VOGONS

First post, by data9791

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

https://www.hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/103 … me-motherboard/
pf88_1.jpg

Did they actually end up putting these into production? If so did anyone here own one or see one in person?
Everything online just looks like reviews of test units.

Reply 1 of 8, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like a real kludge.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, they did, although named as PF88 Extreme Hybrid.

They even offer support on their site for the board:

https://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Pro … 20-LL-Intel-RR-

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asrock also had a few boards like this, like the 939Dual-SATA2 that could be extended with AM2 upgrade board.

Typical 'Overdrive' type marketing trick: technically there is an upgrade path, but in the end actually using it would be more expensive and worse performing than just replacing the board in the first place (and that's assuming these monsters actually fit into your case...). However for the retro-connoiseur of weird shit, they are cool as hell 😉

Reply 4 of 8, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, ASRock had a s.754 board that could be expanded to 939 as well, back in the days when they were into doing weird shit like that (and got a bad rep because of dodgy designs/performance).

Reply 5 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's kinda cool. I wouldn't mind having one just so I could say I have it.

Kinda further out there than the ASRock designs as those were all for the same brand of CPU.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 8, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ASRock even had a board that came with both 754 and 939 sockets right out of the box, no add-on upgrade boards required. I have one in my collection, but most of its capacitors are busted, so it's awaiting a complete recap before I can even test whether it works.

The K8 Combo-Z in all its beauty (not my picture):

K8%20Combo-Z%28L1%29.png

Reply 7 of 8, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a genuine fascination with things like this, things that have no right to exist and yet do. Their value at the time was questionable, much like dionb has already stated, however the engineering and "just cause we could" philosophy behind them is pretty cool.

Somewhat recently, ASRock made an x299 mITX board that's just insane once you start thinking about it and taking a closer look. Behold: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X299E-ITXac/index.asp
Very limited use cases, but fucking hell this is a thing of beauty. Now, if only they made a Threadripper board like that ... 🤣