VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i bough Lucky star 5mvp3 4.0 SS7 MB, i have problem to get PS/2 mouse to run.. it arrived without PS/2 header, so i salvage one from other machine (where it was working fine), but wiring is probably not compatible, i didnt found PS/2 mouse Bios option is probably always enables.. or dead, if is not problem with wiring, but i doubt it.

In manual is only very bad description of header connector..

Manual.PNG
Filename
Manual.PNG
File size
18.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My cable:

2019-10-12 22.56.01-PS2mousCable.jpg
Filename
File size
176.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 11, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that header is pretty standard, but I could be wrong. Here's the pin out for my MB-8500TTD:

fhhpKNz.jpg

An image I found on the web:

i5QKUjv.gif

When in doubt, use your volt/ohm meter and measure. When I bought a cable for the PS/2 port for my MB8500, I had to redo the wires and verify them with a pin/ohm meter because the wire colors weren't standard.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ruthan wrote:
Hello, i bough Lucky star 5mvp3 4.0 SS7 MB, i have problem to get PS/2 mouse to run.. it arrived without PS/2 header, so i salva […]
Show full quote

Hello,
i bough Lucky star 5mvp3 4.0 SS7 MB, i have problem to get PS/2 mouse to run.. it arrived without PS/2 header, so i salvage one from other machine (where it was working fine), but wiring is probably not compatible, i didnt found PS/2 mouse Bios option is probably always enables.. or dead, if is not problem with wiring, but i doubt it.

In manual is only very bad description of header connector..

Manual.PNG

My cable:

Try this, it works on mine: ps/2 header

Reply 3 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some clumsy measurement with voltemeter (i have this electrical and soldering, not computer stuff) if resistence is small or not.

I seems that these are connected:
PS My Cable MB end \ Right side of your PS/2 diagram front connector.
Red=Data
Blue=Clock
Yellow=GND
Green=Vcc

So wired it as for you MB header reagarding of diagram, if im not wrong its (MB connector color):
Pin 1 - red
Pin2 - nothing
Pin 3- Yellow
Pin4- Green
Pin5 - Blue

Still nothing, so my MB header is maybe wired by other way.

I really dont know how to measure MB pins.. on connected its simple there is just 1 cable and i need to find right ends, but on MB?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 4 of 11, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

checked a few manuals and the Shuttle HOT-553 has the Data and Clock (pins 1 and 5) swapped on the motherboard connector compared to the image Repo Man11 posted, the others pins are the same.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can find GND by putting the multimeter one probe to black wires or the chassis itself and other you use to find 0ohm connection on the header, for 5V you put one probe to red wires (HDD power, mobo power) and find the 5V on the header. The not connected pin can be determined by using diode test against 5V and GND, without connection you won't get any sort of reading while pins that go somewhere will show something between 300...700. Last remaining pins are your data and clock, try one way, if it doesn't work, swap them and try again and you finally have figured out the pinout.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, for all these measurements, has to be machine turned on or not?

Reply 7 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Always off, when power is on the resistance and diode test readings will be all completely wrong.

Reply 8 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still nothing.. I checked testing mouse is still alive, its working with other machine. Im testing it with newest Cute mouse - device not found, with Serial mouse its working.

I only discover that pin 3 - is probably not connected infinite Resistance.
Im getting near zero resistance on pins - 4 and 5, when second probe is connected to case - so i dunno which one is GND. // Other gave me ~500 Ohms.
When i measured it when it was turn on i got +5V on first pin - second probe was connected red PSU cable. When its shutdown im getting anything 0.14 V or so on some pins, nothing significant.

I tried lots of combination still nothing.

With some combinations, im able to stop keyboard working.

Seller send me this:
Motherboard -> Mini-din PS/2 connector // 3rd collumn my mapping (check it pleas)
1 -> 5 (DAT) // Red
2 -> 1 (CLK) // Blue
3 --
4 -> 3 (GND) // Yellow
5 -> 4 (+5V) //Green

Im quite sure its i connected it that way but nothing.. Im not sure it it sound seems to be compatible with my measurements.. pin 1 should be data, i measured +5V, but maybe i dint it wrong. Pin 3 - seems to be right.

Reply 9 of 11, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this:
1. Mouse Clock
2. Mouse Data
3. Not Connected
4. Ground
5. VCC

It's not listed in the 5MVP3 manuals that are still available, but there is a valid pinout in the 5MVP4 manual:
http://www.elhvb.com/mboards/luckystar/manual … 4/5mvp4_v10.pdf

Reply 10 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On one luckystar motherboard I determined the pinout to be what is found here : LS-P54CE Rev:G1 mouse connector pinout

Looks like yours except Data and Clock are reversed.

Reply 11 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for info.. I forgot on this project, during experimenting i probably killed Keyboard port.. Do you think that its possible to repair it by some soldering and chip replacement?

MB is booting, but keyboard is leds are only blinking and machine not register key presses.