VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

I have come across a rather shabby looking Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT. Well, shabby, the case looks just fine but the internal batteries have crapped all over the innards and I think wreaked havoc. It simply won't boot although the hard drive tries to grind, and amazingly the main battery still holds charge.

I will try to open it up tonight or this weekend to have a proper inspection.

Anyways...likely the electronics in it are done for, although would be nice to salvage the CD drive and the screen if possible. I was thinking of grabbing a cheap working CDS version that maybe has a bad screen and swapping them over.

So my question is - could this only work with the 430 CDS? Or could I find a 400 or 410 CDS and switch them over fine? I'm not fussed about high performance. In fact I'm acting for as low-performance as possible, as I'd like it to be a Windows 3.11 laptop.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's different layouts in the 4xx series but the 430 and the 400/410 seem to have the same setup with the speaker on the front and the fan on the back.

However, it's not always possible to swap DSTNs for TFTs because they might have different controller boards for the panels. Since 4xx, 5xx and 7xx CDT models are not exactly rare it might be a lot easier to just buy one that works and go with that. The problem that I had with them is that the design is far from modular and changing some parts (cooling fan!) may require a lot of disassemply. On the plus side, Toshiba maintenance manuals are very detailed and will walk you through all the steps.