VOGONS

First post, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dear Vogons,

i have now owned this machine (Victor V286P) for a couple of years. Everything functions well (except for the bios battery, but i'll come to this later....).

Some odd 34 years ago, i actually did my "work experience program" (when i was 14 years old) with this company and i still have fond memories of playing "snake" and Leisure suit Larry while doing that 😁

anyway, many years later i got my hands on this machine:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/omPymUcSPd1ikZPX6

Googling this machine does not really give that much information back, but apparently Kyocera produced these machines for Victor (or Sirius as the were known from the start). I've also found people claiming this to be a Toshiba T3100/3200 basically. Question is: what is it?

There are some minor issues with it:

When activating the backlight on it, there are some "stripes" coming from the top. I guess its about high time for a screen recap.

But my major concern is how on earth i would go about opening this unit up? I made some attempts earlier but could not really take the lid of (i remove all the screws underneath and tried to carefully "pull" the lid, but there seems to be something holding it stuck. Scary since plastic this old can be quite brittle.

Basically, i would like to take care of two things: exchanging the bios battery on it (so i don't need to enter setup every time and choose the "type 1" hdd option (i installed AnyDrive on it earlier so that the HDD would be detected) and i would also like to open the screen casing up to recap it properly (those "stripes")

Attachments

Last edited by my03 on 2019-11-30, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 17, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

rest of images here

Attachments

Reply 3 of 17, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some say it is a Toshiba T3100 clone, you can find manuals for T3100 by googling. the maintenance manual may tell how to open the case fully.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 17, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if it is an attempt at a clone of the T3100, it's definitely not assembled the same way (The T3100 does not have a 16-bit ISA slot, as this system does). A closer analogy might be a Toshiba T3200, which DOES have an ISA slot (two, actually). But, the construction would still be different between them because the T3200 is physically larger/wider than this Victor system (The T3200 is wide enough to have a numeric keypad in addition to the main keyboard). Unfortunately, the Toshiba service manuals would likely be of no help with disassembling this one. My guess would be they were trying to copy at most the form factor, with no regards to the internals.

Reply 5 of 17, by Hornsk001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello my03,

With the Victor you have to carefully remove the cover on the lower screen with a screwdriver. There are several screws underneath. Then pull out both plugs. Then you can take off the arm. Only then can you remove the housing. I see you have a newer version of the Bios Low and Hi. than from my Victor. Do you have a possibility to create a dump of the two Eproms and send it to me? That would be nice. Since unfortunately you can't find anything about the Victor on the internet. Mine works great too.

Best regards Hornsk

Reply 6 of 17, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey Hornsk001, thanks for the advice. I did manage to open it to some extent, enough to reach the bios-batteries that i wanted to replace. While i did put a "Saft" battery in there, it still complains that it can't remember the settings so i will re-wire the battery quite soon (with fresh cabling).

Unfortunately, i dont have an eprom reader available (but this is something that i have a need for anyway so i probably will try to acquire one). If you can wait for a short while, i will probably get hold of something that can dump out the contents of these 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by Hornsk001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey My03,
Yes that would help me a lot, because your EPROM is the latest for the V286P, I have a feeling we are the only two who take care of the Victor V286P. I just removed the old battery and put in a CR2032. Since then, the memory works. Thank you very much for helping me.

Reply 13 of 17, by Hornsk001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
my03 wrote on 2021-05-11, 18:55:

Hornsk001, you got PM 😀

hello my03,

unfortunately the newer version of your eprom does not work in my v286p. I suspect yours already has vga. mine only has cga. my v286p works with your eprom but without any output on the screen. Does your external screen socket have 15 pins or 9?

Best regards Daniel

Reply 14 of 17, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Hornsk001 wrote on 2021-08-12, 19:13:
hello my03, […]
Show full quote
my03 wrote on 2021-05-11, 18:55:

Hornsk001, you got PM 😀

hello my03,

unfortunately the newer version of your eprom does not work in my v286p. I suspect yours already has vga. mine only has cga. my v286p works with your eprom but without any output on the screen. Does your external screen socket have 15 pins or 9?

Best regards Daniel

Hi,

i checked and 0n my unit i have the vga connector (15-pin).

br

Reply 15 of 17, by xmamat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have the CGA version and just bought the VGA version on eBay (shipping ongoing).

The CGA version powers on but usually doesn't display anything on screen (both on the plasma internal monitor and on an external one). On very rare occasion I made it display the setup screen (see photo) but with scrambled characters on the date. It's not possible to input a correct date and when I confirm, the computer freezes and doesn't display anything after a cold restart.
I suspect a corrupted BIOS to be the culprit.

@Hornsk001 would it be possible to post in this thread your BIOS dump? I can post the VGA version one when I receive the machine.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3176.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_3176.JPG
    File size
    97.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 17, by my03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xmamat wrote on 2022-11-04, 14:09:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I have the CGA version and just bought the VGA version on eBay (shipping ongoing).

The CGA version powers on but usually doesn't display anything on screen (both on the plasma internal monitor and on an external one). On very rare occasion I made it display the setup screen (see photo) but with scrambled characters on the date. It's not possible to input a correct date and when I confirm, the computer freezes and doesn't display anything after a cold restart.
I suspect a corrupted BIOS to be the culprit.

@Hornsk001 would it be possible to post in this thread your BIOS dump? I can post the VGA version one when I receive the machine.

Cheers.

hey xmamat,

if you have anything later than 2.06 (VGA bios), then please give us a shout here also 😀

btw, with these now ancient harddrives failing (i have two V286p and one of them has a completely dead HDD), are there any options that connects natively (HDD interface) or is it "just" the xt-ide option that is out there?

Reply 17 of 17, by xmamat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My VGA V286P finally arrived. It has the same VER2.06P BIOS as yours.

Regarding the HDD replacement, I haven't opened the machine yet but it says here it's 3.5 inches RLL ST-506 drive: pretty difficult to find, especially in working condition. So I guess the best solution is indeed XT-IDE based, or with a bootable SCSI ISA adapter such as Adaptec AHA-1542 if you can manage to pass the 50-pin ribbon cable inside the case.

Attachments

• IMG_5703.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5703.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain