VOGONS

Fabricating a New Turbo Display

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 112, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I simply using an arduino nano or just an ATMega328 plus one of those 0.36" 7-Segment Display TM1637. Fits perfectly and way cheaper. Plus you can program it to your own taste. Mine is scrolling and glowing up at start for example.

Attachments

• TM1637.jpg
    Filename
    TM1637.jpg
    File size
    82.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 101 of 112, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the 2-digit in my 3D printed case.

PXL_20221023_225338301~2.jpg
Filename
File size
777.44 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 102 of 112, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
a_h_adl wrote on 2022-11-09, 02:27:

I simply using an arduino nano or just an ATMega328 plus one of those 0.36" 7-Segment Display TM1637. Fits perfectly and way cheaper. Plus you can program it to your own taste. Mine is scrolling and glowing up at start for example.

Feel free to post up the pics, schematic for how you have it hooked up to the turbo switching / LED, and the code. 😀

My Github

Reply 103 of 112, by Raynex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2022-11-09, 02:31:

Feel free to post up the pics, schematic for how you have it hooked up to the turbo switching / LED, and the code. 😀

What he said. 🤣. Was about to reply the same.
Has anyone created a 3D printed drive bay cover for one of these? If not, I might design one depending on which LED display works best on potential systems. It's been hard finding a decent retro case with the Turbo display as of late.

Reply 104 of 112, by Raynex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2022-11-09, 02:28:

I have the 2-digit in my 3D printed case.

How in the world is that 3D Printed? I can only confirm it is from the marker on the lettering. Did you sand like your hands were about to fall off before priming and painting it? That is beautiful and something I've never considered. Have a link to the design (assuming it's open to the public).

Reply 106 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK now you need to share this project..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 107 of 112, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-09, 06:33:

When I did that display about two years ago I never thought someone would like to know more about it so I haven't documented anything yet. But I'm pretty sure most of you have already figured it out what I have done. It's basically an I2C display using only 4 wires from arduino. You can find more about it from here:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/ryanchan … tutorial-ca8a93

I created a YouTube channel just for uploading a couple of videos of my two cases which I have already installed TM1637 on them. I personally prefer the original display but these two cases didn't have any so I went ahead and did them on a Saturday afternoon. The installation and the programming is so basic. Here is a photo of one case and the inside as much as it lets me to show:

Case 02 Arduino Display.jpg
Filename
File size
157.61 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Case 01 Arduino Display 1.jpg
Filename
File size
134.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Case 01 Arduino Display 2.jpg
Filename
File size
119.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And the videos:

https://youtu.be/Aa9yrToP6V0
https://youtu.be/8yAOuXALf_o

The first PC is a Pentium 233 and the second one is a K6-III+ 550 so none of them uses the turbo mode so it hasn't been implemented. I will make a third one when I have some time in a couple of days showing wirings and also including the turbo switch functioning.

Reply 108 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is that an Arduino Nano?

I'm certainly interested in learning more about and reproducing a few of this thing 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 109 of 112, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's essentially the same thing as using an ATTiny85 as I have made. Just a larger footprint with extra I/O.

As far as cost to produce them in sets of 10, it would cost more to go the Arduino Nano + LED display + i/o board route. As for a 1-off build, it may be cheaper if everything was sourced from Aliexpress. But, you can get smaller/cheaper arduino devices to accomplish the same task, such as the Digispark or Pro Mini.

Last edited by wiretap on 2022-11-10, 22:52. Edited 1 time in total.

My Github

Reply 110 of 112, by a_h_adl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2022-11-10, 22:38:

It's essentially the same thing as using an ATTiny85 as I have made. Just a larger footprint with extra I/O.

Agree, Only doesn't need PCB and the ATMega328 itself can be even smaller. I just went the easy route and it is less than 10 bucks in total. I personally prefer nicer jobs like what you have done.

The last couple of days made me thinking to use the turbo push button in a bit more comprehensive way, something like a gesture button so for example pushing it 3 times a second activates other actions and uses other I/O pins, something like HDD Clicker or any other actions you might control with I/O pins. As they are fully compatible with the motherboard signals it will be a piece of cake.

Reply 111 of 112, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If some was to go the cheap route, I'd suggest the Pro Mini or Digispark + whatever LED display, then just solder it to a perfboard. It would probably be around $5-6. My project is $10.42 to build, ordering from Mouser with a quantity of 1.

mouser.PNG
Filename
mouser.PNG
File size
1.46 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My Github

Reply 112 of 112, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
a_h_adl wrote on 2022-11-09, 09:55:
When I did that display about two years ago I never thought someone would like to know more about it so I haven't documented any […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2022-11-09, 06:33:

When I did that display about two years ago I never thought someone would like to know more about it so I haven't documented anything yet. But I'm pretty sure most of you have already figured it out what I have done. It's basically an I2C display using only 4 wires from arduino. You can find more about it from here:

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/ryanchan … tutorial-ca8a93

I created a YouTube channel just for uploading a couple of videos of my two cases which I have already installed TM1637 on them. I personally prefer the original display but these two cases didn't have any so I went ahead and did them on a Saturday afternoon. The installation and the programming is so basic. Here is a photo of one case and the inside as much as it lets me to show:

And the videos:

https://youtu.be/Aa9yrToP6V0
https://youtu.be/8yAOuXALf_o

The first PC is a Pentium 233 and the second one is a K6-III+ 550 so none of them uses the turbo mode so it hasn't been implemented. I will make a third one when I have some time in a couple of days showing wirings and also including the turbo switch functioning.

Oh wow, very very nice!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)