VOGONS

Good 386 motherboard with FPU socket

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess this topic is relevant to me in case my current 286 build collapses on itself. How do the M321 or other recommended boards do benchmark wise with the turbo enabled (slow mode)? My backup for the 286 build would slow down to 286-12 speeds and ideally have a way to hit 386-25.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 21 of 23, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@MrSmiley381, what benchmarks do you want me to run on it? I have Am386DX-40 together with FPU on M321 board.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 22 of 23, by MrSmiley381

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote:

@MrSmiley381, what benchmarks do you want me to run on it? I have Am386DX-40 together with FPU on M321 board.

If I could only see one result I'd start with TOPBENCH since it provides a pretty good ballpark estimate of performance. the Superscape 3D benchmark is pretty good too but it's obviously a little more GPU-dependent. The CPU benchmarking tools from Norton and Landmark are also good. All of these are in Phil's benchmark pack if it's not too much trouble to post a few samples with turbo on/off.

I spend my days fighting with clunky software so I can afford to spend my evenings fighting with clunky hardware.

Reply 23 of 23, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrSmiley381 wrote:
GigAHerZ wrote:

If I could only see one result I'd start with TOPBENCH since it provides a pretty good ballpark estimate of performance. the Superscape 3D benchmark is pretty good too but it's obviously a little more GPU-dependent. The CPU benchmarking tools from Norton and Landmark are also good. All of these are in Phil's benchmark pack if it's not too much trouble to post a few samples with turbo on/off.

So i did 4 runs with 3dBench, PC Player, Doom low details, landmark and topbench.
It's a Am386DX-40 with cyrix FPU, 8x4MB 60ns RAM, 256kB cache. All memory timings and other stuff is at maximum tightness, including some hidden settings like slow refresh and some others. Only things that changed between those 4 runs were the turbo button and cache being turned on or off. There are definitelly more stuff you can do to make it slower, like bunch of waitstates everywhere.

Benchmark | Turbo Cache | Turbo no-Cache | no-Turbo Cache | no-Turbo no-Cache
3DBench (fps) | 17,2 | 12,8 | 9 | 6,4
PC Player (fps) | 4,2 | 3,2 | 2,1 | 1,5
Doom low (ticks) | 2410 | 3329 | 5095 | 7482
Landmark (CPU/FPU MHz) | 69/129 | 58/106 | 40/100 | 30/73
Topbench (score) | 99 | 71 | 59 | 42

Hope it helps. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!