VOGONS

First post, by Xray1281

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Earlier today I asked about what was the best motherboard from 1999. Or from the 90’s at all honestly. I was given some amazing suggestions but I had a few other questions.

Basically my goal is to build the best gaming computer from the 90s. Parts from 1990-1999 are eligible.
I currently have a GeForce 256 ddr model: CT6970
Pentium 3 SL3VM 733 MHz
Two quantum fireball CX 20.4 GB hard drives
One IBM DPTA-373420 34.2GB hard drive
A sound blaster live platinum
A 40x disc drive
A 5.25 floppy drive and two 3.5 floppy drives
I even have 6 Roland ma-12C’s if it’s possible to use them for a surround sound set up.
I don’t know what motherboard would be best but I was given a few to look into. I’m not sure if all these parts can be used together or not.
If anyone has any suggestions on parts to change or add please let me know. I am also looking for a good case from the 90s to put these parts in. And if you think you know which mother board would fit best with what I have or how to go about the surround sound (if possible with this Tec) please leave a suggestion.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and give advice! I’m new to all this but have enjoyed every step. 😀

Reply 2 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
r00tb33r wrote:

EMU10K eww...

Why? It is a perfectly fine sound card. Sure Audigy 2 is better, but nothing really wrong with a Live!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 8, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

EMU10K eww...

Why? It is a perfectly fine sound card. Sure Audigy 2 is better, but nothing really wrong with a Live!

Output is mixed at 48KHz, and aliased sampling rate conversion from 44.1KHz to 48KHz sounds really squeaky and rough. Listening to CD-quality music through it makes ears bleed.

Linux drivers are good, but you won't want to hear it anyways.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh Audigy range is better but came out after the 1999 deadline set for this build. In which case the Live! is your best choice.
Aureal Vortex 2 is the main alternative but they go for double the price.

Any motherboard will only support 2 floppy drives max. If you really need a 3rd you'll need to mess around with adding another floppy controller card.

Apart from that if your going with a BX motherboard you'll be fine with rest of the hardware.
I seem to remember the Live not liking certain non Intel chipset's but cant remember which exact ones.

The non 5.1 Live has 2 audio outs for the for and rear speakers, so plug the speakers in and setup the rest in the drivers. I'm not sure if its true surround but you hear noise behind at least.
The 5.1 Live uses the standard 3 audio outs for front, rear, sub.

Reply 6 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote:
chinny22 wrote:

Aureal Vortex 2 is the main alternative but they go for double the price.

double? more like 10-20 times the price 😵

yeh was speaking in general terms as I can't keep up with their pricing!

Reply 7 of 8, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xray1281 wrote:
Earlier today I asked about what was the best motherboard from 1999. Or from the 90’s at all honestly. I was given some amazing […]
Show full quote

Earlier today I asked about what was the best motherboard from 1999. Or from the 90’s at all honestly. I was given some amazing suggestions but I had a few other questions.
8><CUT
I don’t know what motherboard would be best but I was given a few to look into. I’m not sure if all these parts can be used together or not.
8><CUT

As you have a socket 370 processor you can skip all the earlier info that refers to Slot 1 motherboards. My guess is that the best way to go forward is checking which motherboards are available and eventually decide on which to choose based on your specific requirements. Attached a link to a site with a long (although not complete) list of socket 370 motherboards.
http://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_S … 70_motherboards