VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So far I have a build working very nicely. ASUS P3B-F, P3 933MHz running at 700 because of 100MHz FSB, Voodoo 3.

The big part is the sound. I already have an SB 32 w/ AWE64 chips (CT3670). This is currently piped through a TB Vortex2 card which amplifies the Line out of the SB 32 nicely. With the Vortex2 as primary, DOS games through Windows picks up the SB 32 without any config and keeping the Vortex2 the primary card and of course in MS-DOS mode; that's what I'm really happy about, pure DOS sound card doing DOS stuff, Vortex2 doing A3D stuff.

So next is EAX. I don't think there is much difference between the Live and Audigy 2 unless it is a world of difference sound quality wise. Back in the day, I had a Live, never an Audigy series. Now I have an Audigy 2 ZS with front panel which is a plus toward the audigy. As far as EAX versions for Win98 games, any use what the Audigy gives for games that do not work in XP or Windows 10? If a games works just as good in XP or Windows 10, I'd rather just play it there. I have an XP machine with X-Fi and my Win10 machine (my main) has a SB X AE-5 so I have Alchemy support.

Thanks for any info!

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Audigy 2 ZS will have much cleaner output than the Live!.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Check the list of games and see which apply to your catalog, Not many Win98 games need anything more then EAX 3.
But the Audigy drivers are less bloated and it is supposd to have much better sound, I'll admit I cant tell the difference with that though.

I would say as you already have it go for it unless you have somewhere else to use it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_EAX_support

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other thing you could try is to install the Audigy drivers on the Live! That's what I did back when I have a Live!

It does improve the output quality and the Audigy drivers are less buggy. The Audigy 2 ZS is still a much better card though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With many sound card drivers EAX 1.0 to 2.0 can be calculated on the CPU without a DSP to help it. Sound Blaster Live! and Audigy cards offload some of it to the card's DSP so games run a bit faster but they aren't needed.
Starting with EAX 3.0 Creative went proprietary with further versions. Still EAX 3.0 was released with the Audigy in August 2001 so any game that uses it can be run on XP no problem. Audigy isn't a necessity on Win98.
My opinion: try both cards and use the one you like better. 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone. I think I will go with the Audigy 2 ZS, at least first. The front panel is kinds cool. I think the hardware behind the panel is actually the same as the Live Drive with a different label.

What games really show off the EAX in a night and day level. I'll test out NFS High Stakes from Phil's SB Live best Win98 card, which is why I was considering it, but with the SB 32, I don't need SB emulation.

That is three sound cards in one build. Never thought about doing that in 25 years of PC building.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista