VOGONS

First post, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought a voodoo 2 for like 10 dollars knowing that it needed recaped, in unknown condition, and untested. I thought Id give it a shot on a recap. It also appears to have some bent legs on 2 of the chips that are touching but my initial insection didn't look like they were broken. . I am not a expert and what not. I wonder if I try to straited those legs so they are not touching and recap it if it can be saved.
The card looks like this one

adhWnmz.jpg

B7tghHk.jpg

The bent legs not sure if broken or not.
HzVR0TP.jpg
OKkncwt.jpg
PFUahrH.jpg

Last edited by Warlord on 2019-11-06, 04:26. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SSTV2 wrote:

Why would you want to do that is beyond me.

because it has missing caps on it, and ones that look bad? 🤣
There is atleaset 4 missing caps on the card and 80% of the others don't look good. Ill post pics.

says 10 16s 9g4

Reply 4 of 16, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

touching legs on the chips makes me not want to test it, unfortunately I don't have a microscope to try to fix those. I was considering investing in a stereo microscope and a rework station, for other reasons, maybe somone on vogons wants to try and fix the card for me. I knew most of this thats why I only paid 10 dollars for it but i didn't realize the dammage. Ill post pics.

Reply 5 of 16, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found syringe needles to be the best tool for straightening pins on QPF ICs, its sharp sloping tip lets you bend those pins as much as needed w/o deforming nearby pins. Some may suggest a sharp blade for this purpose, but it has to be super thin.

Reply 6 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah a good exacto knife would work or a small needle as you said SSTV2. As far as the missing caps: probably knocked off by same thing that bent the pins being they are SMT and not solder thru type.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 16, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't always work like that. I just repaired a crappy TVGA8900 that had all the caps bent and broken. All for ¢25 and 30 minutes soldering. I'm no expert either.
Turning it on while you know it's missing parts is too risky in my book. Those 10u/16V caps cost maybe a grand total of ¢20. What's the hurry? Repairs take time. Checking continuity should be the first step to search for broken traces in the damaged areas. Skipping these and hooking the card up now could result in further damages.
It's just my opinion and it's your card and your time.

Reply 13 of 16, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can try the card without caps no problem (it will not cause damage) but make sure that all legs on the chips do not touch each other.

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)

Reply 14 of 16, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Paadam wrote:

You can try the card without caps no problem (it will not cause damage) but make sure that all legs on the chips do not touch each other.

correct

Reply 15 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if you just run DOS version of Mojo from a DOS boot it should not hurt the card missing the caps and should give you a report if the card is detected proper. If so then proceed with fixing the caps. I would be very wary of booting into Windows and running any major tests that will actually strain the gpu's or ram like Quake or TombRaider tests...just my opinion. Those caps are there for a reason 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 16, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote:

Those caps are there for a reason 😀

Yes they are, and that reason is to protect signal integrity by smoothing ripple, not to prevent damage of any kind