VOGONS

First post, by toastdieb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm trying to put the finishing touches on what will end up being my first "from scratch" 486, and one of the very last things I need to do is to get a CD drive installed and working. Since my mainboard doesn't have onboard IDE/floppy connectors, everything has to go through controller cards, and I have three IDE drives (one HDD, one CF, and the CD) but only two IDE connectors on my controller card, so I'm trying to connect the CD through the IDE connector on my sound card, a CT2940. However, neither the manufacturer provided driver for my CD drive nor SBIDE.SYS are detecting the drive.

Is there some weird procedure to use the IDE on a SB16? I know the problem isn't the drive or the cables, so it's either the card or something I've done (or not done)

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:168,10,36e D […]
Show full quote

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:168,10,36e
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SSCDROM.SYS /D:MSCD001
DOS=HIGH
FILES=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 SET CTCM=C:\CTCM C:\CTCM\CTCU /S C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X @ECHO OFF […]
Show full quote

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTCM=C:\CTCM
C:\CTCM\CTCU /S
C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

Reply 3 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT2940 is a Plug-N-Play card and it appears you have the Creative PNP drivers CTCM and CTCU installed.
Have you also run CTCU from a DOS prompt to see what it says ?
An observation: using a PNP sound card on a 486 build can be done but you would be better off to get an earlier non PNP version with jumpers that match the build period of the motherboard.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 9, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
toastdieb wrote:

Have you tried:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1E8,11

Having trouble finding good documentation on SBIDE.SYS but based on googling -

/P:168,10 seems like it might be trying to use the sound card IDE as IDE2 when your controller card has probably claimed IDE1 and IDE2 already.
/P:1E8,11 looks like it might register it as IDE3

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 9, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
toastdieb wrote:
So I'm trying to put the finishing touches on what will end up being my first "from scratch" 486, and one of the very last thing […]
Show full quote

So I'm trying to put the finishing touches on what will end up being my first "from scratch" 486, and one of the very last things I need to do is to get a CD drive installed and working. Since my mainboard doesn't have onboard IDE/floppy connectors, everything has to go through controller cards, and I have three IDE drives (one HDD, one CF, and the CD) but only two IDE connectors on my controller card, so I'm trying to connect the CD through the IDE connector on my sound card, a CT2940. However, neither the manufacturer provided driver for my CD drive nor SBIDE.SYS are detecting the drive.

Is there some weird procedure to use the IDE on a SB16? I know the problem isn't the drive or the cables, so it's either the card or something I've done (or not done)

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS DEVICE=C:\CTCM\CTCM.EXE DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\SBIDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:168,10,36e D […]
Show full quote

DOS=HIGH
FILES=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 SET CTCM=C:\CTCM C:\CTCM\CTCU /S C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X @ECHO OFF […]
Show full quote

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g

You need to assign a drive letter in Autoexec.bat

Try this

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:R

If that does not work then try VIDECDD.SYS driver.

Config.sys
DEVICE=VIDECDD.SYS /D:MSCD001

LASTDRIVE=Z

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-10-07, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by toastdieb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
You need to assign a drive letter in Autoexec.bat […]
Show full quote
toastdieb wrote:
So I'm trying to put the finishing touches on what will end up being my first "from scratch" 486, and one of the very last thing […]
Show full quote

CONFIG.SYS

Show full quote

DOS=HIGH
FILES=30

AUTOEXEC.BAT

Show full quote

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g

You need to assign a drive letter in Autoexec.bat

Try this

C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /L:E

If that does not work then try VIDECDD.SYS driver.

Is that something I'll need to do specifically because I'm routing it through the SB16? When connected to IDE2 on my controller card, the CD is autoassigned D: using my current Config.sys and Autoexec.bat.

(Haven't been home long enough to do anything but sleep, so I haven't tried any of the proposed solutions yet - tonight, hopefully!)

Reply 8 of 9, by toastdieb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was laid out with strep for about a week and then got tied up with home winterization after I recovered, but I finally managed to get back to this project tonight. I don't know exactly what I did, but it suddenly decided to start working without any changes to my CONFIG.SYS. While I was away, I had ordered some MPC cables and fresh CR2032s, so I popped those in along with a couple sticks of memory I had lying around. My best guess is that I must have had the BIOS configured incorrectly before or something. IRQ settings shouldn't affect drive visibility though, right?

Anyway, it's working now.