VOGONS

386sx Setup and Build

Topic actions

First post, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

I have a new to me 386sx that I am starting to put together. This is my oldest system to date as the 286 never eventuated......
Why build a SX? Why not!

Parts so far are:
*WH386 Motherboard with AMD 33MHz SX https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/E … 6-WH-386SX.html
*Diamond Speedstar24 (Tseng ET4000 1MB) http://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/component … -tseng-et4000ax
*Generic Goldstar Prime 2 Controller https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy … -IDE-AT-32.html
*4 x 1MB Goldstar Sims (70Ns)
*Creative Vibra16 with Yamaha OPL
*not sure on fixed disk or case yet

I obtained the Motherboard with the 33MHz CPU and 16KB of cache. It works well and shows real promis to be a good SX system.
I started by changing the cache from 16KB to the Maxed out Huge amount of 64KB 🤣
System Performance definatly improved alot.

I have been toying with the Jumpers on the board. I have 2 questions to put out to the more learned:

1. JP7. Its listed as different things depending where i look.

Filename
cap39.pdf
File size
128.86 KiB
Downloads
61 downloads
File comment
Manual for Motherboard
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

and https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/E/E … 6-WH-386SX.html
This is the motherboard manual and states that this for enabling the cache. Well from my testing with the jumper off Cache check shows the cache is enabled already!
When the jumper is installed the system wont post. It shows the Diamond ET4000 VGA banner and then hangs.
Stason and the clone websites say this jumper is "Pipeline Mode Enable" when Jumpered. I am confused as to what this is trying to do... Any Ideas?

2. System Clock. Currently it is jumpered as:
JP4 1-2, JP6 2-3
This gives me a ISA bus speed of 8.25MHz (66MHz / 😎.
What would happend if i set the jumpers for a /6 ratio (11MHz) will this affect the isa bus or improce things? what is the most common problems with clocking a ISA bus that fast or is it safe??? to do so or will it affect things to overclock them.

So far the system is running well but just want to extract all the potential with out going over the top!
Thanks All....

Reply 1 of 20, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Overclocking the ISA bus isn’t very problematic with most VGA cards

But the hard drive/controller may flake out, especially if it’s scsi.

Sound is hit or miss , only way to know is to test the system for stability.

I’ve had my ISA bus as fast as 16mhz running stable but my sound card and modem would flake out.

Reply 2 of 20, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

HDD is Standard IDE. I have a IDE to SD card running DOS6.22 (Win 3.11 for that total pain in the a## feel) and a few old games such as lemmings and Monkey island. Thats all i have had time to do as its a 43*c (109.4*F) day here in South Aust. and the computer is in a tin shed!

I havent had a chance to adjust the jumpers to OC the bus yet just incase it toasts my data on the card.

Reply 3 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Video cards that rely on the ISA clock for generating output signal will have a LOT of trouble, especially with LCDs. Acumos cards for example are terrible in this regard. Your mileage may vary.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 20, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ISA cards can usually handle 10 or 11Mhz. 12Mhz is where things can start getting iffy.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2019-12-19, 00:20. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 5 of 20, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would stick with 8.25 MHz. With that external cache (which is quite rare on a 386SX motherboard), you should already see a nice performance boost.
Maybe run some benchmarks and report back (Philscomputerlab has a DOS benchmark pack for 386 PC's that you can download).

Reply 6 of 20, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the advice guys. When it cools off here, as we are in the middle of a heat wave i will give some benchmark results...

Still dont know what that jumper does!

Reply 7 of 20, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

Sorry it’s been a while but with Heat, Fire etc. over here I haven’t had much time to play with the system. I purchased a Co-Processor (387sx33) and fitted it to the mainboard. I re ran some testing with the Jumpers.

I have done some benchmarking with Different Combinations of CACHE and CO Processor.

I have some slightly interesting Results.... Only slightly though. It seems that for general gaming a Co-Processor does not actually aide much. There has been heated discussion on a few of the forums about this so I thought I’d come up with Proof of what I already knew!

I have determined that my mystery Jumper (JP7) has the only effect of making the system no boot when changed. I have tried this with different Cache and No Cache fitted, Co Pro installed and Not.

