VOGONS

Reply 140 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

it only detected 16MB, so it may be possible that it has 2x32+2x8MB SIMMs in it.

Thank you, after comparing the latest save with the previous all looks good. Given it reported 16MB then I expect it must be 2x32+2x8MB as this is the only way to end up with 80MB.

Reply 141 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SIV 5.41 Beta-27 has support for reporting the GPU and Memory clocks for FX 5000 and earlier (NV10 to NV38) GPUs on Windows NT/2K/XP/7/10 systems even when the driver does not support NVAPI. There is no Windows 9X support.

The clocks should be on the initial screen and Menu->Machine->GPU Info should look similar to as below. If you suspect an incorrect speed is reported the I need to see the [GPU Information] screen.

file.php?id=68311

Attachments

• RXP.png
    Filename
    RXP.png
    File size
    69.15 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV reporting the NVidia NV15 GPU Clocks
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 142 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:
Vynix wrote:

it only detected 16MB, so it may be possible that it has 2x32+2x8MB SIMMs in it.

Thank you, after comparing the latest save with the previous all looks good. Given it reported 16MB then I expect it must be 2x32+2x8MB as this is the only way to end up with 80MB.

I just had a look, and yes your assumption about the SIMMs is correct, two of the SIMMs I have installed have memory chips on one side (these are the 8MB ones), the 32MB ones have two large chips on each side.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 143 of 1037, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote:

[*]CPU-0 is Pentium MMX rather than a Pentium MMX MP, might this be the reason for your stability issues?

It's as far as I can tell the COAST cache stick which does not want to stay put. My first try was with tape, but as the cache rams heated up, the duct tape gave way, so the system rebooted.

Not too sure whether my current solution will hold, but at least it looks the part with the fluo coloured thread.

Webcam-1567962779.png
Filename
Webcam-1567962779.png
File size
263.01 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
red-ray wrote:

[*]After I fixed [Chipset MCH] I realised the motherboard had eight SIMM slots, so how come the BIOS only sets up four in the DMI? I suspect if you move the SIMMs from slots 6 + 7 to 2 + 3 all 4 will be reported in the DMI data.

Perhaps the system reports per couple? I've switched 2 *32 to the left, so what the manual describes as 2*Bank 0 and 2*Bank 1 is now filled up.

red-ray wrote:

[*]Please may I have SIV_DUALP233.dmi? This is the raw data that the [Machine] panel displays and SIV runs better in test mode when I have it.[/list]

See attachment, I've run this with your latest beta.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_DUALP233_5.41b27.zip
    File size
    147.01 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license

Reply 144 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flupke11 wrote:

Not too sure whether my current solution will hold, but at least it looks the part with the fluo coloured thread.

Thank you for checking out the new beta, posting the new save files and good luck with keeping the cache in place.

With the DMI it's quite common on these old boards that not all the SIMMs are there, my Gigabyte GA-686DX has six SIMM slots, but there are only the first four SIMMs are in the DMI, I have 6 x 64MB.

SIV now get's most things correct, but I will change DIMMs to SIMMs for Beta-28 and after looking in the .DMI file managed to get SIV to display Tyan S1562D (i430HX-2A59FT59C-00) as the name.

It's great to finally know SIV does OK on a Dual Pentium 1 system 😁

Reply 145 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here are some results from my P166 MMX from Win98SE and NT4, appended .txt to the dmi file such that the forums upload accepts it.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_DOSE.dmi.txt
    File size
    128 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_DOSE.txt
    File size
    400.9 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
  • siv_nt4.png
    Filename
    siv_nt4.png
    File size
    771.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P166MMX.txt
    File size
    219.52 KiB
    Downloads
    42 downloads
    File license
  • siv_win98se.png
    Filename
    siv_win98se.png
    File size
    402.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 146 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Here are some results from my P166 MMX from Win98SE and NT4, appended .txt to the dmi file such that the forums upload accepts it.

Thank you and it's interesting to compare what SIV reports when run on NT4 and 98SE, to SIV looks to have correctly reported the CPU + Chipset information on both systems. I will see if I can find out how to report the Victory Erazor clocks, do any utilities report them?

The BIOS does not provide SMBIOS/DMI data so on NT SIV went looking for this and found some, but not the motherboard maker and model. Please tell me what it is so I can try and improve things.

For 5.42 I am planning to add Voodoo1 + Voodoo2 reporting and so far have Voodoo1 working on XP and later, does this system a 3Dfx.ini file and if so can you post it?

