VOGONS

Reply 20 of 48, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My english is not good enough to explain correctly.
You said "it's better to measure voltage VCCcore on this choke" and i don't know if this is the MOFSET near this choke i need to test ?

Sorry for my poor english and electronic knowledge 😒 😀

Reply 21 of 48, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

parhelia512, no problem. I drew some arrows on the MB picture. It will help I suppose. Now you can measure voltage using voltmeter (DC mode, max 20V).
The black probe - GND, the red probe - the arrow. The MB should be turned on.
If there is difference in measurement on different stage of start (I mean the 4s delay) then write this.
ms6168-tp1.jpg

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 22 of 48, by parhelia512

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all !

Hi made some measurements :

1575753896-6168.png

I've tested the BIOS and it is good (tested on another MSI BX AMI BIOS Board).
I've tried to find "hot spots" but without success (Northbridge and Voodoo chip seem to be hotter than the rest of the board).

I maybe found some scratched tracks at the top rear of the board.

No more idea 😒

Reply 23 of 48, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

parhelia512, MOSFET has 3pin. Your circles don't clarify what pin exactly gives the value

Reply 25 of 48, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The black probe - is ok. Now I understand.
parhelia512, have you seen my picture with red arrows pointing where to measure voltage on the mainboard with the red probe ?
MSI MS-6168 ... is a rebirth possible ?
3.4V is input voltage for the regulator. Measurement of output voltage is more important (Source of MOSFET, see the red arrow)
Don't forget PCI slot the reset pin.

Reply 27 of 48, by arteq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
parhelia512 wrote on 2019-12-09, 20:52:
Oh yes !!! Sorry, i'm a bad pupil ! […]
Show full quote

Oh yes !!! Sorry, i'm a bad pupil !

😒 have to wait the weekend again to do measurement.
I have a PCI diagnostic card on way too, maybe it will help ?

Thanks Roman555 !

did you manage to get mobo working ?

Some items for sale 😀
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YNG8R … dit?usp=sharing

Reply 29 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone.
I'm a bit off topic here, but i'm also currently trying to fix a MSI-6168 ver.2.
One of the problems, is a missing SMD Capacitor next to the "Conexant" chip near the top of the board

missing SMD Cap.jpg
Filename
missing SMD Cap.jpg
File size
792.07 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I have a donor board, but it doesn't have that zone populated from the factory.
Now, i know that that's probably a modem chip, and it's not essential to the functionality of my board; but i would like to make it 100% complete.

So my request is:
Can anyone PLEASE provide some very clear images, with very good lighting; so i can compare where else on the board there's an identical SMD capacitor.. ??
I need to be able to distinguish between different shades of brown, and minuscule differences in the shapes of the corners & contacts & such.. between that cap, and possibly another identical one on the board.
The pictures posted by parhelia512 are pretty good, but there's not enough light to be able to accurately distinguish shades of color.

(I have done this before with good results; as manufacturers actually reuse the same smd caps on more places on the same board. )

Please someone help! 😟

P.S.
if possible, please attach the pictures in an archive, as the forum actually resizes them to a lower resolution.

Reply 31 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-27, 15:08:

Now, i know that that's probably a modem chip, and it's not essential to the functionality of my board; but i would like to make it 100% complete.

That's the chip responsible for composite or SVHS YC video output. and the missing cap looks like just another decoupling cap.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 32 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was really hoping that the CAP after the resistors (the one that's missing, in my case) was exactly like the one before the resistors [as that would have helped me locate another identical one on my board]. But in this picture (thank you flupke11) it seems that the first one is a bit wider, and the metal contacts on it are thinner 🙁 .. (can you please confirm this flupke11? or provide a better picture as soon as you can?)
If this is true, then what I need are: Either a few VERY good pictures of different zones of the board (including the CAP in question).... Either for someone patient enough to inspect their own board with a magnifying glass, and locate another one just like it... and kindly show me where it's located 🙁

Now, regarding the function of the Conexant chip; does this board need a header for the composite output? Cause mine doesn't have any video output at the back, except the VGA connector.

P.S.
Oh, and if this wasn't sucky enough; i have to return the donor board within a few days, as it was only lent to me for the purpose of bring mine back to life...
So fast help would be GREATLY appreciated! Please!!

Reply 33 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-27, 22:35:
I was really hoping that the CAP after the resistors (the one that's missing, in my case) was exactly like the one before the re […]
Show full quote

I was really hoping that the CAP after the resistors (the one that's missing, in my case) was exactly like the one before the resistors [as that would have helped me locate another identical one on my board]. But in this picture (thank you flupke11) it seems that the first one is a bit wider, and the metal contacts on it are thinner 🙁 .. (can you please confirm this flupke11? or provide a better picture as soon as you can?)
If this is true, then what I need are: Either a few VERY good pictures of different zones of the board (including the CAP in question).... Either for someone patient enough to inspect their own board with a magnifying glass, and locate another one just like it... and kindly show me where it's located 🙁

Now, regarding the function of the Conexant chip; does this board need a header for the composite output? Cause mine doesn't have any video output at the back, except the VGA connector.

P.S.
Oh, and if this wasn't sucky enough; i have to return the donor board within a few days, as it was only lent to me for the purpose of bring mine back to life...
So fast help would be GREATLY appreciated! Please!!

