VOGONS

First post, by Pizmo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I'm trying to get cute mouse to work with my old laser 386 with a serial mouse, but I'm dumb and cant make it work. When cute mouse is enabled it automatically assigns the mouse to com #1, but my 9 pin rs232 connector is listed as com #3.

According to the cute mouse instructions command /s [c] is how your change com ports, but again I am dumb and do not understand what that means. Can someone explain this to me like you were explaining it to a small child so that i can understand it.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware related questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 5, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pizmo wrote:

According to the cute mouse instructions command /s [c] is how your change com ports, but again I am dumb and do not understand what that means. Can someone explain this to me like you were explaining it to a small child so that i can understand it

I would assume it translates to the command for COM3 as:
[code]CTMOUSE.EXE /s3[/code]
You can add the irq to the end, without a space, if it doesn't work OR have it scan for serial before PS/2 using the /V switch instead
[code]CTMOUSE.EXE /V[/code]

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 5, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

I would assume it translates to the command for COM3 as:

Actually, it would translate to:

CTMOUSE.EXE /S C3

That's probably what I originally wrote but then I tried it out. I don't have a serial mouse to test but the error changed to something like 'device not found' when using the syntax I later edited; rather than complain about the switch not being valid.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.