VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this Creative Labs CT6710 NVidia Riva TNT that I'm using on a Windows 2000 box with an NEC display in 1600x1200 resolution and this card seems to display vertical bars in this mode despite the screen being super crisp. However, when I switch to any other mode (except 640x480) it doesn't seem to have this artefact but everything is slightly fuzzy since 1600x1200 is the optimal resolution for the display. In 640x480 the interference ins't vertical but diagonal.

Is there a way I can fix this card?

The card:

uOdO2Z6.jpg

The vertical interference on 1600x1200:

FUKL4vM.jpg

The diagonal interference on 640x480:

5RxdXp2.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CRT or LCD?
Does the problem go away when the monitor is on a different card?
I asked because I've seen LCDs do that and the card wasn't always the problem.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 10, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good questions.

PCBONEZ wrote:

CRT or LCD?

LCD.

PCBONEZ wrote:

Does the problem go away when the monitor is on a different card?

Yes. The display has no problems with other video adaptors. E.g. I when I connect it to my Thinkpad T41p it has no problems in 1600x1200 resolution.

Reply 4 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look here: Re: TNT with vsync disabled flickering

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 5 of 10, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Don't expect great picture quality from Riva TNT.

Actually. The picture quality is pretty good, apart from those vertical bars.

It seems like an old-age problem. Was wondering of some of the components could be replaced... Even if it's not worth it financially, it might be an interesting exercise in itself, I guess...

Reply 7 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote:

It seems like an old-age problem. Was wondering of some of the components could be replaced... Even if it's not worth it financially, it might be an interesting exercise in itself, I guess...

The first suspects are usually Al-Lytic capacitors followed by Tantalum caps. (Tantalum didn't used to happen often.)
I don't see either on that card unless those orange ones are Tantalum in an odd package.

I suppose the old crystal could be drifting off it's original frequency.

Have you tried different refresh rates?

Reply 9 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tantalum in an odd package.

That's tantalum in a "modern" package.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 10, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Tantalum in an odd package.

That's tantalum in a "modern" package.

I didn't even know that.
Never found a bad one of those so I've never had to look them up.
I keep seeing problems with the bead looking ones on early motherboards and a few years ago that almost never happened.