VOGONS

First post, by that1crzywhtguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The super short version is if I can continue using this device, I will. If not, I can just buy a new clock and an 8088 and return the computer to stock. I need info or a manual on the Fast88.

The long version:

As of yesterday, I am the proud owner of an IBM 5150!

I'm very excited about this, even though I have a million things to do before I can fully get it up and running (I have no other computers with 5.25 drives, and I own no 5.25 floppies. Gonna have to figure out how to get dos and an ISA ethernet card up and running, then file transfer should be easy enough).

I cracked it open and had a look at the cards in it. Clearly this thing was fairly well upgraded. For example, it has a MEMO576 Ram Card, a 35mb hard drive, and this, the purpose of this post, Microspeed Fast88.

I'm wondering if anybody has any info about this device at all. I've scoured the web, and have some info but there is some necessary info missing.

Info I have:
To use the device, the 8088 is replaced with an 8088-2 (this was done).
To use the device, the 8284 clock is removed to accommodate a ribbon coming from the Fast88

Info I can't find:
This came with an apparently detail and great manual, but I can't find it anywhere. There are jumpers on the board that you can use to set speed, but they aren't labeled on the PCB. If I can set the jumpers to 4.7, I'd probably just keep it there.

It says there was an external switch box. I'm assuming it plugs into the connector that looks like a phone cord. Is it useless without this? If so, I'll huck it I guess (I don't have the external box).

Thanks in advance for any info!

Reply 2 of 3, by that1crzywhtguy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rmay635703 wrote:

I saw that (and many other mentions in magazines) but it doesn't provide any actual instructions or helpful use info.