VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read that in the socket5 you can install the pentium 120 at most, why can't you install the pentium 200?

Reply 1 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not dependent on the socket, but on the mainboard. The Pentium 200 draws much more power and the VRM on the mainboard must be able to handle that. Also, you probably won't find any socket 5 mainboard that has jumper settings for a Pentium 200.

On socket 5, there's also just one pin to select the cpu/bus multiplier. Not sure how that would affect the Pentium 200, however.

Last edited by derSammler on 2019-12-09, 18:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 17, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socket 5 doesn't support some lower voltage either, that those higher end pentiums require. So you would need to find pentium 200MHz with voltage regulator on top of the cpu...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 17, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All P54C from 75 to 200 MHz are 3.3V single voltage... even socket 7 was still 3.3V single voltage originally, with split-voltage introduced later without giving the socket a new name.

Reply 4 of 17, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@derSammler, oh, thanks.

I remember, more than decade ago, when i tried to take a 166MHz cpu from socket 7 pc and put on motherboard with socket 5, the cpu even had few more pins so it didn't even fit into the socket 5... Maybe it was something else then?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 5 of 17, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The difference between socket 5 and 7 is straightforward ... on paper ... In reality there are socket 7 boards that seem just as capable as other socket 5 motherboards and meanwhile some socket 5 motherboards might support CPUs that are supposed to be "socket 7" CPUs.

Kind of like the difference between socket 2 and 3 where the socket 3 is supposed to have a 3.3v regulator but meanwhile many socket 3 motherboards don't have one (and some socket 2 motherboards have one)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 6 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can install Pentium 200. Although you need 3x multiplier support.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 8 of 17, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the board doesn't have 2.5x and 3.0x multiplier settings, you can always mod the CPU to get them. Other than that, a Pentium 200 should work the same as a Pentium 133.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 9 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bakemono wrote:

If the board doesn't have 2.5x and 3.0x multiplier settings, you can always mod the CPU to get them. Other than that, a Pentium 200 should work the same as a Pentium 133.

I had an old Socket 7 with split voltage and tried a 6x86L-166 and it wasn’t stable more than 5 minutes even after adding large heat syncs to the linear regulators.

Could fry an egg on them.

Reply 10 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's kind of surprising. 6x86L was supposed to be the low power version.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 11 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote:

I read that in the socket5 you can install the pentium 120 at most, why can't you install the pentium 200?

Locate the voltage regulator module on the motherboard. Find the part number, locate the specification sheet online. Determine the max sustainable amperage that the voltage regulator can supply. Find the spec. sheet for the Pentium 200 and determine how much current it draws. Compare the two and add a safety margin.

If you find that the VRM cannot handle the current of the new processor, very often you can replace the VRM with another unit with higher supply current, provided the pinouts are the same. For example, if your motherboard has an LT1085 (3 A), you can probably replace it with an LT1084 (5 A) or LT1083 (7.5 A).

Then you will likely need to add support for multipliers between 2.0 and 3.0x. I did this to my socket 5 board last week to get a K5 working at 2.0x. Post here: Modifying a socket 5 for multipliers of 2.0 - 3.5x (Asus PCI/I-P54TP4)

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-12-10, 07:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 12 of 17, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have this computer yet, I'm deciding whether to take it, the Pentium 75 has a huge appeal for me, but I wouldn't want to take a car too limited. I wish at least we could upgrade to Pentium 200

Reply 13 of 17, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are always the CPU upgrade interposers if the board you select ends up being not being suitable.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 17, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The type of socket is not important unless you want to use stock MMX chip. It all depends on the motherboard (see above) if supporting the multiplier, FSB setting and especially if can supply enough power.

If you want to push limits, overdrive CPUs are usually easier to work with, I am running this 200MHz MMX overdrive in my early Socket 5 motherboard. It is designed as upgrade option for old motherboards. So it has locked multiplier, built-in power convertor, fan, etc.

bhsWJn2.jpg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4