Do you have any XP or later systems with Voodoo2 and/or can you post a registry save of HKLM\Software\3Dfx Interactive\Voodoo2 from any system with a Voodoo2?

Appending .TXT worked OK, but I would have been inclined to ZIP all 3 files.

file.php?id=68706

Attachments

• RK3.png
    Filename
    RK3.png
    File size
    35.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    3dfx Voodoo1 3D on Windows XP
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 147 of 1037, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is some from a Dual P233MMX on Tyan S1653 Pentium PCI-ISA Mainboard. Graphics card is a Kyro II PCI, thats why it says AGP disabled. First half of memory is EDO, second half FPM because the mainboard shows memory errors with EDO on second half when reading with CPU 1. (This was pretty annoying to diagnose btw)
edit: http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_graphics_c … _pci_front.html
edit: It has 512 kB L2 Cache

The P166MMX uses a Gigabyte GA-586HX 2.01 mainboard: exactly this one http://retronn.de/imports/hwgal/hw_gigabyte_ga586hx2.html

ELSA Victory Erazor should be 100 MHz Core and SGRAM, 230 MHz DAC. I think Powerstrip 2.78 reports the clocks.

I have to look later if there is a 3dfx.ini available.
I can put an XP system together with V2 SLI. Would you like to have default driver or FastVoodoo 4.6 ?

Attachments

• Filename
    dual_p233mmx.zip
    File size
    169.54 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license
  • siv.png
    Filename
    siv.png
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 148 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

EDO on second half when reading with CPU 1. (This was pretty annoying to diagnose btw) edit: It has 512 kB L2 Cache
I can put an XP system together with V2 SLI. Would you like to have default driver or FastVoodoo 4.6 ?

Again, thank you. If you check Menu->Hardware->Chipset->Chipset MCH both the EDO + FPM SIMMs are reported. I did not expect mixed setups so just the first type is displayed on the initial screen.
[Chipset MCH] also reports L2 Cache Not Populated and [Machine] reports L2 External Cache Cur: 0 which is why SIV does not report 512KB, what does CPUZ report and might it be disabled?
I also spotted the SMBIOS/DMI data only reports 4 of the 8 SIMMs.

I just spotted CPU-1 is MP (Type 2), but CPU-0 is not. Do you know if there is any difference? I assumed both CPUs need to be MP, but I guess not.

Rather than 3dfx.ini it may be [3dfx] within win.ini, but I suspect it may only be on W9X.

A Voodoo2 in an XP system would be great, the SIV 5.41 release should report it, the attached 5.42 3dfx-00 should report more and should also report Gigabyte GA-586HX, just drop the files over the 5.41 release.
I have no views on which driver, how about start with the default and once things are looking good move onto the FastVoodoo ?

Reply 149 of 1037, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

I accidentally read about this tool and that you would like to see verification of it on a Voodoo5 6000. Yesterday, I had a few minutes and switched cards on my 3dfx system (exchanged the regular 5500 with the 6000). The tool launched without issues and shows the correct clock rates for VSA-100 and memory. Attached is the initial screenshot of SIV, right after launching it (I have only blacked out the user name). Do you need the save local file too?

SIV_RETRO2-PC.png
Filename
SIV_RETRO2-PC.png
File size
26.45 KiB
Views
File comment
SIV initial screenshot
File license

Edit: Typo correction.

Last edited by voodoo5_6k on 2019-09-16, 10:46. Edited 1 time in total.

END OF LINE.

Reply 150 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
voodoo5_6k wrote:

Do you need the save local file too?

Thank you, it's good to know SIV worked on a 3dfx Voodoo5 6000. I would like to see what Menu->Machine->GPU Info + [ PCI Bus ] report and in an ideal world to have the two save files (both the .DMI + .TXT). If you prefer to post them you could encrypt them and PM me the password.

I noticed SIV failed to report any motherboard sensors and if I get the save files suspect I can adjust SIV so it does as I suspect they need to be accessed via the SMBus, what does Menu->System->SMB Bus report?

Do you know a Voodoo5 will work on later then W2K please? I have Matrox G200 + G450 + G550 + P650 (9 GPUs in total) working on a W7 x32 system, but they won't work when I boot W10 x32 on the same system.

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-09-16, 10:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 151 of 1037, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
red-ray wrote:

Thank you, it's good to know SIV worked on a 3dfx Voodoo5 6000.

