VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
as the title says - i am thinking about an upgrade. At the moment i am using a GeForce 4 Ti 4600. It's a great GPU - everything runs fine without any problems. Before that i used a voodoo3 in a super socket 7 system and it was also great graphic performance. Until now i never had the chance to see more than youtube videos that show voodoo sli builds. I am not sure if it is worth it spending the money on two extra cards when my current system performs so well. Think it is an individual decision... But who knows... I appreciate your opinions

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 15, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Performance wise it is not an upgrade to have Voodoo2 (even in SLI) compared to Ti4600 but it is mostly to play many Glide games with their intended graphics (which looks really good).
Not to mention it is just cool to have 🙁

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 2 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you're satisfied with game compatinility and performance there's no practical need for an upgrade. 😎
The V2 SLI will be a lot slower than your GF4600 Ti. On games that actually profit from Glide it won't matter as much though.
In my opinion V2 SLI is kind of cool to have in one's collection but it's not ideal for a daily driver. Plus prices got way out of hand.

Reply 3 of 15, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a pentium 3 that has both GeForce 4 Ti 4600 and Voodoo 2 SLI in win98. Voodoos are slower of course but adding them brings compatibility with more older games. It all depends on what you want to play.

Reply 4 of 15, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you still have the Voodoo 3? Only advantage a V2 SLI has over a V3 is you could pair it with the GF4 and have best of both worlds (Glide and D3D) in 1 PC

And if the V3 is PCI you can do what I did and pair it with the 4600 as a second graphics card in the same PC. I set it up as a duel screen PC and for the most part it works well. D3D games play on the 4600 Glide games use the Voodoo, a few games require the Ti4600 to be disabled though.

Oh and as mentioned above some games may not be compatible with the V3 and SLI is defiantly cool

Reply 5 of 15, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quick replies... Thx... 😀

Yes I still have the voodoo 3 and no it isn't the PCI but the AGP version. The points: nice to have and best of both worlds are the most convincing pros for me. I realized that I have to check, if I have enough room in my case. I am using a mATX Mainboard... And AGP is occupied as well as the ISA Slot. Remaining only 2 PCI slots. I will see... And tell...

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 6 of 15, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quantum3D Obsidian II takes only one PCI slot, huehuehue.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to answer with a question as I'll be getting a Tualatin setup myself soon.

How is performance with a glide wrapper?

I would imagine a fast Pentium 3 with a gf 4 or 5 series card will run most of the games that absolutely benefit from glide just fine using a wrapper (quake, tomb raider, other titles that would be stuck in software mode without a voodoo) while also being able to run late 90s and early 00 games at vastly better frame rates, 32-bpp, higher res, etc. I don't particularly care for glide in games that support OGL or DX like Diablo II. It seems to me only a short window of games absolutely require glide for any 3d acceleration.

That said, I'm in the supreme minority of people who don't really care about voodoo cards, especially for the price. I'm fine with the alternatives. I'd like a voodoo 2 in a socket 7 rig, but by 2000 voodoo cards weren't desirable at all to me tbh.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 10 of 15, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which card you want depends on what you use the system for. For DOS and early windows the voodoo 3 is better. After 2001 or so the voodoo 3 is pretty much useless.

It is cheaper to get a voodoo 3 PCI than 2 voodoo 2s. I picked up a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI for 80$ USD and I have seen at least one more go for a similar price at auction. I flashed my 2000 PCI to a 3000 bios and it works just fine that way. I switch between it and my FX quadro in the bios and it seems to work fine.

Reply 11 of 15, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:
I'd like to answer with a question as I'll be getting a Tualatin setup myself soon. […]
Show full quote

I'd like to answer with a question as I'll be getting a Tualatin setup myself soon.

How is performance with a glide wrapper?

I would imagine a fast Pentium 3 with a gf 4 or 5 series card will run most of the games that absolutely benefit from glide just fine using a wrapper (quake, tomb raider, other titles that would be stuck in software mode without a voodoo) while also being able to run late 90s and early 00 games at vastly better frame rates, 32-bpp, higher res, etc. I don't particularly care for glide in games that support OGL or DX like Diablo II. It seems to me only a short window of games absolutely require glide for any 3d acceleration.

That said, I'm in the supreme minority of people who don't really care about voodoo cards, especially for the price. I'm fine with the alternatives. I'd like a voodoo 2 in a socket 7 rig, but by 2000 voodoo cards weren't desirable at all to me tbh.

Yes... I tried... And it works well. But whether there are differences in comparison to real voodoo cards or not... I don't know

Edit: found a comparison video yesterday on YouTube. It shows latest version of nglide vs real voodoo gpu

Reply 12 of 15, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DNSDies wrote:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZmCEXbspWuI/maxresdefault.jpg […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Quantum3D Obsidian II takes only one PCI slot, huehuehue.

maxresdefault.jpg

JeqUgm4.png

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 13 of 15, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think with a fast Pentium3 you are starting to get into the era when having <32mb vram is going to limit the games you can play so unless you were considering a Voodoo4/5, it’s gonna hold you back a little.

Lazar81 wrote:

Edit: found a comparison video yesterday on YouTube. It shows latest version of nglide vs real voodoo gpu

Can you post the link? I’ve seen some comparisons but they are usually very specific.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 15 of 15, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You would have to see static pictures side by side to tell a difference (meaning you can't see a difference when actually playing unless there is a glitch).

My voodoo 2 12MB SLI is in a Gateway 2000 P2-500 tower I think with a TNT2 AGP video card from what I recall, its been years since I fired it up to play Diablo 2.

I built a Slot A Athlon 700 system a few months back and stuck an AGP Voodoo 3 3000 in it and I am sure that is faster then the SLI rig. No idea where my V3-3500 went, but the cable is sitting on a stack of machines in the basement.

I think 3dfx cards are a bit pricey these days, but when I started snagging them to fill in the gaps of what I had when they were new they were inexpensive.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software