VOGONS

First post, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there are usually 3 proprietary interfaces: creative/panasonic, sony, and mitsumi. is it possible for any of them to work with a generic ide cdrom?(sony is unlikely as its 34pin.)

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No they are all proprietary on the SB16 MCD versions. There are many SB16 with IDE and one came with SCSI.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

No they are all proprietary on the SB16 MCD versions. There are many SB16 with IDE and one came with SCSI.

but they are mostly prone to the hanging note bug, which can be very annoying in playing games.
so there are only a few models with a generic ide cdrom port, while less prone to the hanging note bug(those with a ct1747 interface chip):
sb16 ct2290
sb32 ct3670
awe32 ct3900/ct3980
awe64 ct4380
also i want daughterboard connector and i hate pnp cards in dos, so only ct2290 and ct3900 are left.

Reply 3 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use the SB card you have and disable the cdrom interfaces, then use a secondary IDE with a good cdrom. I have a CT1740 with DSP v4.05 and a Matsu/Pana cd interface but use my secondary IDE port for the cdrom.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 6, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote:

Use the SB card you have and disable the cdrom interfaces, then use a secondary IDE with a good cdrom. I have a CT1740 with DSP v4.05 and a Matsu/Pana cd interface but use my secondary IDE port for the cdrom.

i never cared about soundcard cdrom interfaces before, but found it important on 386 machine: its supported hdd drives are too small, so i need to connect 2*500mb harddrives on the ide card, and cdrom on the soundcard.

Reply 5 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
noshutdown wrote:
Horun wrote:

i never cared about soundcard cdrom interfaces before, but found it important on 386 machine: its supported hdd drives are too small, so i need to connect 2*500mb harddrives on the ide card, and cdrom on the soundcard.

Ahh but with the right controller you could slave the cdrom to one of the HD. Also the CT3930 (a bit rare) is a SB32 jumperset with IDE and does have the Yamaha OPL3 chip, if you ever find one NEVER get rid of it ;p

Reply 6 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had similar problem my solutions were, Not exactly what your asking but may still be of help?

Get the machine networked and install from here. Not many games from this era require CD for game play.
Use a removable 2nd HDD and swap out as needed. eg HDD1 has 3d shooters, HDD2 Racing, etc. SD or CF cards that mount on a bracket are great for this.
If you have multiple of the same HDD's you dont even need to change anything in BIOS

Of course you can always swap out the SB for another sound card that does has IDE, but I wanted to keep the original creative card as well.