What 9x Software is Essential

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rishooty wrote:

I find it interesting that 7-zip, usb drivers, daemon tools, notepad++, and directx 7 are near universal but everyone seems to disagree on codec, pdf, and browser solutions. I should also mention that this is to be an out of the box pack just to run games, so kernelex doesn't count.

Likely comes down to:
People using what they have always used
The fact that 98 works on 486->i7 machines
Real or perceived bloat in software
Impatience on software response so use something more responsive.
Bad experience with software or company so use something else

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 21 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Likely comes down to: People using what they have always used The fact that 98 works on 486->i7 machines Real or perceived bloat […]
Show full quote
rishooty wrote:

I find it interesting that 7-zip, usb drivers, daemon tools, notepad++, and directx 7 are near universal but everyone seems to disagree on codec, pdf, and browser solutions. I should also mention that this is to be an out of the box pack just to run games, so kernelex doesn't count.

Likely comes down to:
People using what they have always used
The fact that 98 works on 486->i7 machines
Real or perceived bloat in software
Impatience on software response so use something more responsive.
Bad experience with software or company so use something else

Yeah. I'm starting to think a pack like this that would be widely used wouldn't be feasible. A pack of minimal slipstreamed updates for each OS is one thing, but it seems everyone is gonna set up their stuff the way they always have. Oh well. Still a nice thread.

[EDIT] I'm tempted to run patchmem on each fully patched OS in a vm just to get their vmm.vxd, vcache.vxd, and vmm32.vxd. But honestly i don't even feel like doing the labor at the moment. I'll probably feel differently tomorrow. If anyone happens to run patchmem on their windows 95, 98, or ME, pm me the files I guess 🤣.

Last edited by rishooty on 2019-09-19, 00:38. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 22 of 52, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

once adobe dropped support for 9x, PDFs that were encoded with a higher version stopped opening, also I find its a bloated reader compared to Sumatra or Foxit, both extremly light weight and have more compatibility with later PDF files encoded with later versions of PDF. I should investigate if there is a version of sumatra PDF that will run on 9x without kernel EX. Since I really prefer that over Foxit since it doesn't have add ware in it.

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-09-19, 00:34. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 23 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well if everyone discussed why they like this or that then a consensus could be reached, if not then likely a minimum software consensus could be reached. If not then just putting all the software in one folder and saying "here you go install yourself!" could be done. This software gets tougher to find as the years go on

Might be worth it to load up a 486 in pcem and see which of the various software loads the fastest and once determined see if the loss of features is worth it or not when not using the latest version.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote:

once adobe dropped support for 9x, PDFs that were encoded with a higher version stopped opening, also I find its a bloated reader compared to Sumatra or Foxit, both extremly light weight and have more compatibility with later PDF files encoded with later versions of PDF. I should investigate if there is a version of sumatra PDF that will run on 9x without kernel EX. Since I really prefer that over Foxit since it doesn't have add ware in it.

I believe you're looking for this https://www.oldapps.com/sumatra_pdf.php?system=Windows_98

Reply 25 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Well if everyone discussed why they like this or that then a consensus could be reached, if not then likely a minimum software consensus could be reached. If not then just putting all the software in one folder and saying "here you go install yourself!" could be done. This software gets tougher to find as the years go on

That was exactly the idea! Even if all i'm doing is throwing a bunch of packages together, it still has use in this community because they get harder and harder to find. Especially ideal or latest versions.

Reply 26 of 52, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people swear by opera but problem is that you need kernel EX to use laterversions, and its onlly later versions that offer TLS 1.2. RetroZilla has TLS 1.2 thanks to roytam1, and without TLS1.2 you cannot really do anything anymore with webbrowsing even if retrozilla isn't as compatible with later webstandards as Opera with kernel EX + modified opera files.

Reply 27 of 52, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For my purposes...this is pretty much the exact load on my 486 DX4-100 at the moment....and probably also the P100 NEC...

- Circuitmaker 2000
- Diablo
- Cakewalk Pro Audio 4.5 (yes, I do DAW work with the 486, it does surprisingly well)
- RetroZilla
- mIRC 5.91 (or later)
- AOL Instant Messenger (AIM Phoenix)
- WinAmp
- RandyTab

I could list all the games I use as well but that would take an entire page worth post.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 28 of 52, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Taskbar Shuffle : https://nerdcave.webs.com/
I use it on XP also, wonderful little program ~

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 29 of 52, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Visual Basic runtimes 1-6
Early VS C++ runtimes
Borland C runtimes.
KernelEx 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 30 of 52, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the tools, that I used were mentioned here already, but I would add few more.

