VOGONS

First post, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

s-l1600.jpg

Ok, so not exactly a "thin client" with the expansion module installed (which adds a Parallel port, extra Serial port, and most importantly, a PCI slot). Threw in a Yamaha ymf724 sound card, upgraded the 44-pin DOM to 4GB, and in real DOS mode, Soundblaster audio (both music and sound) work great (DSDMA, also had to limit visible RAM).

Games tested so far and working perfectly:
-Duke Nukem 3D at 800x600
-Doom
-Commander Keen 4 (smooth scrolling too! )
-Epic Pinball
-Hocus Pocus
-Realms of Chaos

Almost working:
-Carmageddon (sound only, couldn't get music to work)

This is an interesting machine. It has an Atom N280 processor and integrated Intel Express 4 graphics (GMA 4500m). Shame that there's no video driver support for Windows 98. However, I did get XP to install 3dMark 2001 score was around 3400.

Reply 1 of 8, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Love it.

Native XP driver for the video? If so, this could be great silent retro PC for older games.
Can it run MUNT without slowing down too much?

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you just post 2 of these up on eBay?

I actually like the T5720 better. I really dislike the Intel Atom CPU line.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

Love it.

Native XP driver for the video? If so, this could be great silent retro PC for older games.

Yes - native XP video driver.

re: MUNT - I have to admit I'm not at all familiar with this software. Looks like a MIDI emulator?

cyclone3d wrote:

Did you just post 2 of these up on eBay?

I actually like the T5720 better. I really dislike the Intel Atom CPU line.

Yeah that was me. I've had a bunch of these sitting around for a while now, finally got around to getting the build done. Curious what you don't like about the Atoms? Personally I don't have much experience with them.

Reply 4 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the newer Atom CPUs might be better, but the ones that came with some NEC 40" displays we had were absolute trash.

Max 2GB single channel RAM and the dumb CPUs were so slow that running Windows 7 on them was absolutely infuriating.

Netbooks with the old Atom CPUs were not any better. Maybe fast enough to run something like XP at an acceptable speed, but definitely nowhere near fast enough for 7 or higher.. even though 7 was what they came with stock.

Kinda in the same vein as all the OEMs and MS pushing that 512MB RAM with a slow CPU was good enough for Vista. Yeah.. two hours minimum on a service call to fix a simple issue because they had such crap hardware in them... grrrr.

Those T5740 thin clients are definitely good enough for retro gaming though so no biggie.

I would like to see a pic of the PCI riser though. With the T5720, you need to add capacitors to the riser to get it to work properly with some cards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 8, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I agree as far as using an Atom on a newer system - they don't have the horsepower for anything beyond a low-end Windows XP build. My only bigger pet peeve than underpowered CPU's that come into my repair shop is Windows 10 laptops with a 32GB emmc hard drive. These things barely hold a bare OS installation, let alone Windows updates. 64 GB is the absolute bare minimum they should be selling Windows 10 installed on.

Anyways, here is the pic you asked for. I would note too that there are actually 2 riser options - a standard PCI, and there's also one that's black in color instead of white that offers PCI-E expansion.

pci.jpg

Reply 6 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tpowell.ca wrote:

Love it.

I've run Munt on a Netbook with an N270. It's viable with an optimized build, but I'm not sure there would be a lot left for the client software.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 7 of 8, by phdzz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bmwsvsu wrote on 2019-11-05, 19:27:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QVgAAOSwfOBdwaxq/s-l1600.jpg […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg

Ok, so not exactly a "thin client" with the expansion module installed (which adds a Parallel port, extra Serial port, and most importantly, a PCI slot). Threw in a Yamaha ymf724 sound card, upgraded the 44-pin DOM to 4GB, and in real DOS mode, Soundblaster audio (both music and sound) work great (DSDMA, also had to limit visible RAM).

Games tested so far and working perfectly:
-Duke Nukem 3D at 800x600
-Doom
-Commander Keen 4 (smooth scrolling too! )
-Epic Pinball
-Hocus Pocus
-Realms of Chaos

Almost working:
-Carmageddon (sound only, couldn't get music to work)

This is an interesting machine. It has an Atom N280 processor and integrated Intel Express 4 graphics (GMA 4500m). Shame that there's no video driver support for Windows 98. However, I did get XP to install 3dMark 2001 score was around 3400.

Hello. Do you have installed video driver for windows 98 and XP? If you did and worked well, how can I get drivers for 2 OS?

Reply 8 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bmwsvsu wrote on 2019-11-05, 21:18:

Oh, I agree as far as using an Atom on a newer system - they don't have the horsepower for anything beyond a low-end Windows XP build. My only bigger pet peeve than underpowered CPU's that come into my repair shop is Windows 10 laptops with a 32GB emmc hard drive. These things barely hold a bare OS installation, let alone Windows updates. 64 GB is the absolute bare minimum they should be selling Windows 10 installed on.

Heh yeah, buying new machines with 32GB drives means that there might be a lot more unintentional "retrocomputing" out there than you first think... I could see squeezing the 32-bit version on such a small drive but not 64.