Reply 520 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-19, 22:23:
Mumak wrote on 2021-05-11, 07:32:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-11, 07:20:

How do I generate one from the MS-DOS version? I think I have version 6.1.3 by the way.

Either manually pressing F2 will save content of current screen into a LOG file, or automatically using the -r switch. Adding -d will also produce DBG file that contains some more details for me.

Here you go, I hope it helps. 😀

Thanks! It's useful for my reference and future improvements.
What DELL monitor is that, P2414H? This model isn't in my database yet.

Reply 521 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yesi it's a Dell P2414H 24" IPS, it is my daily work/browsing/multimedia/gaming monitor, pretty good budget monitor with a good panel 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 523 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tested out an ATI Rage LT PRO AGP PCI card under 98SE on my Asus TUSL2-C test-bench, and noticed questionable clocks being reported. Frankly, not sure what the actual clocks for this card are supposed to be, but looking on Wikipedia, these don't look quite right. Was wondering if you could take a look at it Mumak. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … Mobility_series
HLRPEgXl.jpg
Kk9HNg9l.png

Attachments

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 524 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frankly, I'm not sure here either. Clock detection here is implemented per documentation but I can't rule out cases where some additional/special clocking logic is involved.
Is there some other tool being able to report clocks that we can trust?

Reply 525 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-07-05, 10:35:

Is there some other tool being able to report clocks that we can trust?

Not that I know of, no. Everest did not report clocks, Rivatuner224C provided nothing, and the drivers I used didn't provide any information. Maybe newer drivers would say something, but I'm doubtful.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 526 of 677, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please find attached a report and debug file for my new toy, a Fujitsu Lifebook S6110 laptop running Windows 98SE. All seems to be in order but hopefully it helps with something anyway.

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 527 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-07-16, 11:29:

Please find attached a report and debug file for my new toy, a Fujitsu Lifebook S6110 laptop running Windows 98SE. All seems to be in order but hopefully it helps with something anyway.

Thanks, looks good 😀

Reply 528 of 677, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-07-05, 10:28:
Tested out an ATI Rage LT PRO AGP PCI card under 98SE on my Asus TUSL2-C test-bench, and noticed questionable clocks being repor […]
Show full quote

Tested out an ATI Rage LT PRO AGP PCI card under 98SE on my Asus TUSL2-C test-bench, and noticed questionable clocks being reported. Frankly, not sure what the actual clocks for this card are supposed to be, but looking on Wikipedia, these don't look quite right. Was wondering if you could take a look at it Mumak. Thanks!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_gra … Mobility_series
HLRPEgXl.jpg
Kk9HNg9l.png

That little metal can on your GPU card is the clock crystal be wise to test it they vibrate silently to death. Also happens to old motherboards.
They are cheap to get though just that tedious surface mount job is all.

Reply 530 of 677, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-19, 15:38:

That little metal can on your GPU card is the clock crystal be wise to test it they vibrate silently to death. Also happens to old motherboards.

Not sure how you would test it. With a multimeter perhaps? Also, I've already recycled the card - it was causing a short somewhere, don't have the knowledge to diagnose it, and frankly don't care enough for such a strange card. 😒

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 531 of 677, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-07-19, 23:18:
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-07-19, 15:38:

Not sure how you would test it. With a multimeter perhaps? Also, I've already recycled the card - it was causing a short somewhere, don't have the knowledge to diagnose it, and frankly don't care enough for such a strange card. 😒

theres a youtube channel with technicians of a computer museun they called CuriousMarc that demonstrates how to test clock crystals https://www.youtube.com/c/CuriousMarc/featured

SiS6326 had an AGP chip on PCI came in 4 to 8mb vram I recommend them as the pci solution of such a contraption if one was to look for them the SiS bios came out with bios upodate TSR programs that bios could be programmed into many system BIOS eliminating the onboard video bios (i took it off the card ran much faster)

Reply 532 of 677, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried HWiNFO32 on my Dual Pentium Pro build (not done yet).

- Some DIMMs are recognized as FPM (should be EDO)
- Temperatures and other sensors have strange values
- Audio is not fully recognized (listed as Unknown or none, but devices are present)
- In SMBIOS DMI the L1 and L2 cache are listed but have no title (this might be just the way it is)
- Serial ports are disabled in BIOS, but still found by HWiNFO32. But Windows 2000 also assumes they are there in Device Manager with the yellow exclamation marks

Thanks for keeping retro-HWiNFO alive!

