don't see why I would damage anything by supplying the exact power and polarity that the source is outputting. Would boosting a car with another car damage the source car's charging system, or connecting two water hoses together and then having them put out the same flow/pressure into each other cause one to fail? This is just simple DC power, there's no phasing to worry about, nor is there anything drawing any current 😉

TIL the ISA bus is powerful enough to supply power to external speakers. Out of curiosity, how many mA do you guys reckon this kind of output is good for?

Reply 5 of 6, by watson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

I don't see why I would damage anything by supplying the exact power and polarity that the source is outputting.

If anything, you can be right about 100% certain that the voltage from these two sources wasn't exactly the same.
Sure, the difference might be negligible and the resulting current was probably tiny, but you can't say you didn't get lucky.
I'm guessing the AC adapter output is regulated, which certainly helped. With an unregulated adapter the no-load voltage can be significantly higher than the nominal voltage.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The power adapter is from a KVM switch, I reckon it's regulated - of course it's a sealed unit so I can't check what's inside, and I don't have a scope to see if there's a sawtooth coming out of it.

Some luck (and equipment tolerance) was a factor though. 😁

*edit - I think the take-home for me would be to not assume it's an input and measure first. Also the manufacturer could have put "DC-OUT" on the I/O shield, de-mystifying the port. 😊