VOGONS

HWiNFO support of vintage hardware

Topic actions

Reply 84 of 681, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay, i did it. First of all weird sensors with negative temperature values are gone. That's good 😀

Then I've got Motherboard temperature and External 1. Launched winrar (to give some load on CPU) and compared values with aida. Looks like external 1 is cpu. Can we rename it?

No info on GPU temperature, though clocks are reported correctly.

Attachments

• T Rename.PNG
    Filename
    T Rename.PNG
    File size
    103.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 85 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback. I will rename that External 1 value in next build.
This version added a new method of reading GPU temperature for some legacy GPUs and I verified on a desktop version of NV4x. So it looks like it doesn't work for mobile ones or your driver doesn't support this either.

Reply 86 of 681, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2019-09-05, 21:56:

Hi,

I'm Martin, author of HWiNFO. Just like Franck (CPU-Z) and Ray (SIV) I'm very interested in improving support of vintage hardware in HWiNFO and for this I need your help.

Thanks in advance !

Neat! I’m going to try this out right now on some of my old hardware.

Reply 87 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-03, 03:17:

Hi,

I'm Martin, author of HWiNFO. Just like Franck (CPU-Z) and Ray (SIV) I'm very interested in improving support of vintage hardware in HWiNFO and for this I need your help.

Thanks in advance !

Any results perhaps?

Reply 88 of 681, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to give some basic information, switched from 78.17 geforce 6600 driver to 163.71. No changes for gpu temperature displaying. But GPU-Z started reporting temperature though it's always zero Celsius 😀

Reply 89 of 681, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-05, 14:41:

Hi,

Thanks in advance !

Any results perhaps?

Unfortunately, no. My hard drive in that machine died a little while after posting that. I've since set everything up with a new hard drive, and took a break from working with these old machines. Now I'm on a new XP machine (just replaced Vista,) and will try to play around with HWiNFO once I finish setting up all the drivers. Hopefully will post back later tonight.

Update: I ran it on the desktop I just did a fresh install of Windows XP on. I wanted to use it to double check I downloaded the right sound card drivers, and figured I would kill two birds with one stone. Anyway, am I reading this right? Does my system really have two different memory modules? I bought these as a pair some time in the 2000s... 😮 (See attached image). Note: I've ordered 2GB of 533MHz ram for this system to replace the 1GB I have in there now...

Regarding the logs, I'm not sure I want to upload the complete details of my system.

Other then the weirdness on the two memory modules, everything appears to be in order. It has properly detected my current hardware and I don't see any incorrect information.

At some point in the future I will install this on one of my 486 laptops and see what it detects.

You've done a really nice job on the user interface design and layout, by the way!

Attachments

Reply 90 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Slashzero wrote on 2020-02-06, 03:51:
Unfortunately, no. My hard drive in that machine died a little while after posting that. I've since set everything up with a n […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-05, 14:41:

Any results perhaps?

Unfortunately, no. My hard drive in that machine died a little while after posting that. I've since set everything up with a new hard drive, and took a break from working with these old machines. Now I'm on a new XP machine (just replaced Vista,) and will try to play around with HWiNFO once I finish setting up all the drivers. Hopefully will post back later tonight.

Update: I ran it on the desktop I just did a fresh install of Windows XP on. I wanted to use it to double check I downloaded the right sound card drivers, and figured I would kill two birds with one stone. Anyway, am I reading this right? Does my system really have two different memory modules? I bought these as a pair some time in the 2000s... 😮 (See attached image). Note: I've ordered 2GB of 533MHz ram for this system to replace the 1GB I have in there now...

Regarding the logs, I'm not sure I want to upload the complete details of my system.

Other then the weirdness on the two memory modules, everything appears to be in order. It has properly detected my current hardware and I don't see any incorrect information.

At some point in the future I will install this on one of my 486 laptops and see what it detects.

You've done a really nice job on the user interface design and layout, by the way!

Thanks for your feedback!
Yes, it looks like the system has different memory modules, but to know more I'd need to see at least the report file (LOG or HTM), even better would be the Debug File.
If you're worried about posting this in public, you can send them to me via PM or e-mail.
Looking forward to a report from 486 😀

Reply 91 of 681, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-06, 07:13:
Thanks for your feedback! Yes, it looks like the system has different memory modules, but to know more I'd need to see at least […]
Show full quote

Thanks for your feedback!
Yes, it looks like the system has different memory modules, but to know more I'd need to see at least the report file (LOG or HTM), even better would be the Debug File.
If you're worried about posting this in public, you can send them to me via PM or e-mail.
Looking forward to a report from 486 😀

So, I just checked again. It’s definitely two different memory modules. One is PC2700, the other is PC2100. I can’t believe I never noticed this before. I bought these maybe 12 years ago? Damn.

At least the CPU is the right one, a Pentium D 940, verified by your app. 😀

Well, I’m using HWiNFO on every new piece of hardware I buy from now on. 🙁 As a matter of fact, I’m going to use it the second I install the new memory (once I receive it,) to make sure I got what I paid for.

Reply 93 of 681, by Slashzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again! With my W98SE desktop now on the network via an intel Pro 10/100 card, I felt like I was at a good point to try HWiNFO.

I pulled it down from my FTP server and ran it. No screen shot because I don’t have a browser that Vogons.org will load properly on.

1. On startup it shows a warning dialog that Windows 98 is not supported. This seems odd because ...
  2. It detected all my hardware just fine. CPU, speed, memory, motherboard, everything looked correct.
  3. PIII 733MHz, 256MB of PC133 RAM, nVidia 4200Ti with 128MB, SB AWE 32 Gold, it got everything right, at first glance.

I will try to run this on my 486 Laptop this weekend, time permitting.

Reply 94 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the feedback. I guess you're right, since Win98 support has been significantly improved in recent versions (even though still not at the level of NT-based systems), the warning dialog is not needed anymore. I will remove it in the next build.

Reply 95 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried HWInfo on my computer with the Micronics ASIC EISA mainboard. The mainboard is not the newest (~1992), so I don't expect everything to work with hwinfo 😁

I tried the latest version and run the 32bit version under Windows 98 SE
I am happy that this version even runs on this machine.
Screenshots:

hwinf32_mic_eisa2.jpg
Filename
hwinf32_mic_eisa2.jpg
File size
60.22 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

and

hwinf32_mic_eisa.jpg
Filename
hwinf32_mic_eisa.jpg
File size
76.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here is the report:

Filename
mic_eisa.LOG
File size
6.09 KiB
Downloads
45 downloads
File license
CC-BY-4.0

So cpu is detected correctly, except the cache on the CPU should be 16kB (not 8kB). No detection of the mainboard or the L2 cache on the mainboard, which is 256kB
64MB RAM are shown correctly.
Also detection of the graphics card seems very good, there seems to be a problem to read out the bios info of the graphics card.
The report seems to be crippled / wrong, after graphics card info everything else is missing.
No detection of sound card (sound blaster 16 non plug and play) or harddrives (Wide SCSI disks on Adaptec Wide EISA Controller), I guess that's OK.

Then I ran also the benchmarks, does not work very well.
I de-selected MMX, won't work on a 486 😀
Result:

hwinf32_mic_eisa_bench.jpg
Filename
File size
29.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No result for CPU, but what's more disturbing is, after pressing close, Windows 98 crashes with a bluescreen.
"Schwerer Ausnahmefehler 0e ...." it's a german Windows 98 SE installation.

About HWINFO 555 for DOS:
I am now using the DOS version from Windows 98SE, because I want to have FAT32 support (don't like so many drive letters)
I understand, that it should be run without EMM386:
I manage to get 587kB (more than 600000 bytes) free, but the program still exits during the first menu point with fatal, too less memory 🙁
But with an "EMM386.EXE NOEMS" setting, I can run the program.
Output is great: CPU, L1 cache, L2 cache of the mainboard, floppy drives, hard drives, SCSI controller, sound card, everything is detected correctly.
Only thing which is not detected is mainboard model, mainboard manufacturer.

