Retro gaming on eMac ?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Confirming what derSammler said.

I test DOSBox on a 400 MHz PowerMac, and use its USB 1.1 and onboard 100Mbit Ethernet for playing DOS games. I run games directly on the USB stick or directly across the network, because it's even less work for me than bothering with copying.

(USB 1.1 moves 1.5 MB/s, or equivalent to an 8x CDROM, and at lower latency than any storage media available in the mid and early 90s. Likewise 100Mbit/s Ethernet comes close to 12MB/s and also low-latency, assuming modern hardware on the serving-side).

On your 700 MHz PPC, DOSBox should run at roughly 7500 fixed cycles, which is roughly equivalent to a 386 33 MHz, which should satisfy most early 90s games and less demanding newer ones.

Above performance estimate is with jmarsh's excellent PPC dynrec patch. I'm not sure if it's already in SVN or not, but Dominus has an OS X build with it included here: Re: PowerPC Dynamic Recompiler (patch)

Reply 21 of 23, by mr_space

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Late to the party but my "gaming rig" is a 1.25ghz eMac, gret forDosBox, Scummvm, Pimiga, C64, source ports etc... add a real MT32 to the mix and you have a dream machine to revisit 90's an early 2000's gaming.

Reply 23 of 23, by mr_space

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Error 0x7CF wrote on 2022-05-04, 12:40:

Have you tried the trick that lets you install OS9 despite it being unsupported?

http://macos9lives.com/smforum/index.php?topic=4361.0

Me? No success until now, I need a qwerty keyboard, messing with open firmware with a french keyboard is a bit too much for my brain! I have no option to install OS9 drivers when I run Tiger install.