VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there an adapter available that will convert a standard 3.5" floppy drive cable connector to a 5.25" floppy drive cable connector?

I am asking because I have found an adapter that converts a 3.5" floppy drive to USB via an internal connection to a USB 2.0 header. I want to do the same thing with a 5.25" floppy drive, but, of course, the connector for the 5.25" floppy is not compatible with this USB adapter.

Therefore, I am looking to see if there is a adapter that will connect between the standard 3.5" floppy cable and the 5.25" floppy drive.

I did a quick search, but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• usb floppy.jpg
    Filename
    usb floppy.jpg
    File size
    56.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by tegrady on 2019-08-04, 19:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually I'm more intested by the 3.5" to USB adapter rather than 3.5" to 5"1/4 ^^
(By the way, there are many floppy cables that provide both connectors)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 14, by JudgeMonroe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Actually I'm more intested by the 3.5" to USB adapter rather than 3.5" to 5"1/4 ^^
(By the way, there are many floppy cables that provide both connectors)

It's likely that the USB adapter *is* the cable, i.e., it does not provide an opportunity to use your own cable.

Reply 3 of 14, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I updated my original post to include a picture of the USB adapter. I need something to convert the 34-pin "cable" shown to allow it to plug into a 5.25" floppy drive. Thanks.

Reply 4 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wouldn't be hard to make your own - all you'd need is a short length of old floppy cable with a suitable 34 pin female edge connector at one end and a 34-pin male IDC ribbon connector at the other.

Reply 5 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well sure this might not be something I can make myself, but perhaps you can buy it new ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 14, by Mister Xiado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like a missed opportunity, if it doesn't play ball with 5.25" drives. Of course, I used to use a 5.25" floppy drive with my Windows 7 system, but its motherboard still had a floppy connector.

That's right, it's a DVDRW drive.png
Filename
That's right, it's a DVDRW drive.png
File size
15.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

b_ldnt2.gif - Where it's always 1995.
Icons, wallpapers, and typical Oldternet nonsense.

Reply 8 of 14, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) USB 5.25" drives have existed, but they're extremely rare. ( http://www.deviceside.com/fc5025.html )

2) Generally external USB 3.5" chipsets don't support 5.25" drives, but I can't speak to this one as I haven't seen it before. So you probably won't be able to use it with a 5.25" drive.

But if you do, let us know where you got it so we can buy them out of stock!

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 9 of 14, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Such adapters do exist, but you can not connect a 5.25" disk drive via USB. It simply won't work.

Where can I find one so that I can give it a try? Thanks.

Reply 10 of 14, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Theoretically you could create a coupler using 2.54mm header pins so you can just plug an old FDD cable into it

2x36IDCHeader_2-800.JPG

They can be cut down to the correct length using wire cutters and the blank pin can be pulled out with pliers, might be worth addig a couple of cable ties to hold it all together. The main question would be whether one of the USB adapters would support a 5.25 drive, I've looked at them in the past when I've thought about adding an internal 3.5" drive to my modern computer.

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 11 of 14, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've seen adapters to connect 3,5" fdd to 5,25" fdd ribbon cable (in fact I have at least 5 of them), but the other way around - nope (it doesn't mean they don't exist of course).

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 12 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe someone could make a universal USB fdd controller out of an arduino such as the arduino leonardo ? (One could push the thing even further maybe by making it a more permissive controller to backup protected games/write to Amiga/mac floppys)

Reply 13 of 14, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Maybe someone could make a universal USB fdd controller out of an arduino such as the arduino leonardo ? (One could push the thing even further maybe by making it a more permissive controller to backup protected games/write to Amiga/mac floppys)

There is such controller already and it's called KryoFlux.
https://webstore.kryoflux.com/catalog/product … &products_id=28

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 14 of 14, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah but that one is quite expensive, I thought about a cheaper and free alternative.

Edit maybe doing this with a raspberry pi zero would be cheaper and need less low level programming ? (at least for testing proposes)