The system will not run well with the ISA bus overclocked.

Final Build Specifications are:

1. AMD AM386sx33 @33MHz
  2. 16MB (4 x 4MB 60ns)
  3. 64KB Cache (15ns)
  4. 1MB ET4000ax
  5. Creative SB16 (OPL 3)
  6. 3com 3c905 LAN
  7. xTIDE BOIS
  8. 2GB SD in SDIDE
  9. Generic CDROM
  10. Microsoft Serial Mouse
  11. Generic (IPEX) AT Keyboard

Its running very well, Stable and Fun!

Benchmarks Results:

Attachments

• Filename
    386sxbench.pdf
    File size
    46.39 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 20, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How's the 386SX fare with DOS games except Doom? Decent ISA card is harder to get with performance minded like 1MB WD 90C31 or very late cirrus logic. I'm aware of Tnesg ET4000 cost on ebay is high but I had benched the Doom on a ISA ET4000 and a generic cached baby AT 386DX 25 but did not keep (was at store) while ago (Late summer 1994) and did ok but with some stuttering.

Secondly, how is your DOS games compatibility with ET4000AX?

I have a 386DX 33 SiS chip set Asus motherboard stashed away in closest. Yet to get is ISA video card.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 9 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-02-10, 00:45:

How's the 386SX fare with DOS games except Doom?

This depends very much on whether your system has cache or not. Without cache, it performs basically on par with a similarly clocked 286; my 386SX-25 without cache can deal with any game up until 1991 that I can throw at it. Starting with 1991 and onwards, certain games can become problematic. For example Civilization (1991) can become a real pain in larger maps and late game, Wing Commander II (1991) isn't a good experience, Dune II (1992) is slow, and Ultima Underworld (1992) is near impossible to play. It still plays most 1991-1992 games OK, though. 1993? Forget it.

Reply 10 of 20, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the '90 we didn't have the best 386DX mobos with fastest cache, RAM and VGAs we can buy today. Most people had cheap (and reliable) but only half-decent PCs and many games of the day were meant for such systems. So a pimped-out 386SX33 system, with cache to boot, should be reasonably fast.

The problem with games of that era is 16-bit code of the x86 family is horribly inefficient, and some apps might even run 8086 rather than 286 compatible code, so you aren't even using some goodies that newer CPUs had like rotates with immediate argument greater than 1 for example. 386 or not, it would be slow, and to add insult to injury the 386 had some instructions execute slower than 286 (that was the cost of having a new 32-bit CPU). So basically only 33 and 40 MHz 386SX CPUs would be faster than the top-of-the-line 25MHz 286 PCs.

The wider registers and new addressing modes of 386 were a huge performance boost but not available in 16-bit mode, and the games that required 32-bit CPUs typically assumed you'd have a DX25 at the very least so an SX system would again feel slow but for different reasons. That being said, Ultima Underworld can be playes on 386SX16 if you can live with Wolf3D-style graphics settings (no texturing on floors and ceilings). Note, back then 10fps was considered playable and in fact much faster systems can make the enemies way more difficult for example.

Reply 11 of 20, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mystery jumper is possibly for IRQ9 compatibility. It's something I've come across on a number of early 386 boards. Good luck with the build - a 386 was my first system as a kid and still my favourite selection of games.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 12 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima Underworld is certainly not playable on a 386SX25 (no cache) using ANY settings unless your definition of playable is a stuttering slideshow..

Reply 13 of 20, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-10, 11:43:

Ultima Underworld is certainly not playable on a 386SX25 (no cache) using ANY settings unless your definition of playable is a stuttering slideshow..

Just because it's not locked at 144fps doesn't mean it's unplayable. Sure it's a bit sluggish on Marty (and lowering detail level helps a lot) but by no means a "stuttering slideshow". Though granted, I haven't tested the PC version on anything slower than 386DX40 - I suppose having ISA bus between the CPU and graphics card could reduce performance a lot. I'll add that to the list of things to try sometime.

