Voodoo 3 "baking"?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Con 2 botones wrote:
1. Corruption does not happen in BIOS, so far. I think I haven´t tried real DOS Mode, will try and report back. 2. That´s a very […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
Some questions: […]
Show full quote

Some questions:

1. Are there corruptions in BIOS or in real DOS mode, ie. without loading any Windows drivers?
2. Have you tried booting something like a live linux distro such as Puppy Linux 4.1.2 Retro to see if that works fine?
3. Is this a clean Windows install or was there a different graphics card in there before?

1. Corruption does not happen in BIOS, so far. I think I haven´t tried real DOS Mode, will try and report back.
2. That´s a very good idea!
3. The latter, other cards have been tested in the system (Ati Rage 128, for instance). Point 2 test will tell us if it is a driver issue or not.

Thank you!

Definitely try #2 and if that works fine then do a clean install of the OS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 23, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It´s gone...

- I tried pure DOS gaming and although it shows much less artifacting than in Windows, it also happens:

corrupci-n5.jpg

corrupcion6.jpg

corrupcion7.jpg

- I tried booting a linux distro (Knoppix 3.6) and it showed corruption in the splash screen (for some reason it wouldn´t boot to desktop, but for the purpose it already showed me what I needed).

- I went for a clean install of W98SE and it was already showing signs of corruption during the installation process, which become more evident once at desktop (without installing any drivers):

corrupci-n4.jpg

corrupcion.jpg

corrupci-n.jpg

Ok, do I have to let it go or is there a last resource measure that can be tried to revive it?
Is there anybody willing to sell or trade one?

Reply 22 of 23, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This could very well be memory problem, even though in my experience with bad memory you see artefacts in one constant place. As I have destroyed two V3s in an attempt to fix them, I have to warn you they are rather fragile. I would try to fix them only with enough experience and proper equipment.

One thing you could try is to resolder pins on memory modules. Just reheat them, nothing complicated.

Reply 23 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, It could be a ram chip problem ?
You can use a heat gun and pour some no-clean flux on the ram chip legs and then reflow ( heat ) with heat gun the legs and just let the flux do the work of repairing the solder joints.
Or you can use a solder iron and some solder and flux. Just pour some flux on the ram chip legs and then drag solder the legs with solder. Use a solder wick to cleanup excessive flux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sfggumc-Tc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgcupYOnvBo