Now the problem in the last 4 days I've had drives die
Quantum 40gb
Seagate 40gb
Seagate 40gb
Maxtor 20gb
Western digital 40gb
Western digital 120gb
Western digital 80gb sata using a kingwin sata to use

Anyone have any ideas, I've changed the cables, and the failure is always the same in a few hours the drives start reving and stopping like they are trying to work, but they no longer read or are detected. Tested in a via ide card on my windows 10 system and they are dead.

Steps tried

New 80pin cables
New power supply happily powering my XP 3200 rig to test that
Checked for bad caps none all check out visually
Tried with a promise ultra tx2 133 for the final drive and it still occured

Reply 2 of 10, by ghost180sx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Check voltages on your power supply rails especially 12V and 5V at the molex's to your drives. better yet, run a wire outside the case and use alligator clips or something to a DMM while you have the machine running. Does it spike? Does it sag?

This is a very strange situation but it is possible you have old hardware that is somehow killing the drive. I doubt it would be data cable related as that should only cause errors in data transmission and disk corruption on drive, which should be easy to fix by reformatting or repairing the file system.

Reply 3 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe there is a short somewhere ? Check for countinuity on the motherboard.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe the IDE controller is killing them. That's really the only thing left that I can tell.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked the case and board, its seated on standoffs properly, but i isolated with felt washers top and bottom of screw holes

its really weird, it did fine for 9 months then suddenly this started.

Reply 8 of 10, by DankEngihn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Power supply might be going bad. Check the voltages on the 12 and 5 volt rails, and then try with a known-good different power supply.

The drives revving up, then stopping sounds like they're receiving too much power, and killing the motor for the platters or the r/w heads.

Reply 9 of 10, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Think I found my culprit, for the cables to reach I was using a molex splitter, the wire for 5v just broke, like it was bent to many times. I noticed because the 5v is droopy and has no resistance to bending inside it's insulation.

Could a broken wire internally do this?