VOGONS

First post, by BootROMError8046

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, so I have a question, here's the backstory:
I have a slot 1 mobo (lucky star 6abx2v rev 1.2) in my retro rig, and I want to update its BIOS.
After searching for the correct BIOS, I've stumbled upon a 3rd party bios that natively supports tualatin CPUs via slotkets!
I currently have a 1.0 GHz coppermine inside but want to spec out this mobo.
The problem is that the BIOS image is for 2Mb flash chips, while my mobo has a 1Mb flash chips.
I have another slot 1 mobo (not working) that has a 2Mb flash, and I want to flash the custom BIOS onto that chip, though unfortunately my only searching results for how to program a DIP32 flash only gave me PLCC32 to DIP32 adapters for sale.
Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated! 😀

Reply 1 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

best get a programmer, the cheap TL866 family will work fine

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 6, by BootROMError8046

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I can't order stuff in the web because I'm too young to have a credit card, but is it theoretically possible to flash the wrong bios on purpose on the broken board if I'll be able to fix it (needs a recap but I know how to solder) with the image I want, then putting the IC in the working board?

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see
well you can read about "hot swapping" methods - I never tried any so I can't comment on them...
where are you located? from what I understand you just need a 27c020 type eprom (256kbytes) with a bios written to it, right?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can write and send you a BIOS in a 020 type eprom for free - it will work just don't try to flash it on the mobo , this function won't work.
I will send you my email on PM so you can tell me what you want 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I see
well you can read about "hot swapping" methods - I never tried any so I can't comment on them...
where are you located? from what I understand you just need a 27c020 type eprom (256kbytes) with a bios written to it, right?

I wouldn't do hot swapping methods personally. Sure it does work, but the risk is just so much greater than the cost of a proper programmer.

Or as noted later in the thread, someone being a champ and sending a pre-programmed BIOS 😀