VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to install Windows XP on my current rig. To avoid any fuss or muss with partitions, dual boots I have a total separate SSD drive for my XP installation. However, after booting from the disc and it loading the various files/drivers the Windows Start-Up gives me the blue screen below before it can get into any installation/format drive options -- this is a genuine Windows XP Professional (32 bit) disc.

My system is an ASUS X79 Deluxe, 4820k i7 Ivy-E Bridge with 8 x 8GB DDR3 RAM and a Titan Black. I realize this is overkill for XP and that it can't utilize 64GBs of RAM, either but Ivy-E is supposed to be compatible and I see no reason to have another tower on my desk for XP gaming when I can install XP on here. Any ideas? Perhaps I need to turn off some features in BIOS?

UVCCwdJ.jpg

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum, mate. This is for "Discussion about old PC hardware."

Anyway, WinXP has no drivers for the storage controller (0x7B is INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE). Go to the Asus website, download the SATA drivers for XP and extract them to a medium that XP can read at this stage. During setup, add the drivers when it asks you if you have additional ones to install. You can also create your own XP install disc with the drivers included.

Reply 2 of 3, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can also slipstream SATA textmode drivers into the setup with nLite and burn a CD / make an ISO / usb drive out of it.

Look for the name of the SATA controller. Maybe Asus already has textmode drivers.
If they don't, you might find them here:
https://www.win-raid.com/t22f45-Guide-Integra … W-k-W-k-CD.html

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 3 of 3, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are SATA drivers (literally the only drivers that show up for XP) on the ASUS Support page for this motherboard so I can use those. I was able to get past this bluescreen by changing my SATA settings. The issue was that since my Windows 7 set up is two 256SSDs in RAID I needed to have SATA set to RAID. For now, setting it to IDE allowed me to get to the install screen but while it saw my 256 SSDs it did not see my 500GB Corsair drive -- which isn't showing up in my BIOS but shows up in My Computer and in the boot menu.

Thanks for the tip with 0x7B.

Edit: I was able to do a very easy, no fuss install by just unplugging all of my other drives except the one I wanted to install XP on -- this let me get it so that that drive is C: when I'm in XP but is the F: drive when I'm on my Windows 7 drive/boot.