Attachments

• sensors.png
    Filename
    sensors.png
    File size
    48.37 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DPPRO.LOG
    File size
    79.61 KiB
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

1982 to 2001

Reply 533 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2021-10-20, 12:39:
Tried HWiNFO32 on my Dual Pentium Pro build (not done yet). […]
Show full quote

- Audio is not fully recognized (listed as Unknown or none, but devices are present)
- In SMBIOS DMI the L1 and L2 cache are listed but have no title (this might be just the way it is)
- Serial ports are disabled in BIOS, but still found by HWiNFO32. But Windows 2000 also assumes they are there in Device Manager with the yellow exclamation marks

Thanks for the feedback. Please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File, I need to check more details.
From a quick look - the BIOS also reports 2 modules as FPM in SMBIOS DMI. The L1/L2 info in DMI is populated by BIOS.

Reply 534 of 677, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-10-20, 13:23:
Show full quote

Thanks for the feedback. Please also attach the HWiNFO Debug File, I need to check more details.
From a quick look - the BIOS also reports 2 modules as FPM in SMBIOS DMI. The L1/L2 info in DMI is populated by BIOS.

I have reset the BIOS settings between my previous post and this post. I've attached the debug file and a new log file.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWiNFO32.DBG.txt
    File size
    119.66 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    DPPRO.LOG
    File size
    81.46 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

1982 to 2001

Reply 535 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2021-10-20, 14:49:
Show full quote

I have reset the BIOS settings between my previous post and this post. I've attached the debug file and a new log file.

Looking at the raw data, the memory controller is indeed configured so that the last rows are in FPM mode. Could be a BIOS issue.

Reply 536 of 677, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2021-10-20, 17:17:
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2021-10-20, 14:49:

Looking at the raw data, the memory controller is indeed configured so that the last rows are in FPM mode. Could be a BIOS issue.

Ha, the memory controller was actually right. The DIMMs are FPM: https://www.servers4less.com/memory/server/mi … shi-mh4v72czj-6

FPM is not (officially) supported by the board (http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboards/3172), so I had assumed it was EDO memory.

1.4.1 Main Memory The motherboard has four DIMM sockets. Minimum memory size is 16 MB and maximum memory size is 512 MB. The m […]
Show full quote

1.4.1 Main Memory
The motherboard has four DIMM sockets. Minimum memory size is 16 MB and maximum
memory size is 512 MB. The motherboard supports the following memory types, speeds, and

module sizes:
• 168-pin 3.3 V DIMMs with gold-plated contacts
• 50 ns and 60 ns buffered asynchronous EDO memory
• Parity and ECC memory
• 2 MB x 72 (16 MB), 4 MB x 72 (32 MB), 8 MB x 72 (64 MB) and 16 MB x 72 (128 MB)
modules

1982 to 2001

Reply 537 of 677, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the report files for my older systems:

I would also like to note that HWiNFO 7.12 does not start on Windows 95. There is no error, it just fails to load. Dependency Walker doesn't find any issues with 7.12, either. Version 6.24 runs, so that's what I used to generate the debug files and reports.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 538 of 677, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leonardo wrote on 2021-10-24, 21:04:
Here are the report files for my older systems: […]
Show full quote

I would also like to note that HWiNFO 7.12 does not start on Windows 95. There is no error, it just fails to load. Dependency Walker doesn't find any issues with 7.12, either. Version 6.24 runs, so that's what I used to generate the debug files and reports.

Thanks for the reports, the output looks good to me. Would you be able to try some versions between 6.34 and 7.12 to find out which is the latest one working on Win95?

Reply 539 of 677, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2021-10-24, 21:25:
leonardo wrote on 2021-10-24, 21:04:
Here are the report files for my older systems: […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the reports, the output looks good to me. Would you be able to try some versions between 6.34 and 7.12 to find out which is the latest one working on Win95?

I seem to recall I did test and found 6.24 to be the last version, but I may have skipped some versions in-between. I'll test all the versions again soon!

The reports are fairly throrough, although I noticed some odd discrepancies between what's shown in the System Summary-window and what is put in the report. For example, on my AMD-system, the memory timings nor the FSB clock are displayed. I think on the P3 the first timing data is shown, and then no more. Nevermind, here's the P3 screen:

HWiNFO.png

On the AMD system, the FSB multiplier is shown as 1.0x and the other fields are just blank, even though in the report it has correctly determined a 75 MHz bus.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.