VOGONS

First post, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I built a machine similar to Phil's cheap Voodoo 5. Its using a Quadro FX 3000 mostly because as Phil said in his video, the FX series supports 8-bit palleted textures but I also got it for $20.

The Quadro FX 3000 is LOUD! It sounds like the PC should be hovering. But it runs great! Unreal using nGlide to run using Glide at 1600x1200 with 32-bit color and 60 FPS with VSYNC on is awesome! BUT ITS LOUD!

I have a Geforce FX 5700 Ultra that is quite-er (still audible) but it only pushes a jerky 30 FPS but that is with vsync on.

So this is where the 8-bit palleted question comes in. What would I loose by using a card w/o 8-bit palleted textures? I have a much more powerful and quieter Geforece 6800 GT and Radeon X850 XT but they don't support 8-bit palleted textures.

I know FF7 and FF8 use them but I have those on Steam. VOGONS Wiki mentions European Air War but I will probably never play that. Any other games need 8-bit palleted textures as in won't even run or force software rendering? Does nGlide need them?

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 1 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have a Quadro 4 900 XGL. I was thinking of putting it up on ebay. Do you think that might be a better option? I'm really looking at getting nGlide at 1600x1200 working smoothly. I think outside of nGlide, the Quadro 4 would do great.

Steamer/GOG-er: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 3.7GHz all cores | Mushkin 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 w/ 6-6-6-18 1T | Dual AMD Radeon HD 6850s in CrossFireX | X-Fi Titanium | Dual-boot Windows XP and Vista

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the only complaint is the noise can't you replace the heatsink and fan on the Quadro?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

If the only complaint is the noise can't you replace the heatsink and fan on the Quadro?

Thought about it. I think a heatsink for a FX 5900 or 5950 would work. I just have several "free" options.

Reply 4 of 10, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vogonswiki has an entry on games which support 8-bit Palleted Textures, although I'd guess its still a work in progress because there's not much there: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … texture_support

It was also discussed a lot here: Table Fog & 8-bit Paletted Textures

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 5 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BinaryDemon wrote:

Vogonswiki has an entry on games which support 8-bit Palleted Textures, although I'd guess its still a work in progress because there's not much there: https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … texture_support

It was also discussed a lot here: Table Fog & 8-bit Paletted Textures

I did read those. My main question I guess would be if the card doesn't support the palleted textures (and table fog) does nGlide on its own? Does the card have to? I play games using nGlide on Windows 10 with a RX 580 and they seem to work without issues, FF7 or FF8 isn't one of them. Thief uses a different engine to run in Win10.

Reply 6 of 10, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For starters, a lot of the major paletted games are UnrealEngine1 based. Any images are required to be a paletted texture as there's no other supported texture format (Besides DXT1 for the s3holes)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 10, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

For starters, a lot of the major paletted games are UnrealEngine1 based. Any images are required to be a paletted texture as there's no other supported texture format (Besides DXT1/3 for the s3holes)

Can dgvoodoo2 emulate palatalized textures with shaders?

Does Nglide use palatalized textures if the card supports it? I have always been curious about that.

Reply 8 of 10, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 9xxxx like 9600 has support for Nglide in win98? ATi were no good for win98

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 9 of 10, by GiSWiG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I beg to differ, especially after what I've learned these past few years getting back into retro. However, I did look down on ATI pretty much religously without a second thought until I got a Radeon 6670 HD but ATI was not AMD (figure out how many years that was). I was a 3dfx fanboy and then a nVidia fanboy. Now in my wise old years, I'm no one's fanboy other than being particular on motherboard brands (ASUS above all, MSI second).

I've kinda put this project on the back burner in favor of a true Win98 PC with a Voodoo 3 3000, P3B-F, P3 933MHz (can only run at 700MHz due to 100MHz FSB) an SB32 CT3670, Vortex2 and Audigy 2 ZS. The missing piece is the Voodoo 1 I have that might be busted. Bought as new-old-stock, pass through works, but as soon as glide loads, I just get a black screen. I've tried several monitors, several boards, several games and nada. Look brand new and the thing just won't work. That is for another day.

Almost all of the games that I would play on this high-end Win98 work fine on my XP pc or in Win10 with new engines. Some games are great in 2560x1080 ultrawide (Wolf3D, Doom games, Duke3d, Tomb Raider 1, etc..

Reply 10 of 10, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After some headaches with my p3 550Mhz, i moved to a p4 2.2GHz, GF2MX( will be replaced with a fx5500 or 5700LE for Nglide), 32gb sd card and Aueral vortex1 to cover some dos and win games until 2002 era.
For old stuff just a pentium classic. For later xp games , my actual win 10 machine will cover well(I3 6100+ rx 460).

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.