VOGONS

Reply 380 of 394, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2020-10-06, 22:52:

Perhaps Horun and anyone else who needs one could PM you? I'm sure you can reply even if you can't start a PM conversation.

you actually can't 🤣 it's real retarded

Reply 381 of 394, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's just weird!

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 382 of 394, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ProServa wrote on 2020-10-06, 22:07:

I'd love to replace your damaged one. However, I don't have enough posts to send a PM. Unless that magic number is 3 or 4 I don't see it happening. Sorry about that.

Just keep posting and you'll get there. Aren't there any other threads that interest you? 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 383 of 394, by ProServa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-09-26, 03:59:
ProServa wrote on 2020-09-25, 07:35:

FYI- I did not send any damaged bezels and I have the photos to prove it. The implication that I sent damaged bezels while holding back perfectly good ones is beyond insulting and would not be tolerated in a face to face confrontation. The damage occurred in transit.

You have extra bezels ? PM me How much to get one to replace the shipping damaged one, thanks.
edit: re-worded my comment

Look on eBay. Higher than what they would've been direct but I believe they're still reasonable. I didn't reread the forum rules. I hope this is allowed. If not, sorry about that.

Reply 384 of 394, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ProServa wrote on 2020-10-16, 01:32:
Horun wrote on 2020-09-26, 03:59:
ProServa wrote on 2020-09-25, 07:35:

FYI- I did not send any damaged bezels and I have the photos to prove it. The implication that I sent damaged bezels while holding back perfectly good ones is beyond insulting and would not be tolerated in a face to face confrontation. The damage occurred in transit.

You have extra bezels ? PM me How much to get one to replace the shipping damaged one, thanks.
edit: re-worded my comment

Look on eBay. Higher than what they would've been direct but I believe they're still reasonable. I didn't reread the forum rules. I hope this is allowed. If not, sorry about that.

I have sent you a PM, including my email in case you can't reply to my PM.

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 385 of 394, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I messaged ProServa here (giving an email address to reply to) and in eBay, offering to buy all the bezels, to be shipped to CPUShack. I have had no reply to either message, which makes me feel like he is an opportunist or scammer (I hope I'm wrong and that he is merely disorganised).

Reply 386 of 394, by omega552003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize for resurrecting this thread.

I found one of these boards, I/O plane, and cache (all separated) by chance at a recycler over a year ago. After resoldering a damaged cap next to one of the socket clips and with this thread's help I was able to get it to boot.

I do have a question about the behavior of the Adaptec 6370. I don't see the boot ROM on boot when HDDs are attached, is it only for floppy and CDROM?

Edit: Woot 386th reply!

Reply 387 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've only used the 6370 (50-pin) with a CD-ROM. Use the 68-pin for HDDs.

Has anyone with one of these system have the DS1587 fail on them? I had some issue in which my NVRAM got corrupted, so I dremelled away pins 19 and 23 to reveal the battery terminals. The battery voltage is still at 2.9 V. How is this possible? The datecode is from 1997. Were the batteries in the DS1587 much larger than in the DS1287?

One more observation: You cannot increase the system's date past 2030!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 388 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Similarly, haven't tried any 50 pin on the 6370, and all my drives have weird formats atm so can't test.

My DS1587 dates from September 1996, and shows no signs of failing so it can't be purely a datecode thing - the datasheet suggests proper operation between 2.5 & 3.7 volts so maybe something else is in play (failing NVRAM?)

As for the system date, I'll count myself lucky if thats an issue for me!! 😀

Reply 389 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2021-11-02, 09:00:

so maybe something else is in play (failing NVRAM?)

Possibly. Are there any complete modern replacements for the DS1587?

EDIT: I went ahead and added a CR2032 coin cell to the DS1587 anyway, combining the 2.9 V and 3.2 V in parallel rather than disconnecting the original battery. Let's see if the marginally increased voltage helps the situation. I had the system out about 3 weeks ago and it was running fine, then I pulled it out again, turned it on, got some odd BSOD in NT4. Rebooted and it beeped some erratic nonsense pattern that seem like it was not a proper beep code sequence. Rebooted again and screen stayed black. Pulled out all cards, set CMOS clear, put the P200 back in (previous was MMX on adapter), and added CR2032 --> system boots up after I reconfigure EISA/NVRAM.

From the symptoms, it is hard to say what exactly is the issue. I noticed that the Kingston adapters I'm using w/P233MMX have tin feet for the PGA, while CPUs traditionally have gold plated feet. Perhaps some issue with dissimilar metal corrosion is taking hold here. With that in mind, I also sprayed contact cleaner on the Kingston upgrade modules. Maybe I should also pull the P233 MMX chips from the modules and spray in the female ports. Maybe I need to find some upgrade adapters with gold contacts.

Reply 390 of 394, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure if any of these are any more available than the DS1587, but the direct replacement for the DS1585 / DS1587 seems to have been the DS1589 / DS1593. There is also a DS1689 / DS1693 which mentions itself as a successor to the DS1585 (but not the DS1587), but only the DS1589 / DS1593 says its functionally identical to either of the DS158x parts.

Filename
1585-87.pdf
File size
183.33 KiB
Downloads
56 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
1589-93.pdf
File size
92.64 KiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File license
Filename
1689-93.pdf
File size
199.68 KiB
Downloads
48 downloads
File license

Reply 391 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see the 1689-1693 series as having the additional 8Kbyte of NVRAM. I'm guessing this is where the EISA data is stored?

Reply 392 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DS1230AB has 32 KByte of NVRAM and is also 28-pins, but the assignments look a little different.

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/ … 0AB-DS1230Y.pdf

$35 on mouser, and in-stock.
$20 ePay.

Reply 393 of 394, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally found two Evergreen Spectra's of the same revision for a price low enough. Looks like there were three revisions of the Evergreen Spectra 333/400:

P55C-K6-L2
P55C-K6-S2 rev.B
P55c-K6-S2 rev.C

P55C-K6-L2 has a linear regulator, while P55C-K6-S2 has a switching regulator. When I first obtained P55C-K6-L2, it was dead on arrival. The linear regulator was toast. I replaced it, and all was well. I then went looking for a second P55C-K6-L2 to match, but could only find the P55C-K6-S2 rev.B. I eventually found two P55C-K6-S2 rev.B units. Does anyone know what the rev.C added?

I replaced my Kingston P233 MMX interposers because I didn't care for how they were using tinned pins. Also, to adjust the multiplier, you need to pry out the CPU from the interposer to access the dip switches.

Evergreen_Spectra_333_with_PentiumMMX.JPG
Filename
Evergreen_Spectra_333_with_PentiumMMX.JPG
File size
443.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

EDIT:
I also added a 300 GB, Ultra320 15K hard drive to the system using the onboard SCSI port. There's a guy on eBay practically giving them away NIB. I think I paid $16 each, with free shipping. I bought six units.

Reply 394 of 394, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote on 2022-08-02, 12:45:

I also added a 300 GB, Ultra320 15K hard drive to the system using the onboard SCSI port. There's a guy on eBay practically giving them away NIB. I think I paid $16 each, with free shipping. I bought six units.

would you be so kind as to DM me the link to this listing