VOGONS

First post, by NT7000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks, I am trying to get drivers for this HP mini PC. So far, I've got GPU drivers, but I can't seem to find drivers for the southbridge IC (IXP400/SB400). I can find Windows 2000 drivers for this chipset, but not for windows 98. It would be odd if I could get graphics drivers, but not chipset drivers. Anybody else have experience with Windows 98 on something with a SB400 southbridge? Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 6, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It shipped with XP. Apparently the motherboard is a Asus K8AE-LM; HP/Compaq name: Opal-GL6E, but particularly if it's OEM only it won't have any. 2006 is around the time 98 support vanished.

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There weren't any drivers released for Win9x for that chipset (ATI Express 200).

It should still work though. I did see something that said that you can't use the SATA ports to boot from though... who knows if that is even true though.

For USB support, you can use NUSB 3.3
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win9 … age-drivers.php

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by NT7000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well bummer, I do have video drivers, although I haven't tested a game on it yet. It boots just fine off the Sata hdd, bios doesn't have an option to change achi mode, which is odd, but I also have a micro atx board that does the same thing (Intel D865GLC). It would be nice to at least get proper USB support, as well as ethernet drivers (I'm sure that wifi drivers are a pipe dream). At least the little fella was free to me, the only things it needed was a cd drive and some caps in the PSU replaced. By any chance, is there any undocumented drivers? Some packages I've seen will support hardware their Readme file doesn't mention, I just don't know where to look. I think the Southbridge is from late 2004/ early 2005, and my video drivers are Catalyst 6.2, which is from 2006, I believe. Sure seems odd to only half support their own products.

Reply 4 of 6, by NT7000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well folks, so I've got everything working with the exception of the DVD drive. The stock Windows 98 IDE drivers don't want to work with the motherboard. It might be related to the legacy compatibility mode in BIOS though. Other than that, games do load, and they run fine, although one game in particular has some artifacting that is not present in XP. I'm going to attribute that to the graphics drivers for the moment.

Reply 5 of 6, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have similar chipset one of my P4 build, i usually like old (K5-K10) and new AMD more . I just want to say that W2K/WinXP driver for SMBUS works for Win9x manually, other part of the driver setup that i had, did not install. Device manager - all well. I did use SATA at that moment, but i think for Win9x route you should use IDE. I try again Win9x in this, out of the box WinXP 32/x64 SP2-SP3 works better.

Not So Hot Pentium4 RetroPC Underdog - Desktop Build
Little Odd ATiChipset/Intel-Nvidia Die Shrink EditionPC

Intel Pentium4 631 3GHz 2MB 800FSB (CedarMill-D0 65nm)
ECS RS400-A LGA775 Socket ATX (ATi Xpress 200 & SB400)
NANYA 2x1GB DDR2 PC6400@667MHz (Dual Channel 1.8V RAM)
MSI Nvidia Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCIE (G73-B1 80nm)
Audio Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer PCI (CT4670 - non-5.1)
250GB SAMSUNG SATA 7200rpm HDD

CedarMill-D0 is 65nm 65W P4 and 7600GT we have also available B1 edition die shrink, that is 80nm version and it seems work well for older XP Games, at the moment it has WinXP SP2 and even H264 DXVA works with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (PowerDVD 7) . It has PCI-Express and AGP Express (2xPCI) and DDR1 and DDR2 support. AGP Express is slower than real AGP, but in Win9x we do not need fast videocard, maybe in AGP EXpress would be good to use Voodoo3 3000 and downclock Intel P4 with speedstep to 2.4GHz in Win9x? I may change SB Live to Audigy 2 ZS

I had some slowdowns with Win9x SATA and i think to dual or triple boot Win9x/XP/7 with IDE HDD/SSD if Win9x starts to work better with IDE, i probably use only 32bit versions, as it has 2GB RAM support, not more. This P4 i may starting to like after all.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 6 of 6, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I doubt the voltage one the AGP Express slot would be correct for a Voodoo3, might want to check the mobo specs before attempting it.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1