VOGONS

Reply 160 of 440, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would data from a Cyrix mII-266GP be of use? Because if you want it I will install Windows on it just for science..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 161 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Would data from a Cyrix mII-266GP be of use? Because if you want it I will install Windows on it just for science..

it won't be necessary, I tested on two MII CPUs so far. But thanks anyway.

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 162 of 440, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any chance for memory detection beyond SPD? Basically reading the chipset memory configuration? It should give a pretty precise information at least on Intel chipsets.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 163 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GL1zdA wrote:

Any chance for memory detection beyond SPD? Basically reading the chipset memory configuration? It should give a pretty precise information at least on Intel chipsets.

You mean the memory frequency and timings ?

That should be reported on some chipsets :
- UMC UM8881.
- Ali M1489/1487, M1531, M1541.
- SiS 85C496/497, 85C501/502/503..
- VIA Apollo VP3/MPV3.
- Intel 430LX/TX/HX, 440FX/LX/BX.

If you have in mind another chipset please let me know, if the documentation is available I can try to add it.

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 164 of 440, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, frequency, timings and mode (FPM/EDO). Mode can be different per "bank" on some chipsets. I'm specifically looking for the 430FX and 420EX.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 165 of 440, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have some documentation about the UMC8881 that describes the registers of the chipset ? I haven't been able to find anything...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 166 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote:

Do you have some documentation about the UMC8881 that describes the registers of the chipset ? I haven't been able to find anything...

No plain documentation unfortunately, but a cfg file from Ctchip34 with the description of several registers.

Attachments

• Filename
    Um881.cfg
    File size
    6.03 KiB
    Downloads
    90 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 167 of 440, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CuPid wrote:
Tiido wrote:

No plain documentation unfortunately, but a cfg file from Ctchip34 with the description of several registers.

Tiido: no luck so far, only wiretap has maybe seen one and he is perhaps under an NDA: UMC8881/8886 Datasheet 🙁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 168 of 440, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I saw that thread a while ago, it is a shame... I would love to see many of those documents ~

Anyway that little piece of configuration file does point to a good direction. It seems everything is done in PCI conf space rather than in some IO port stuff. It shouldn't take too much effort to figue out what all the bytes do when one goes about changing values in BIOS and seeing what changes.

Thänk you ~

Reply 169 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If this can help I also added a register dump for the two PCI devices.
As you can see on the host, the most interesting registers are between 0x50 and 0x5F, all others (except the pci header) are 0.

Attachments

• Filename
    UMC8881.txt
    File size
    2.81 KiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 170 of 440, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't actually have any hardware with the chipset yet but it is in the todo list to get some, and also develop an UMB driver and perhaps some performance tweaking utils, so I'm thinking ahead haha. Looks like there aren't many registers so figuring things out shouldn't be too difficult once the time comes.
I just got excited because there are no documentation around that I know of and then suddenly I see that this program can reveal some info, suggesting something is around.

I'll have to run this on some of my old hardware, I got a variety of 486 chipsets (Intel, ALi, SiS, OPTi + intel, AMD and Cyrix CPUs) around and few 386 ones too (ALi, Forex, also TX486DLC CPU). Limiting factor is lack of Win95 on most of the hardware to actually run CPU-Z.

Reply 171 of 440, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you need test results for VIA Eden, C7 or Luke CoreFusion (all BGA)? I finally cleared space to do some testing before I thin out my motherboard collection, and I have about 8 VIA ITX boards to test if it helps. None will be before Boxing day, but once I get started, I plan to test and benchmark at least one board a day, as long as I have enough flash drives to use 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 172 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:

Do you need test results for VIA Eden, C7 or Luke CoreFusion (all BGA)? I finally cleared space to do some testing before I thin out my motherboard collection, and I have about 8 VIA ITX boards to test if it helps. None will be before Boxing day, but once I get started, I plan to test and benchmark at least one board a day, as long as I have enough flash drives to use 😀

yes, thanks !

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 174 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RiP wrote on 2020-01-09, 20:28:

Possible to make a DOS version like Speedsys too?

DOS has a lot of memory constraints, and I'm not sure that all hardware-level accesses can be made with an extender like Watcom's DOS4GW.

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 175 of 440, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS32/A should be a current up to date replacement to DOS4GW. Maybe they also have addressed all the concerns?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 176 of 440, by CuPid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-01-18, 12:03:

DOS32/A should be a current up to date replacement to DOS4GW. Maybe they also have addressed all the concerns?

I did not know about that update, this is definitely worth a test.

I need a vacation.

tbmtg3-99.png
zav4kj-99.png

Reply 177 of 440, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! Are you still looking for testers? I have some older hardware I can try it on.

I have a few 486DX 75Mhz laptops (Windows 95,), a few different PIIIs (Windows 98SE,) and a Pentium D (Windows Vista).