You're welcome!

red-ray wrote:

I would like to see what Menu->Machine->GPU Info + [ PCI Bus ] report and in an ideal world to have the two save files (both the .DMI + .TXT). If you prefer to post them you could encrypt them and PM me the password.

I noticed SIV failed to report any motherboard sensors and if I get the same files suspect I can adjust SIV so it does as I suspect they need to be accessed via the SMBus, what does Menu->System->SMB Bus report?

I'll look into this.

red-ray wrote:

Do you know a Voodoo5 will work on later then W2K please?

They'll definitely work in XP using the 3dfx 2k driver. Using 3rd party drivers, it should be possible using them with newer operating systems (I never did that).

END OF LINE.

Reply 152 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
voodoo5_6k wrote:

I'll look into this.

Great, please also post what the GPU-0 tooltip reports. Do you know of any utility that reports the Voodoo5 fan speeds? The fans are 3-pin so it should be possible to read the RPM, but I can't find anything in datasheets or driver source code.

Attachments

• RED.png
    Filename
    RED.png
    File size
    27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    GPU-0 Tooltip for a recent GPU
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 153 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just released SIV 5.42 Beta-09 which adds support for Intel 430LX + 430NX chipsets. Below is that was reported for a 430NX, but I have not tried 430LX. It's almost the same as the 430NX so I expect things to work.

If you have either chipset please will you try Beta-09 or later and post a screen shot? SIV should work fine on both Windows 9x and NT, but the 430NX support has only been tested on Windows 98SE.

As usual the latest Beta is attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help. Thank you for your help.

file.php?id=70009
Pressing the [ 60MHz FPM RAM ] button gives the [ Chipset MCH ] panel.

Attachments

• 430NX.png
    Filename
    430NX.png
    File size
    68.96 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SIV 5.42 Beta-09 reporting a system with a 430NX chipset
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 154 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have just released SIV 5.42 Beta-10 which finally adds support for S3 Savage 2000 GPUs and below is that was reported for my S3 Savage 2000 [Diamond Viper II Z200].

If you have a S3 Savage 2000 please will you try Beta-10 or later and post a screen shot? SIV should work fine on both Windows 9x and NT, but the S3 Savage 2000 support has only been tested on my Windows NT4 Terminal Server Dual P-IIIE system.

As usual the latest Beta is attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help. Thank you for your help.

file.php?id=70168

Attachments

• PDP.png
    Filename
    PDP.png
    File size
    16.16 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    S3 Savage 2000 [Diamond Viper II Z200]
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 155 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I have a S3 Savage (not sure if it's a 2000 however) system that I'll be picking up today, I wouldn't mind doing another round of testing 😀

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 156 of 1037, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, I haven't kept up with the thread, but here's an interesting test case for you. Dual independent GPUs and dual heads in Win98SE. It seems to work, although SIV couldn't figure out much info about my ATI Rage card, and the clocks on the Voodoo3 are reported wrong (should be 143/143/143 AFAIK. Note that this is NOT the same V3 as in the K6 system I posted earlier!)

SIV main & graphics.png
Filename
SIV main & graphics.png
File size
41.06 KiB
Views
File license
GPU info.png
Filename
GPU info.png
File size
19 KiB
Views
File license

System report:

Filename
SIV_DELL XPS T500.zip
File size
49.91 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license

Edit, oops: it looks like I accidentally used an older version. Let me know if you want me to run Beta10 instead, or if you want more info from this setup.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 157 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Edit, oops: it looks like I accidentally used an older version. Let me know if you want me to run Beta10 instead, or if you want more info from this setup.

No problem, this may well be why the Voodoo 3 is as it is, but there is no support for your ATI card at all, further I an not 100% sure exactly which card it is, I think it may be https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/3d-rage-pro-pci.c1717, is it? If not can you post a link to what it is please?

I just checked and my Voodoo 3 is OK on Windows Me, but it's the primary display. If you still get the incorrect clocks with Beta-10 please can you try with just the Voodoo 3 installed? When I checked Menu->Machine->GPU Info all the registers contained 0xFFFFFFFF which makes me wonder if the card has been initialised.

Thank you.

Last edited by red-ray on 2019-10-10, 19:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 159 of 1037, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah will do, once I get the OS installed, the machine I got is a HP Omnibook XE3, and of course, it came with a botched install of Windows XP that I promptly wiped to replace it with Win98.

Stay tuned...