Reply 14 of 20, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote on 2020-02-10, 13:31:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-10, 11:43:

Just because it's not locked at 144fps doesn't mean it's unplayable. Sure it's a bit sluggish on Marty (and lowering detail level helps a lot) but by no means a "stuttering slideshow". Though granted, I haven't tested the PC version on anything slower than 386DX40 - I suppose having ISA bus between the CPU and graphics card could reduce performance a lot. I'll add that to the list of things to try sometime.

Just a reminder that the 386SX was the bare minimum required CPU to run Ultima Underworld 1.

Reply 15 of 20, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-10, 13:39:

Just a reminder that the 386SX was the bare minimum required CPU to run Ultima Underworld 1.

Well of course it was, the game used DOS-extender so a 32-bit CPU was required to even run at all. I tried to find some gameplay examples on YT but most are just using DOSBOX. There's one guy who used 386 at 25MHz (no clue if DX or SX) and says 'The 386 is almost a bit too slow for Ultima Underworld.' - almost being the key word here. Lower the details and it becomes more responsive (if also a bit uglier). I'd post a link but that person has no idea how to play and bumbles around in dark all the time, there's barely anything visible on the screen to judge the speed.

Again, it was the early '90 and games did look and run like that on many PCs. Let's not pretend everyone had a 486DX2 at the time UU launched.

Reply 16 of 20, by flakes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree with the General Play. I built this to play some of the older games like they were played. No one I knew had top of the line 486's in the early 90's.. If you did then good for you but majority of people had the basics as they were so expensive (Here in Aust.)

I went overkill with the 16MB RAM and the ET4000ax VGA. 2 or 4MB system ram would have been period correct with a average trident or basic cirrus 512KB VGA.

The only reason i put in the Co-Processor was to show that it made almost no difference with period correct Games. Yes I could start Quake since it had a Co-Pro but why would you want to play that on this type of system? of cause if you didn’t have anything else then a Co-Pro may be the go but they were very expensive and almost no home user could justify the expense to get a game to run ~1fps!

It is quite happy with Duke and the rest for this era (1990-3)

It also clocks back to the Magic 8MHz (As Reported in Landmark and others) when De-Turbo. I can’t recall if it still enabled cache in that state.....

It defiantly worth a place in my retro line up so far...
386sx33
486DX 66, 32MB, Cirrus VBA 5428 (1MB)
P233MMX, 64MB, TNT2
PII 450MHz, 128MB, GeForce 2
PIII 1GHz, 1GB, GeForce 4
P4 2.4GHz, 2-4?GB, ATI 5? (In build)

Reply 17 of 20, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made a list with pics of nearly every game I played on my 386. 1995 was waaaay too long to be using that platform before I upgraded though. The fun part was replaying all the newer games to see how they were intended!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 18 of 20, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it runs on 80186 16Mhz 😉 but indeed, its not fast.
also Next186 will run it (FPGA)

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 19 of 20, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote on 2020-02-13, 08:13:

it runs on 80186 16Mhz 😉 but indeed, its not fast.
also Next186 will run it (FPGA)

You sure about it? I remember it required EMS memory to run, and so assumed it's that weird DOS extender that Origin used for their other games as well.
Next186 opencores.org page says "May run real mode 32bit 386 applications with a 32bit software extender (see EMU386)." - so the way I understand it, Next186 actually emulates 32-bit wide registers and new instruction encoding but not the full-fat paging and protection mechanism. That would be enough for many "flat-mode" apps to run.

EDIT: Well, it seems that EMU386 is a software 386 emulator. Which means it will cut the performance of the host platform to about 1/3, probably more like 1/4, when intercepting 386 code. On the other hand, the Next186 core executes most instructions in one clock cycle, has (small) internal cache and 32-bit external bus so can fetch new instructions twice as fast. On top of it it's capable of some 40-50 MHz operation on most common FPGAs, so that makes is more like 486 limited to 16-bit code. Let's say a 40MHz system, cut down to some 10MHz by EMU386 on 32-bit heavy code, that's still equivalent of about 16MHz non-cached 386DX speeds. Enough to run UU1.

So I guess I need to properly refresh my memory and try to run UU1 on a 286 system I have now to make sure - if it does run then the game engine is even more impressive than I thought.