VOGONS

First post, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an Asus TUV4X mobo and a Sony DVD-ROM drive. I can boot from both floppy and CDROM. But when either loads the Oak driver to enable CDROM support, the driver "hangs". I put that in quote because the machine doesn't hang. I can still NUM-lock on and off, and CTRL+ALT+DELETE works. The driver just...never finishes loading.

I've tried everything I can think of. I have changed the RAM, toggled all the BIOS options, swapped the cables, PIO/DMA modes on and off, different optical drive, optical drive only, etc.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try? Please resist the urge to recommend other ways I can transfer data. I know them all and I have them all working. This is just about getting the optical drive to be accessible without Windows installed and started.

Reply 2 of 6, by pixelmischief

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS feature "CPU-DRAM Back-Back Transaction" was the culprit. Also noticed a second symptom. While it doesn't break floppy drive operation, it does leave the access light running constantly until Windows starts.

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here)." Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers