VOGONS

First post, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, in the past few months I have been dealing with a whole range of issues on my K6 SS7 system. The system resides in my parents' place, so I only get a couple of days a month on average to tinker with it, that's why things drag out for so long.

The system has Win98 SE installed; It has been rather stable in DOS, but under Windows I would experience: (a) random lockups, (b) some games flat out refusing to run complaining about corrupt files, (c) some games glitching out back to desktop after a while. In both (b) and (c) these are games that have worked before.

The board is a DFI K6XV3+/66, and the CPU has recently been upgraded from the K6-II that has been there from the start to a K6-2+. Thought maybe something is wrong with the CPU or there is a compatibility issue, but, nope - still the same problems after putting the old CPU back. Memory has also been tested and no errors found with Memtest86, but just in case, I took one DIMM out, reducing RAM from 256MB to 128MB - still glitches.

Started suspecting motherboard, since these frequently fail (it already seemingly has a bad ISA slot, 1 out of 3). Found a rare, reasonably priced AX59 Pro online, but that one came DOA (wouldn't POST with any combination of CPU, GPU and RAM). Seller refunded me and I got to keep the board - who knows - if I'm ever so desperate (not yet), I may try to revive it.

So back to the K6XV3+. I finally thought - hey, maybe it's the Windows installation that's corrupted. It's been there for ages (I think the current install is from 2007, judging by the file dates, and I can't remember all the patches installed, settings customized, etc.), so I've decided to give it a try with a fresh start. Just in case, I decided to take a snapshot using Acronis True Image, and that's when I noticed a few things previously overlooked.

First of all, a deep Scandisk on all drives found a bunch of cross-linked files and other file system errors. Strange that the default scan running after improper shutdowns never found them; maybe it's too superficial? I spent a few hours running surface scans and found no bad sectors (not bad for a IBM Deskstar from 2002, *knock-on-wood*). After all the scans and file system repairs were complete, Windows booted up and complained about corrupt system files which were restored from a recent backup. Sounds good? Well, partially.

Apparently the "recent backup" was almost as recent as the fresh install, as most drivers were lost, including the Voodoo 3000 driver. After reinstalling it, some issues went away (apparently cross-linked files can cause corruption even if you copy over the file, as it does not resolve the cross-link). Awesome, but the system still locks up every once in a while and complains about file access problems. Turned off DMA mode on the hard drive, just in case it is the issue, but for the love of God I could not restore Wifi functionality - drivers are installed, connection is working, but the TCP/IP stack seems broken is somehow and the adapter gets no IP. Well, screw that; it's time for that reinstall.

Completed the reinstall, and for whatever reason, I decided that the best thing to do next would be to install the Via IDE driver, so that DMA is enabled. Well, it was. Except then it started to complain that half the files and directories on the drive is corrupt. Scary stuff. In DOS everything works fine; in Windows Scandisk finds a bunch of errors (even after DMA is disabled). Apparently the driver is wrong or I did something wrong installing it. Fortunately I wasn't stupid enough to let Scandisk "repair" my drive and actually corrupt my files. Instead I decided to play it safe, take the drive out, connect to another PC, copy everything over, and the reinstall 98SE again. Conveniently, the Pentium 4 desktop was within reach. But the whole thing took so long, that I will have to wait until the next visit to complete the process, and next time I will properly install the Via 4-in-1 driver from Phil's site.

I think this hard drive had not left the case, since it was first installed 17 years ago, until yesterday:

HDTop.jpg
Filename
HDTop.jpg
File size
265.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Attached to the P4 system for the file transfer:

HDRun.jpg
Filename
HDRun.jpg
File size
173.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

(not bad for a IBM Deskstar from 2002, *knock-on-wood*

Well, it's not the infamous "DTLA" lineup.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I've had two more sessions with this computer and I'm beginning to suspect that the motherboard is flaky. There are frequent hangs out-of-the-blue (sometimes a few minutes after boot, sometimes several hours). No blue screen, just hung screen and nothing works except hard reset.

Also, it appears DMA mode on the hard drive is glitchy - with DMA enabled I start getting corrupt files every once in a while, programs refusing to start. This is with the proper Via driver from Phil's site (not the one I tried earlier which showed that "everything" was corrupt). I don't seem to recall such issues when I first installed this board.

Also can't get Wifi working with the card that it previously worked with. It connects to the access point, but frequently drops signal and cannot get a valid IP. The Ralink utility shows tons of packets arriving with CRC errors. This may be a bad card (I've tried several PCI slots) or yet another software issue. I will try wired LAN next time to narrow down the issues.

Oddly enough, in DOS, the system is almost perfectly stable, but I would enjoy having it for some Windows games as well.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 6, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-02-16, 21:09:
Well, I've had two more sessions with this computer and I'm beginning to suspect that the motherboard is flaky. There are freque […]
Show full quote

Well, I've had two more sessions with this computer and I'm beginning to suspect that the motherboard is flaky. There are frequent hangs out-of-the-blue (sometimes a few minutes after boot, sometimes several hours). No blue screen, just hung screen and nothing works except hard reset.

Also, it appears DMA mode on the hard drive is glitchy - with DMA enabled I start getting corrupt files every once in a while, programs refusing to start. This is with the proper Via driver from Phil's site (not the one I tried earlier which showed that "everything" was corrupt). I don't seem to recall such issues when I first installed this board.

Also can't get Wifi working with the card that it previously worked with. It connects to the access point, but frequently drops signal and cannot get a valid IP. The Ralink utility shows tons of packets arriving with CRC errors. This may be a bad card (I've tried several PCI slots) or yet another software issue. I will try wired LAN next time to narrow down the issues.

Oddly enough, in DOS, the system is almost perfectly stable, but I would enjoy having it for some Windows games as well.

Are you sure, that it is not your harddisk that is going downwards?
Does it have bad sectors?

EDIT: You wrote, that you already scanned the disk some time ago.
Nevertheless it is still suspicious.
Also you wrote it is ALMOST perfectly stable in DOS 😁 So you have problems in DOS, too?
If possible, try another harddisk.

Reply 5 of 6, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have another hard disk, and it does not have a single bad sector. Amazing, but it seems to be the only component of this 20-year old system that's in perfect health.

As far as problems in DOS - I don't recall the exact details at the moment, but some games sometimes crash (very rarely, though).

Looks like taking out the board and inspecting capacitors is next.