It's just a decoupling cap with direct connection to ground and the voltage regulator right next to broadcom chip. no idea what voltage it is. probably low.
It's a lighter shade of brown. I tried measuring onboard, but didn't get a meaningful result on the cap you're missing, the other one, gave me either 22µF or 10nF depending on the probe orientation.
the cap that is still present on your board is attached to ground and 12v, ie decoupling cap for the fan.
http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/5890 will lead you to the manual, which also contains the pinout for J17, which is the composite & Y/C SVHS output connector.

edit: The board I have came from a packard bell computer.
though there are 2 usb ports on the backside, the backplate only shows one. the other one is route to a pinheader on the motherboard, which allows it to be routed to the front of the board. FYI, the board only has 2 usb ports, not three as one might assume. J16 determines which port is usable.

edit2: if your board isn't working right now, I'm highly doubtful it would be due to that one missing capacitor.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 34 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 10:39:

It's just a decoupling cap with direct connection to ground and the voltage regulator right next to broadcom chip.

You mean "Conexant"chip, right?

Yes, sadly, in-circuit capacitance measurements, are vary rarely accurate 🙁..
So the cap is a decoupling CAP, for the input of the voltage regulator? or for the output(like in between the regulator and the chip)?
Were/are you able to identify another CAP anywhere else on the board, that looks identical to the one that is broken on mine???

My board is also from a Packard Bell. And has black connectors at the back, not colored, AMI bios (not AWARD), and has JFP jumper array missing from factory.. (but i doubt that makes any difference).
Thank you for the very good info regarding the USBs and pins and such! I would have for sure presumed that there's a broken USB connector : ))

Anyway, yesterday I finished transplanted everything else that was broken off, and the board POSTs fine. (Don't have an OS installed tho.. But i hope to finish all testing by the end of the week.)
But I would really like to also repair/restore it to 100%, especially as I have this donor board, and things could be very easy if i just manage to identify the right component.

Reply 35 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-28, 12:20:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 10:39:

It's just a decoupling cap with direct connection to ground and the voltage regulator right next to broadcom chip.

You mean "Conexant"chip, right?

yes, conexant, broadcom, meh. They're the same these days.

Yes, sadly, in-circuit capacitance measurements, are vary rarely accurate 🙁..
So the cap is a decoupling CAP, for the input of the voltage regulator? or for the output(like in between the regulator and the chip)?

probably the output, though more likely, just there for the chip itself, since it's right next to the chip.

Were/are you able to identify another CAP anywhere else on the board, that looks identical to the one that is broken on mine???

I got no idea were there might be a similar one. And since it's a tiny decoupling cap, right next to a chip you'll likely not be using, I wouldn't give it too much thought.

My board is also from a Packard Bell. And has black connectors at the back, not colored, AMI bios (not AWARD), and has JFP jumper array missing from factory.. (but i doubt that makes any difference).
Thank you for the very good info regarding the USBs and pins and such! I would have for sure presumed that there's a broken USB connector : ))

According to the manual, J16 decides between two back ports or one back and one front.

Anyway, yesterday I finished transplanted everything else that was broken off, and the board POSTs fine. (Don't have an OS installed tho.. But i hope to finish all testing by the end of the week.)
But I would really like to also repair/restore it to 100%, especially as I have this donor board, and things could be very easy if i just manage to identify the right component.

Well, I had to change the cpu voltage capacitors on mine. Symptoms were no boot and, bootup for a while and then shutoff. So if your board has been heavily used before, and you haven't changed those, then you'll run into those problems sooner or later.

And for the missing capacitor... according to the datasheet of the Bt869, it's either a 0.1µF ceramic, or a 47µF ceramic. It's even listed what part number to use. Table 3-1

Do not ask Why !

Reply 36 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the donor board has ALL of it's caps bloated, so i'm expecting mine to suffer the same fate... :- /

I have a lot of boxes with junk *ahem!* priceless vintage hardware, that i bought over time from recycling centers, that i need to check & fix.. and i hoped for a quick & easy job by sourcing this donor board.
Every time I start working on a board/card, i like to restore all of it's functionality as best as possible, so it wouldn't bite me later on when i'm gonna do God know what with it..

I think most likely it's 0.1µF, not 47µF, judging by the size.. But I will take a look a the datasheet and start doing some measurements on the board...
I was really dreading getting to this point, and waste more time, and always pay a lot for shipping on dirt-cheap parts 😒

I have a few old TV-tuners with Conexant chips on them.. Maybe i'll strike gold, and one of 'em has this chip, with this exact capacitor laid out next to it. So it could be the easy fix that I'm hoping for : )

Reply 37 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
B24Fox wrote on 2021-04-28, 16:09:

I have a few old TV-tuners with Conexant chips on them.. Maybe i'll strike gold, and one of 'em has this chip, with this exact capacitor laid out next to it. So it could be the easy fix that I'm hoping for : )

Considering most tv tuner cards do not give you a SVHS and/or composite output, they will not have that chip.
And even if they have an SVHS and/or composite output, they will not have that chip, they'll have a simple video buffer opamp chip.
You'll have more chance of finding a chip like this on a vga card that has svhs/composite output... though chances are that the chip will be a different brand/manufacturer.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 38 of 48, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on a side note...
I meant brooktree (from the Bt chipsets)
which got bought by Rockwell,
which changed its name to Conexant,
which got bought by synaptics, not broadcom

Do not ask Why !

Reply 39 of 48, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 16:55:
on a side note... I meant brooktree (from the Bt chipsets) which got bought by Rockwell, which changed its name to Conexant, […]
Show full quote

on a side note...
I meant brooktree (from the Bt chipsets)
which got bought by Rockwell,
which changed its name to Conexant,
which got bought by synaptics, not broadcom

I only asked to make sure we were both referring to the same chip : ) But wow!! 😳

weedeewee wrote on 2021-04-28, 16:23:

Considering most tv tuner cards do not give you a SVHS and/or composite output, they will not have that chip.
And even if they have an SVHS and/or composite output, they will not have that chip, they'll have a simple video buffer opamp chip.
You'll have more chance of finding a chip like this on a vga card that has svhs/composite output... though chances are that the chip will be a different brand/manufacturer.

🙁 I'll see what i can find..