Probably the most important its Total Commander. It's pretty much the first app, that I'm installing on any computer, no matter if modern or retro, and even the latest version is still 9x compatible!
Then IrfanView 4.44 as a image viewer (because using MS Paint for looking at full folder of a pictures is not fun), Putty (from win32old folder on FTP) for SSH connection to my remote Linux server and also Notepad2 1.0.12 as a Notepad replacement.

Last edited by Srandista on 2019-09-19, 12:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 31 of 52, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also install diagnostic stuff like aida64 and hd sentinel pro, I think latest versions of both still work on win98 too... on my winXP+ PCs I also install diskeeper 2013 which solves all fragmentation issues, but for win98 seems like diskeeper 9 is the last version and I cant find it anywhere

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 32 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A lot of these are great suggestions, but yeah they all vastly differ from eachother. I'm starting to think I should just host them on my lifetime 500GB pcloud and let the users handle it. It would only take the smallest fraction of it.

Similar to this but more organized by OS and purpose:
http://www.tmeeco.eu/9X4EVER/GOODIES/

Reply 34 of 52, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:
PDF Ghostscript may be the least bloated. Not sure which ver is 9x compatible […]
Show full quote

PDF
Ghostscript may be the least bloated. Not sure which ver is 9x compatible

OTHERS
PDFCreator 2.1.2
Foxit 2.3
Foxit 4.31 (KernelEX)

To make PDFs, I'd stick with PDF Creator 1.7.x. I think that newer versions are more "bloated", and they lack Image2PDF. Other option would be using an external PDF creator (I've got a Raspberry Pi that shares a CUPS PDF printer, so you can install an HP Color Laserjet driver with that printer and get a PDF on the Raspberry Pi).

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 35 of 52, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes thats correct Ghostscript + cutepdf is the least bloated way to create PDFs. You can print anything out and save to file. Again the title of the thead is what 9x software is essential. It's not essential to create PDFs if all you are doing is playing games.

Reply 36 of 52, by rishooty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, realizing the situation, and that most of the apps have their own installers and require restarts, I'm thinking a solution that sortof meets a happy medium between just a bunch of hosted packages and ease of use. The closest thing I could think of otherwise is a script or batch that just launches them in a particular order, waits for them to finish, and launches the next one. But even that's too specific.

The idea is that the pcloud folder will be split up into numbered categories, in which the number is the order in which you install them. Within these folders are a folder for Win95 and a folder for 98/ME, and perhaps a TXT file describing how your supposed to deal with that folder (i.e. pick one DX version move on to the next step, only install core packages if using 98lite, etc). They will contain the latest packages that run without kernelex, or those of interest for any particular reason.

Like a repository that doubles as a generalized tutorial.

• Example:
    1 - DirectX
    * Direct X 7
    * Direct X 8
    * Direct X 9
    * 1 - DirectX.txt --> Install DX7, only install later if your card requires it (radeon 7500, 9000, etc)
    2 - Drivers
    * Big ol collection of drivers, organized by chipset, system and OS. Perhaps anything not on vogons drivers, and then a link.
    3- IE
    * IE 5.5 sp2
    * IE 6
    * USP3.6
    * 3 - IE.txt --> install ie 5.5 in most cases, directions on how to fix ie6's issue, directions on how to install core files
    4- Media
    * K-Lite Codec Pack
    * Win95
    ** WMP 6.4
    * WMP 6.4 codec pack
    and so on...

Reply 37 of 52, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nvidia drivers should match the card's release date, because the newest drivers often suck a lot. (My Geforce DDR is having a hard time with drivers from mid 2001 but have no issue with drivers from late 1999 for example)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 38 of 52, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what i was doing was just opening one of problem childs older USPs skipping the actual service pack and selcting IE core 5.5sp2 and then closing it 🤣 There is quite a few things in those service packs "add ons" that are pretty useful and good, like the reg clean, the the Service packs themselves give my computer AIDS 😵

Reply 39 of 52, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So noone have mentioned benchmarks/stress testing: tools
-3dmark 99
-3dmark 2k
-3dmark 2001SE

3dmark03 latest version isn't working. You need to use earlier version.

I also use Everest for sysinfo.

Also since I use stable 45.23 Nvidia drivers for my gf4 I also like to keep period correct DX version 9.0b. I think k-lite codec pack actually recommends dx9 for max stability.