Reply 20 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:
feipoa wrote:
SXL2-W95c_installation.jpg

That's a pretty sweet dark grey CD-ROM drive. What's up with the 5.25" FDD though? Why not move it up a panel?

This is just how the computer came when it was given to me in 2001. Surprisingly, I never thought anything of it, but now that you mention it, I always place the 5.25" right under the CD-ROM, so I'll have to fix that. ... Wait <thinking hard now> I think the floppy cable wouldn't reach if I move the 5.25" up.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
Anonymous Coward wrote:
feipoa wrote:
The attachment SXL2-W95c_installation.jpg is no longer available

That's a pretty sweet dark grey CD-ROM drive. What's up with the 5.25" FDD though? Why not move it up a panel?

This is just how the computer came when it was given to me in 2001. Surprisingly, I never thought anything of it, but now that you mention it, I always place the 5.25" right under the CD-ROM, so I'll have to fix that. ... Wait <thinking hard now> I think the floppy cable wouldn't reach if I move the 5.25" up.

Yes, the issue was floppy cable length. In the attached photo, the top cable is being used in the SXL2 system. I have one with greater floppy drive port separation (the bottom photo), which will fit, but if I recall correctly, the A drive must be on the end of the cable, and B in the middle. The longer cable only has a 5.25" drive on the end cable, so I would be left with the A drive as the 5.25" and B drive as the 3.5". I don't really care for that type of configuration. The way around this is usually with a BIOS option called "swap floppy drives", but the BIOS on this board doesn't contain this feature.

It is possible that I have a floppy cable with a longer separation length the 5.25" in the middle position, but I'd have to pull out all my systems to check.

Lengths.jpg
Filename
Lengths.jpg
File size
149.23 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 28, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does your bios have the option to swap floppy drives?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 24 of 28, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

Windows 95C works quite well on both 386DX-40 and 486DLC-40. (I did install it for the Cpu-Z improvement contribution)

You were able to run CPU-Z on Win95c and a 386DX? I got a blue screen with SXL2/Win95c and CPU-Z. Re: Need help to improve the support of 486/586/686 class CPUs in CPU-Z

I was, many versions ago. Haven't tested with the latest version.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 25 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Does your bios have the option to swap floppy drives?

Nope. Noted previously. See below.

feipoa wrote:

The way around this is usually with a BIOS option called "swap floppy drives", but the BIOS on this board doesn't contain this feature.

Reply 26 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For anyone trying this, I wanted to warn you that my system would no longer boot after installing service pack 6a. I'm not sure which is the last service pack which will run on an SXL. I'm going to try NT 3.51 instead.

EDIT: NT 3.51 SP5 and post SP5 fixes work fine on the SXL.

Reply 27 of 28, by NScaleTransitModels

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm a bit late to this, but just wanted to share my own findings.
It is possible to run NT 5.0 (2000 Beta) on a 486DLC.
I've successfully installed Beta 2 Build 1906 on physical hardware. Here's the setup I used:
-FX-3000 motherboard
-TX486DLC/E-40GA
-Cyrix Fasmath CX-83D87-40-GP
-32mb ram
-128kb L2 cache
-Cirrus Logic GD5434 2mb, ISA video card
-Sound Blaster 16 CT4180
-64gb SD card in IDE adapter

Startup takes about 6 minutes, and it's very sluggish as expected though not totally unusable. I was also able to get sound working, and launch a few Windows games (eg. Freddi Fish series)

I also installed Beta 3 Build 2031 on PCem, but haven't tested on hardware yet. The startup time is 10 mins+.

Windows 2000 Final will not run. It bluescreens after setup finishes with "KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED". I've tried on both physical hardware and PCem.

For anybody else who wants to install NT5 on physical hardware, it will probably take more patience than you have. Be advised that if CHKDSK runs at any point, you will be stuck at a blank loading screen, and you'll have to start over. This means you have one shot at completing the last GUI portion of setup, and you cannot have more than 1 partition (having multiple triggered CHKDSK for me). Also, you should make a backup image of your hard drive/SD card as soon as the install finishes.

Finally, sound will not work on NT5 without a FPU (the same goes for 486SX's)

Attachments

Builds:

• ECS FX-3000; 386DX-40@50; ET4000AX, ISA 1mb
  • Acer VI9; 486DLC-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Chicony CH-471A; CX486s-40; Mach32, VLB 2mb
  • Gateway 2000 P5-60; Pentium-60@66; S3 928, PCI 3mb
  • DTK PKM-0033S; AM5x86-133@160

Reply 28 of 28, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your level of determination is quite impressive! Did you happen to try NT4 and also find that installing service packs would render the system unbootable?