VOGONS

First post, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I found one of these 8-bit ISA cards (Rev B) in my pile of old pcbs. It's missing two things:
: The bios chip (that is easily fixed; the image is on Minuszerodegrees website). The EPROM was probably removed by me many years ago before I knew what the card was.
: Crystal X2 in the upper left corner. What frequency is it?

I found a couple pics of this board on the web, but they're not high-res enough to be able to read the printing on this crystal. X1 just below it is 4.8MHz.

Does anyone know what frequency this xtal is?

Thx for any help.

lcs-fdc.jpg
Filename
lcs-fdc.jpg
File size
422.61 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 12, by Tronix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
precaud wrote:

Is there a reason for 8 ?

As written in the datasheet (see attachment): "CLK. Clock (input). Single phase 8MHz square wave clock". Also, Z0765A08PSC Zilog marking mean 8 MHz chip, by analoge with Z80 CPU marking.

Attachments

• Filename
    ZILGD027-1025.pdf
    File size
    920.65 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File license

https://github.com/Tronix286/

Reply 5 of 12, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I replaced the missing crystal and EPROM, made sure the 5V rails weren't shorted to ground, installed the card and powered it up. A loud SNAP emitted from one of the PAL chips, and just a hint of smoke. The card is toast.

Win some, lose some. Thanks for your help.

Reply 7 of 12, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote:

old PALs are a scourge

The rabbit is wrong again and is posting logical, wise and useful replies! Look at the picture. The PAL is plugged incorrectly and is rotated 180 degrees in its socket Thus the power supply to it is inverted. The controller was doomed in such skillful hands.

Reply 8 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:

old PALs are a scourge

The rabbit is wrong again and is posting logical, wise and useful replies! Look at the picture. The PAL is plugged incorrectly and is rotated 180 degrees in its socket Thus the power supply to it is inverted. The controller was doomed in such skillful hands.

why are you such a prick?

Reply 9 of 12, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote:

Look at the picture. The PAL is plugged incorrectly and is rotated 180 degrees in its socket Thus the power supply to it is inverted. The controller was doomed in such skillful hands.

Captain Hindsight.jpg
Filename
Captain Hindsight.jpg
File size
82.36 KiB
Views
File comment
I'm just glad you were there to save the day!
File license

Reply 10 of 12, by precaud

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
georgel wrote:

Look at the picture. The PAL is plugged incorrectly and is rotated 180 degrees in its socket Thus the power supply to it is inverted. The controller was doomed in such skillful hands.

You are correct; I didn't notice that. However, the heavy judgmental attitude is unnecessary and uncalled for. Mistakes happen.

Reply 11 of 12, by dmuntz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
precaud wrote on 2019-09-19, 14:49:
Yesterday I found one of these 8-bit ISA cards (Rev B) in my pile of old pcbs. It's missing two things: : The bios chip (that is […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I found one of these 8-bit ISA cards (Rev B) in my pile of old pcbs. It's missing two things:
: The bios chip (that is easily fixed; the image is on Minuszerodegrees website). The EPROM was probably removed by me many years ago before I knew what the card was.
: Crystal X2 in the upper left corner. What frequency is it?

I found a couple pics of this board on the web, but they're not high-res enough to be able to read the printing on this crystal. X1 just below it is 4.8MHz.

Does anyone know what frequency this xtal is?

Thx for any help.
lcs-fdc.jpg

I have a card that looks _very much_ like this one. On mine, that crystal is 8.3333 MHz. BTW, I stumbled on this thread because I need to know jumper settings for my similar card. They're not all identical, but mostly the same (my card is JE-1043). Specifically, mine has your card's JP1, JP2, JP3, and JP5. and JP4 but with 4 positions. My card also has another jumper below the 4.800 MHz crystal, between the 7348N and the 7406P (fwiw, that jumper has 3 pins, and has 2-3 jumped). Also, I have a ROM in the ROM slot (version E6610 C2).

Reply 12 of 12, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have the same Longshine LCS-6610F cards with edge connector over here.

Got a few of them.

2 are from Longshine them self. One of the earlier boards (probably limited to 1.2 MB High capacity drives and 1.44MB isnt maybe supported
1 got also from a beltron PC or beltron branded
And 1 from Jameco JE1043 (with support for 1.44MB drives.)
And 1 day ago bought another one locally. Seems to be cheap, so i would take it so use it the repair the other ones.

Will make pictures later.

~ At least it can do black and white~