capacitor.jpg
Filename
capacitor.jpg
File size
55.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I need to replace a bad capacitor of an AWE32.
I've successfully identified it as United Chemi-Con's SRG series ESRG160ETC101MF07D.
It has following characteristics:
6.3mm x 7mm / 100uF/ 16Vdc/ MaxT 85C/ Dissipation Factor 0.2 @ 120Hz (ESR 2.654)/ Ripple Current 110mA @ 120Hz.

Unfortunately, none of the big three (Digikey, Mouser, Arrow) carries it at the moment. They say leadtime is about 15 weeks.
Only chinese merchants take a quotation at this moment. So I spent some time and found two alternatives.

Panasonic EEU-HD1C101
5mm x 11mm / 100uF/ 16Vdc/ MaxT 105C/ Dissipation Factor 0.2 @ 120Hz (ESR 2.654)/ Ripple Current 110mA @ 120Hz.

Kemet ESS107M016AE2EA
6.3mm x 7mm/ 100uF/ 16Vdc/ MaxT 105C/ Dissipation Factor 0.17 @ 120Hz (ESR 2.256)/ Ripple Current 100mA @ 120Hz.

Judging by the spec, trusty brand, and fit, I am massively induced to pick up Kemet ESS107M016AE2EA, but I'm somewhat puzzled about what the lower ESR might do to the circuit, especially in long term.

Considering where the cap should be placed, I've had hard time to make a call. I mean I don't want to break a nice awe32 because of one capacitor.

What should I go with?

Reply 3 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brownk wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Get the Kemet, it will be fine.

Kemet must be even better than the original, right?

Knowing the cheap bastards Creative are anything on a decent reseller like Mouser will probably be better. I've used junk chinese caps to fix SB16/32 cards in the past and it had no discernable negative impact on sound quality.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is just a filtering capacitor , either will do fine don't think too much about this specific one

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 8, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For recapping of older cards such as that i keep on hand mostly the Panasonic branded Micro sized caps. The Kemet ones are good but in BULK! the Panasonic worked out better from element14 (Aust.).

As far as the way they work electrically they are identical for our purposes and better than most origionally installed.

Last edited by flakes on 2019-12-11, 23:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 8, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flakes wrote:

For recapping of older cards such as that i keep on hand mostly the Panasonic branded Micro sized caps. The Kemet ones are good but in bult the Panasonic worked out better from element14 (Aust.).

Care to elaborate a bit further on 'in bult' part?

I'm by no means an electrician, but I hear only the good things about Kemet though.

Btw, after looking through datasheets for sometime comparing bunch of JP caps with US ones, I noticed that most of general JP caps share same/similar characteristics such as DF, RC, LC, etc. Same goes to US ones.

That being said, if you're to point out compatibility part, I have zero amount of objection.

Reply 8 of 8, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

err typo!

In Bulk! 😀

THey work the same. Just depends on where you are in the world as to the bulk pricing. Use ether of them and you will be good!