Reply 96 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 16:40:
I tried HWInfo on my computer with the Micronics ASIC EISA mainboard. The mainboard is not the newest (~1992), so I don't expect […]
Show full quote

I tried HWInfo on my computer with the Micronics ASIC EISA mainboard. The mainboard is not the newest (~1992), so I don't expect everything to work with hwinfo 😁

I tried the latest version and run the 32bit version under Windows 98 SE
I am happy that this version even runs on this machine.
Screenshots:
hwinf32_mic_eisa2.jpg
and
hwinf32_mic_eisa.jpg
Here is the report:
mic_eisa.LOG
So cpu is detected correctly, except the cache on the CPU should be 16kB (not 8kB). No detection of the mainboard or the L2 cache on the mainboard, which is 256kB
64MB RAM are shown correctly.
Also detection of the graphics card seems very good, there seems to be a problem to read out the bios info of the graphics card.
The report seems to be crippled / wrong, after graphics card info everything else is missing.
No detection of sound card (sound blaster 16 non plug and play) or harddrives (Wide SCSI disks on Adaptec Wide EISA Controller), I guess that's OK.

Then I ran also the benchmarks, does not work very well.
I de-selected MMX, won't work on a 486 😀
Result:
No result for CPU, but what's more disturbing is, after pressing close, Windows 98 crashes with a bluescreen.
"Schwerer Ausnahmefehler 0e ...." it's a german Windows 98 SE installation.

About HWINFO 555 for DOS:
I am now using the DOS version from Windows 98SE, because I want to have FAT32 support (don't like so many drive letters)
I understand, that it should be run without EMM386:
I manage to get 587kB (more than 600000 bytes) free, but the program still exits during the first menu point with fatal, too less memory 🙁
But with an "EMM386.EXE NOEMS" setting, I can run the program.
Output is great: CPU, L1 cache, L2 cache of the mainboard, floppy drives, hard drives, SCSI controller, sound card, everything is detected correctly.
Only thing which is not detected is mainboard model, mainboard manufacturer.

Thank you for your report!
This machine is really interesting, especially because of the EISA bus. It would be great if you could also attach the HWiNFO Debug File, so I can analyze a few details how to fix and improve things.
There are some limitations here though that probably won't be fixed
- in HWiNFO32 there's no support of EISA bus and its device enumeration on Win9x systems, but on NT this should work.
- SB16 Non-PnP detection should work in the DOS version, but the detection method would be dangerous to use in Windows as it could cripple other adapters.
- Detection of such mainboard models is quite tough, I will see if I can improve this if you can provide the DBG file.
It would be great if you could also attach the LOG file from the DOS version.

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-02-10, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 97 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-10, 17:15:
Thank you for your report! This machine is really interesting, especially because of the EISA bus. It would be great if you coul […]
Show full quote

Thank you for your report!
This machine is really interesting, especially because of the EISA bus. It would be great if you could also attach the HWiNFO Debug File, so I can analyze a few details how to fix and improve things.
There are some limitations here though that probably won't be fixed
- in HWiNFO32 there's no support of EISA bus and its device enumeration on Win9x systems, but on NT this should work.
- SB16 Non-PnP detection should work in the DOS version, but the detection method would be dangerous to use in Windows as it could cripple other adapters.
- Detection of such mainboard models is quite tough, I will see if I can improve this if you can provide the DBG file.
It would be great if you could also attach the LOG file from the DOS version and Video BIOS image if possible.

I attach the debug file

I do not know part2:
How can I get a log file from the dos version?
What do you mean with Video BIOS image?

Attachments

• Filename
    HWiNFO32DBG.zip
    File size
    8.2 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 98 of 681, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 18:27:
I attach the debug file […]
Show full quote

I attach the debug file

I do not know part2:

Thanks!
If you run the DOS version with -r argument , it will automatically create a full logfile. Alternatively pressing F2 at some screen will save that screen to disk as well.
VBIOS image is no longer needed, I think I found the problem with garbage in version string and already fixing it 😀

Reply 99 of 681, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-10, 18:39:
Thanks! If you run the DOS version with -r argument , it will automatically create a full logfile. Alternatively pressing F2 at […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-10, 18:27:
I attach the debug file […]
Show full quote

I attach the debug file

I do not know part2:

Thanks!
If you run the DOS version with -r argument , it will automatically create a full logfile. Alternatively pressing F2 at some screen will save that screen to disk as well.
VBIOS image is no longer needed, I think I found the problem with garbage in version string and already fixing it 😀

Unfortunately that did not work well.
I started the dos program with -r, it showed on the screen writing report, but it got stuck at "memory information"
I waited some time, then rebooted the machine.
It seems there was something written, I attach it.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    7.58 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception