VOGONS

First post, by Postiave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new here, whatever. I've just got nowhere else to go for advice, and this problem has really confused me.
So, I have a Gigabyte GA-6WMM7 (Rev 4.1) board, with a 500mHZ Celeron, and 64MB of PC100 RAM. (I did have a Maxtor 60GB HDD, but I removed it to rule it out as an issue. It did nothing.)
I'm using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard, and an old CRT I found.
I'm trying to install windows, but I have no idea how to set up the BIOS (to change boot devices), as it won't let me interact with it.
I've tried messing with the jumpers (which I have all now put back), trying USB keyboards, removing hardware, adding hardware, resetting the CMOS battery, replacing the CMOS battery, nothing is working.
I have no idea what to do at this point.

The BIOS is working, as the time is moving, and the keyboard is working, and is powered, as I can press F2 to get into the BIOS.
I tried to see if there was a boot devices option, but all of the upper 'F' keys just go into the BIOS.
Let me know what I should try next.

why no computer

Reply 1 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you can get into the BIOS, but once you're in, you can't navigate in it? If arrow keys aren't working, maybe try a PS2 keyboard instead of USB.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Postiave wrote:

The Microsoft Internet keyboard IS USB, that's what's confusing me.

No. I said try a PS2 keyboard INSTEAD of a USB keyboard.

Reply 5 of 21, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sometimes when you have an error, like the notification that the CMOS has been cleared but you already hit the regular button to go into the BIOS, it is stuck like you describe. In this case don't hit the key to enter the BIOS, allow the message to appear and press whatever button it says to enter the BIOS.

May not be your problem but I have hit this once or twice.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 6 of 21, by Postiave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As far as I knew, this Motherboard's way of resetting the CMOS was changing a jumper, and turning the system on, then turning it off.
When I reset the CMOS, I did this, waited 30 seconds (There was no display input) and then turned it off. Turned it back on, and the date was reset. June 2001 or something like that. No messages when turning on the system.

My problem is that I get no errors, I just can't do anything inside the BIOS. I have no idea what's up.

why no computer

Reply 8 of 21, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On JP26, is there a jumper between pins 1 and 2?

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 10 of 21, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It probably locks up as it hits the bios, you can't even get out of the bios right?. Could be due to a memory problem or psu, try replacing them first and reseat every card making sure the connectors are clean as well.
Also reseat the cpu.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 11 of 21, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have any other PS2 keyboards you could try? Maybe there is a stuck key or there is some key buffering issue. I second meljor's suggestions: change/reseat ram, cpu, and even cmos battery on mobo.

Reply 12 of 21, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GA-6WMM7... that brings back memories. Generally pretty solid board, albeit with the bad performance inherent in the i810's shared memory architecture. Some boards actually had 4MB of onboard display buffer to solve that, but they were rare.

As for issues... two spring to mind.

First off, it's a turn-of-the-millennium board, so check for capacitor plague.
Secondly, sometimes the NVRAM could get itself into a rut. Whay you can try is an ESCD reset, so unplug the system from mains and keep the power button pressed for ~10 sec. Then connect power again and see if that helped.

Oh, and keep JP23 on normal mode.

Failing that, try being creative: what device does it try to boot off? What happens if you put a bootable medium there (i.e. a HDD with DOS on it)?

Reply 13 of 21, by Postiave

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The capacitors are seemingly all good. I dug out an old 3.5 inch floppy drive, and I'm gonna mess with that for a while.
There might be a possibility that the BIOS isn't supporting the keyboard because of all of the extra stuff on there (hotkeys, function keys? and whatnot),
so I've ordered a cheap basic PS/2 keyboard.
Hopefully when it comes, I can see if it's the keyboard, or the BIOS.

why no computer

Reply 14 of 21, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There shouldn't be any issue with newer (relatively) PS2 keyboards. The bus is the same as it has been since the AT days. Just new scan codes for the keys that didn't exist back then. Maybe there's a key stuck, like CTRL or something? That could be changing how the BIOS interprets the keys you're pressing to navigate. My local thrift shops often have a stack of keyboards that are priced at "somebody please take these" and ninety-nine cents. Might help to rule out the KB.

I have a couple Asus boards that play dead when the CMOS battery fails. You said you replaced the battery.. is the replacement new, decent quality, and does it measure a little over 3V? Just asking because some of those dollar-store batteries have arrived DOA in my experience.

Reply 16 of 21, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Postiave wrote:

As far as I knew, this Motherboard's way of resetting the CMOS was changing a jumper, and turning the system on, then turning it off.

And then you changed the jumper back? (Not that it should really affect navigating the BIOS settings, but...)

Reply 18 of 21, by LieboOSBA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same board in a Packard Bell iConnect that I picked up recently and its exhibiting strange behaviour like only booting with the jumper in "safe" mode (there's a jumper for normal/save/recovery). I was wondering if you happen to have come across the latest BIOS for this board I can try flashing it?

LBX Computers

Reply 19 of 21, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LieboOSBA wrote on 2022-05-14, 17:49:

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but I have the same board in a Packard Bell iConnect that I picked up recently and its exhibiting strange behaviour like only booting with the jumper in "safe" mode (there's a jumper for normal/save/recovery). I was wondering if you happen to have come across the latest BIOS for this board I can try flashing it?

Is this your baord? - http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/houston4.htm - if so this seems to be listed as a BIOS update (tho you don't say which version you're currently running) - https://www.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php … 42bd4ddac49ae72