VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Infinity IN-USB-2 transcriber's foot pedal I'd like to repurpose. Normally these work like a USB keyboard, but the problem is the keypresses it offers are the fast-forward / play / rewind buttons on an extended multimedia keyboard. Windows 98 detects it as a USB HID & installs the default driver, but doesn't know what to do with these keystrokes and most software doesn't either.

I'd like to remap these to something more useful, like normal keys or even mouse buttons. I found the neat little program Pedable which works great on my Win7 box (using it right now!), but I can't find anything equivalent for Win98. I keep getting led down 20-year-old forum rabbit holes that end nowhere. 😜 Anyone have any ideas?

For that matter, I'd love to get this working on Linux too. Suggestions appreciated!

(BTW since it's probably the most obvious suggestion, no, Autohotkey doesn't seem to work with this thing, at least according to a few threads on its official support forum.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 1, by STX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Possibly it could be done with a custom AutoHotKey 1.0 script. I once used a newer version of AutoHotKey to program a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000's multimedia buttons without using Microsoft's keyboard software. AutoHotKey's Windows 98 support is incomplete and will never be completed though.