VOGONS

First post, by PewPew

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogonites!

I've been a longtime lurker and information vampire for a few successful retro builds - but I've finally hit a wall and need some help.

So, background.

I ran across my old CD library of games from the 90s and I've built a box for some classic 98se gaming from parts that I had laying around or scrounged on the cheap. Nostalgia, what a thing!

Specs:

FIC PA-2013 rev 2.1 1MB
K6-III+ @ 500MHz
256mb RAM (2x128MB) @ 100MHz
Promise Ultra133TX2 PCI IDE controller
64GB SanDisk Ultra 120MB/s CF + IDE adapter (Port 1 on Ultra133)
Sound card - undecided until the following issue is resolved.

Video Card - Here's the problem.

Option 1:

ATI FireGL X1-128 BIOS DeviceID/VendorID flashed to a 9700Pro. 6.2 catalyst drivers install... but games run like a poorly edited stop action film. I've tried just about everything to get it to run correctly without luck - including manually installing the VIA CPU to AGP controller from the v4.43 4-in-1 driver package. Tested and verified that the GPU works flawlessly under XP on an Abit NF7 board. Also noted that ATI SmartGART (ATI2S9AG.EXE) constantly crashes during O/S launch. So, I gave up on this one for...

Option 2:

ATI Radeon 8500 (64MB I believe) - I can't even get out of the gate with this one. I get the following issue that appears to be completely irreparable.

"This device cannot find any free Input/Output Range (I/O) resources to use (Code 12.)"

Under set configuration manually:

Memory Range 00000000-0FFFFFFF used by: Win9x-ME Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
Input/Output Range 0000-00FF used by: Programmable interrupt controller
Input/Output Range 0000-00FF used by: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard

Note that this is with 98se installed without ACPI. With ACPI the list of resource conflicts is about 4x as long. This card also works without issue on XP.

I've attempted to force AGP 1x on the BIOS to no effect. Attempted swapping the PCI slots that the IDE controller is sitting on to no effect.

At this point, I'm out of ideas outside of abandoning any attempt at running an ATI card in this system and picking up something like a GeForce2 ti/ultra or GeForce4 4x00.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Can't believe this silly problem is standing in the way of War of the Worlds, Warbreeds, and Warlords III!

Thank you in advance for any input!

-PewPew

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think there should be a disclaimer on vogons or a sticky somwhere, that cautions people using AGP cards and especially ATI agp cards on VIA VP3 chipsets. It would avoid a lot of heartache.

Let me tell you somthing the VIA MVP3 AGP implementation is trash. And a lot of cards don't work. Back in 2001 I had an ATI rage 128 I tried to use in a MVP3 board and I had to use a special driver from ATI so it didn't crash all of the time.

Thats why a lot of people recommend to just use a voodoo 3 in a MVP3 board as it doesn't have real AGP features so it wont cause problems.

Reply 2 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've a similar motherboard, similar build, and have been having similar issues. Soyo 5EMA+, K6-2+ 550 @ 600 MHz, 512 megs of RAM, Promise Ultra 100, 120 megabyte Teamgroup SSD. A friend gave me a 128 meg Radeon 9200 AGP after I had already ordered a Chinese FX5500 AGP from AliExpress. So I ran it with the Radeon, and had almost no issues other than needing to use an old enough driver ( http://www.mediafire.com/file/axme7jgrpaoejyt … _26397.exe/file ) .

When I got the FX5500, I had the resource conflict issues. I disabled the serial ports, parallel port, and the unused IDE port in the BIOS settings. I also had to disable the unused IDE port in device manager. I had to use a pretty old Nvidia driver, and force install it as an FX5200. After all of that, the 3D Mark 2000 and 2001 scores were no better than they were with the 9200, so I put it back in.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also have a Biostar MB-8500TTD with a K6-2+ 533 @500 with a 128 meg PCI Radeon 9250, and the difference in performance between the two systems in 3D Mark is negligible. I haven't had a single resource conflict issue with the Biostar board.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey