VOGONS

First post, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I've picked up a Packard Bell Multimedia PC, one in a designer tower. The timestamp says 1996, and the motherboard is the 640 model, that is, Pentium 133, 16megs of ram, a riser, all that.

Went ahead and replaced the caps on the board successfully, and after that it turns on and emits a beep - so there's life in the board!

However, when I plugged a monitor into the onboard video port, there's no video. At all. The display stays blank, with its power LED flashing slowly, just like in a stand-by mode.
Unfazed by that, I brought another monitor that's tried and tested and 100% working and the result is pretty much the same - the monitor goes into a powersaving mode and stays in it. 😒

Thinking it might be a fluke or that the onboard video chip (a Cirrus Logic something-something with 1MB VRAM 😁 ) is flaky I connected a Mach64 VT and then a Matrox Millenium, both in perfect working order, but alas, no dice. The display still is blank.

After some 2 days of pretty much non-stop searching for info and poking around, I am left completely clueless as to why do I get no video output from neither the onboard video, nor the external video cards.
Poking around for some information on the motherboard revealed an old site where it is stated that "The on-board video chip of your computer will automatically be disabled by the installation of a separate video card."
Yet I still get the same result, and I really have no other idea as to why don't I get any video signal from any of the sources I mentioned. Could this be a thing of PB's proprietarity?

Perhaps someone here has had a similar problem or has a better understanding of what's wrong than I do. If you do, please let me know! I'm desperate to get this PC working.

Reply 2 of 9, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick, short one - the kind you'd hear on passing the POST. I've connected a floppy drive and inserted a DOS boot disk - the computer does a floppy seek test and proceeds to load something from the floppy.

Reply 3 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was the board dead before you swapped the caps, or was it just done to be on the safe side?

Have you tried a fresh battery with a cmos reset?

Have you checked the jumpers are set?

pb640j.jpg
Filename
pb640j.jpg
File size
72.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you think it might be completing a boot to DOS, stick a line at the end of the autoexec.bat file like 'dir > a:\dirchk.txt' and check this txt file exists on another working machine

However, this link suggests a possible memory refresh failure http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/amibeep.htm

Reply 4 of 9, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, the board was operating before capacitor replacement. The caps were in really, really bad shape and the 2 big ones had already bloated, so there was no point in waiting on a disaster. Fresh new CMOS battery was also installed. All the jumpers have been set accordingly, to a non-overclocked Pentium 133. BIOS password is not an enabled function on this board - J4K2's Password Clear has been left as was.

I managed to boot up the board once, though. I posted on Tom's Hardware and a user mentioned how the behaviour of the system on boot-up was identical to a "BIOS recovery mode" used on updating the BIOS. That's why it reads from the floppy - it seeks for a flash file.
He suggested checking the jumper, and what do you know - one pin was corroded and split in half, and the jumper's insides had corroded too. I managed to bridge two of the pins with a screwdriver and shift to a "normal operating mode" and the display lit right up. Then the pin broke off completely 😒
I ended up replacing the whole 3-pin thingy with some spare I found. Soldered up and everything is right... except that now I get that classic "blank screen, no beep on POST" situation. Interestingly though, when I switch the jumper to the recovery mode again, the PC's behaviour is back to what I described - blank screen, one beep, attempting to read from floppy.

What do you reckon, what's most often the cause of that no-POST boot?

Reply 6 of 9, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure, there is a procedure to re-flash the rom with an updated one by going to the recovery and inserting a floppy.

I don't really think this is the problem, though. Perhaps it's something of a bad/improperly inserted memory, or something. Will try that before I do any BIOS flashing.

Reply 8 of 9, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it does make a low, switching buzz. My guess is the BIOS can't be damaged since when shifted into recovery mode, it behaves like it should.

I should clarify - after getting that bit of advice on the jumpers, I did manage to boot and POST succesfully once by shorting the pins into the "normal" boot position. It was only after I soldered in the new jumper holder thing that this behavior came up. I reassembled it in a skeleton configuration, that is only RAM, CPU, and CPU fan, onboard graphics, no riser card. What bothers me the most is why does the "recovery" boot procedure go as it should, yet a normal boot results in a typical blank screen without any beeps.

Reply 9 of 9, by kikipcs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update - changed one jumper, the Password Clear jumper, back to the "clear/disabled" setting. Focused on the RAM sticks - maybe one of them is bad. All I get is 3 low-tone buzzes on recovery mode - on normal mode the computer stays dead and silent. I have a AMI BIOS - according to a cheat sheet 3 short beeps mean "base 64K memory failure". No word on what tone, though.

In case anyone's wondering, yes I am using a ESD strap, and disconnect the PSU and ground myself after each powerup before I start removing any parts.

(edit) Just removed the riser card with the ATi card, installed both sticks of ram in Bank 0 - recovery mode is back as it was, no video nor beep in normal mode though.

(second edit) Installed the PC in the case, downloaded a flash utility from vogons file database - it completed the flash, and we have a POST screen. I guess all I had to do was shove it in the case - maybe the board needs ground from the case, or something. Topic closed, thank you.